House Price Crash Forum

The Miracle Is Revealed.....

Wayo

Guest Bart of Darkness

Yup! Get on Big Brother instead or become famous for being a worthless fekkwit

Who was the fat ugly slapper who didn't win BB but got lots of publicity?

There u go. The future of UK PLC! Tragic

Jade Goody.

I wonder what Cameron is going to do with this mess in 3/4 years time?

I sympathise with the Tories on this one.......They were only voted out in 1997 because people felt 18 years was long enough for any government..........New Labour inherited a sound economy......but the Tories will inherit a crap one bacause by the time of the next election (2009/2010) the sh*t will have hit the fan.....

HPI would have occurred under the Tories, I grant you but there'd have been less tax and spend..

Edited by Michael

New Labour inherited a sound economy......but the Tories will inherit a crap one bacause by the time of the next election (2009/2010) the sh*t will have hit the fan.....

But that's what usually happens. Labour stuff up the economy, then the Tories are elected to fix it, then when it's fixed people turn against the Tories and vote Labour because Labour promise them free stuff. Then they whine about how the economy was so bad under the Tories until Labour stuff it up again.

It's like the old 'two barbers in a town, one with great hair, one with awful hair, which do you choose?' logic question.

Edited by MarkG

We have far too many managers and pen pushers in this country and not enough people who actually make something. The fact that subjects like management and media studies are more popular than engineering, chemistry etc. in our universities says it all.

Our trade deficit in goods is unsustainable in the long run, service exports are real and useful, but they're never going to be enough on their own to make up the shortfall.

I used to work for a financial company and what you say was definitely true there. I remember one time 6 managers held a meeting to discuss what one "do-er" was doing. Fleckin ridiculous. So many companies must be riddled with talkers who slow down processes and make things worse.

I often think that a country starts to reflect the character of its leader. Tony is a lawyer and into spin, rhetoric and meetings. Britain as a nation has followed suit. I saw a documentary once in which some ex-cabinet ministers were expressing concern about how TB couldn't see beyond his profession and was running the government like it was a law firm.

Anyway too many chiefs not enough indians. Britain is a pyramid scheme now.

it's not the manufacturing capability we need most,it's the innovation and engineering.

UK needs "ideas" people to keep a competitive edge.What we have now is a serious dearth of people in this field,because it involves hard work and you don't get brownie points for matters of opinion.It either succeeds or fails,there is no shades of grey in the middle.

the manufacturing side will bounce back here as a result of spiralling energy costs...meaning it will not be as cost effective to ship from china.Or perhaps revolutionary products we wouldn't dare let china make because their record on corporate piracy is abysmal.I think the latter is pretty unlikely as we have a nation of media-studies muppets.

pity really,anyone who has got to grips with history knows that world domination is achieved through technical superiority.....the egyptians,the greeks,the romans,victorian britain,the germans(almost)....the