House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laurejon

A Real Turkey

Given the spate of attacks in Turkey over the past months, surely many people will now be looking to liquidate their property ASAP.

Would the EU seriously consider the possibility of ever allowing Turkey to Join the EU?.

Given the spate of attacks in Turkey over the past months, surely many people will now be looking to liquidate their property ASAP.

Would the EU seriously consider the possibility of ever allowing Turkey to Join the EU?.

Turkey......avoided it completely. Advised everybody I knew to not touch it with a bargepole.

Turkey......the name says it all.

The Lira's also taken a caning recently, and interest rates have gone from 11.7% to about 18%.

That's gotta hurt!

I wouldn't be surprised if they're in the midst of a major housing slump.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...mp;refer=europe

Turkey......avoided it completely. Advised everybody I knew to not touch it with a bargepole.

Turkey......the name says it all.

I'm interested in your reasons for saying that, as I've said the same and know someone who bought 3 properties there.

Guest mattsta1964

I'm interested in your reasons for saying that, as I've said the same and know someone who bought 3 properties there.

Lambs to the slaughter. Supreme folly

You may be right. The guy I know bought a place in 2002 and literally doubled his money when he sold in 2004, at wich point he bought 3 more, off-plan.

I have a friend who's bought off-plan in Bulgaria, he happily told me "There's building going on everywhere".

To him this seemed good news, that the place was a property "hotspot".

I just thought major overdevelopment, and major housing crash!

He won't get out in time.

My reasons. OK,well first of all you have that appalling human rights record. Those kurds on the southern borders are unfortunately enduring the wrath of Turkish "democracy". Oh yes and of course it borders on Iraq which is never good especially as that country is in the midst of a civil war. Turkey historically is the centrepiece of islamic-christian conflict (not a good claim to fame in current climate). Turkey is a notoriously corrupt nation. Turkish property has always been very very cheap and like the Bulgarian, Romanian, Hungarian property markets it is easy to draw in gullible Brits paying double the price thinking they have a bargain. Most importantly as mentioned before is the volatility of the currency. The Turkish Lira has been all over the place and the economy is faltering. Plus the whole thing is fuelled by speculation about joining the EU. Things will have to change before that happens IMO.

My reasons. OK,well first of all you have that appalling human rights record. Those kurds on the southern borders are unfortunately enduring the wrath of Turkish "democracy". Oh yes and of course it borders on Iraq which is never good especially as that country is in the midst of a civil war. Turkey historically is the centrepiece of islamic-christian conflict (not a good claim to fame in current climate). Turkey is a notoriously corrupt nation. Turkish property has always been very very cheap and like the Bulgarian, Romanian, Hungarian property markets it is easy to draw in gullible Brits paying double the price thinking they have a bargain. Most importantly as mentioned before is the volatility of the currency. The Turkish Lira has been all over the place and the economy is faltering. Plus the whole thing is fuelled by speculation about joining the EU. Things will have to change before that happens IMO.

17th March 2006 - £1 = 2,220,746 turkish lira

26th June 2006 - £1 = 3,115,881 turkish lira

So basically if you bought a property around the end of 2005 beginning of 2006 you have already lost 30% of your houses value.

Not sure if anyone caught the latest from Turkey:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/28082006/325/bomb...ons-turkey.html

Bombs wound 10 Britons in Turkey
Reuters Monday August 28, 08:42 AM
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Four separate bombs at a popular Turkish coastal resort and in the country's largest city Istanbul wounded at least 27 people, including 10 British tourists, authorities said on Monday.
Ten Britons and 11 Turks were wounded when their minibus blew up on one of the main streets of Marmaris, a busy tourist town on the Mediterranean coast. The British Foreign Office said three
(Advertisement)
of the Britons were in intensive care.
There were no immediate claims of responsibility.

If the Brits start jacking up local house prices in Bulgaria so that the locals are priced out they might face some Welsh style burnings down the road. :o

As for Turkey, there is a LOT of resentment against them as they are a pro-Europe secular government despite having a large Muslim population. The bombings may be part of the Holy War to rid Turkey of the infidel government.

Edited by Realistbear

When looking through holiday brochures I have always given Turkey a wide berth, because I have never read anything but bad news about the place. For this I was told not to be so silly, its a great place and well worth a visit.

Well the recent news confirms to me what I have always thought, its a religous, political, nightmare and the thought of investing two weeks on a beach there brings me out in goosepimples, the idea of owning a property there?. I would rather have teeth pulled!!!.

When looking through holiday brochures I have always given Turkey a wide berth, because I have never read anything but bad news about the place. For this I was told not to be so silly, its a great place and well worth a visit.

Well the recent news confirms to me what I have always thought, its a religous, political, nightmare and the thought of investing two weeks on a beach there brings me out in goosepimples, the idea of owning a property there?. I would rather have teeth pulled!!!.

I too, would not want a property there. I'm no snob, but you get a real chav type of Brit holIday maker there now.

Having said that I do a lot of business in Turkey, and it is a most beautiful country. The people I have met are the friendliest I've met anywhere.

Edited by Casual Observer

I can imagine it is a lovely country, lots of architecture and landscapes, but the political problems for me make it a non starter.

The single most prerequisite of anywhere I travel to is that I wake up in the morning alive in good health :D

The Turkish lira dioesn't have the impact on house prices you might think.

When it went into freefall the last time, property would have sold for peanuts but US dollars were used to buy and sell property to foreigners. So instead of losing 30% of the value, you could actually be "quids in" ifd you then converted dollars to lira.

You still have that today too, alongside euros.

Not that I would buy there.

Ah Turkey

Too big...

Too poor...

Too muslim... :unsure:

So the EU are probably desperate to let 'em in :rolleyes:

Guest mattsta1964

You may be right. The guy I know bought a place in 2002 and literally doubled his money when he sold in 2004, at wich point he bought 3 more, off-plan.

Right place, right time. No different from the UK property market. If I had bought in 95-96, I wouldn't be freaking out like I am right now. I bought in 2001. Prices were too high even then and I have always been acutely aware that I might have to sell in a hurry. I've tried very hard not to become emotionally attached to my home but it's extremely difficult. I am really happy where I am but being self employed in manufacturing, I've decided I have to sell...and very quickly.

The bastards who run the UK have made property ownership the biggest financial gamble you'll ever make in your life. Buy at the wrong time in the cycle and you could be financially ruined for a lifetime. It makes me so angry it has come to this. I just wanted to own my own home. I never wanted it to be a money spinner, just a place to settle down and be happy. I absolutely abjectly detest what this country has become. I am soooo bloody angry. I want to leave and the only reason I have postponed selling earlier and getting out is my parents' health. God! The day I leave the UK for the last time will be the happiest day of my life. I'll arrive in the other side of the channel and just think.... YESSSSSSS! I dunnit. I got out of the UK forever.

Yes I am seething with crooked Tony and his cronies, but it's the British people themselves I reserve the most contempt for. They are allowing our democracy and freedoms to be eroded. They allowed this country to decimate it's manufacturing industry, they allowed themselves to indulge in the biggest credit splurge in the bloody universe without EVEN considering what the consequences might be. It should never have come to this!

I'm voting with my feet. Next weekend, my place is going on the market. God willing I'll be able to sell it and walkout with a modest amount of money in my pocket. Then I'm leaving.......for good

Right place, right time. No different from the UK property market. If I had bought in 95-96, I wouldn't be freaking out like I am right now. I bought in 2001. Prices were too high even then and I have always been acutely aware that I might have to sell in a hurry. I've tried very hard not to become emotionally attached to my home but it's extremely difficult. I am really happy where I am but being self employed in manufacturing, I've decided I have to sell...and very quickly.

The bastards who run the UK have made property ownership the biggest financial gamble you'll ever make in your life. Buy at the wrong time in the cycle and you could be financially ruined for a lifetime. It makes me so angry it has come to this. I just wanted to own my own home. I never wanted it to be a money spinner, just a place to settle down and be happy. I absolutely abjectly detest what this country has become. I am soooo bloody angry. I want to leave and the only reason I have postponed selling earlier and getting out is my parents' health. God! The day I leave the UK for the last time will be the happiest day of my life. I'll arrive in the other side of the channel and just think.... YESSSSSSS! I dunnit. I got out of the UK forever.

Yes I am seething with crooked Tony and his cronies, but it's the British people themselves I reserve the most contempt for. They are allowing our democracy and freedoms to be eroded. They allowed this country to decimate it's manufacturing industry, they allowed themselves to indulge in the biggest credit splurge in the bloody universe without EVEN considering what the consequences might be. It should never have come to this!

I'm voting with my feet. Next weekend, my place is going on the market. God willing I'll be able to sell it and walkout with a modest amount of money in my pocket. Then I'm leaving.......for good

There are lots of 30 somethings I know selling their houses and leaving these shores.

Guest mattsta1964

There are lots of 30 somethings I know selling their houses and leaving these shores.

I'm 42. It wont be so easy for me to start all over somewhere else. Thank heavens I don't have any kids to worry about.

ANYTHING is better than staying here. It's got to the point where I cringe everytime I open a newspaper or watch the news.

I am 100% convinced the UK will be a 3rd world country in 10 years time. I have absolutely NO DOUBT whatsoever I am speaking the truth

I have travelled extensively and the problem i'd have about going to live abroad apart from being a long way from my family is that everywehre abroad i'd like to live is almost as expensive as here......

I've had great holidays in out-of-the-way places but when it comes to a home i want to be in a reasonably cosmopolitAN diverse area with lots going on..where i can get a job easily..

eg in USA I would only consider biggish town in North East or West Coast or maybe Chicago........

People prepared to live in out-of-the-way places in the US though would find housing a lot cheaper than in outlying parts of Britain.........same goes for most other countries

Edited by Michael

Bulgaria is the holiday home hot spot for Sheeple these days. Bulgaria? :ph34r:

ive heard lebanon is going to be the next hotspot, especially now you can buy a lot of properties offplan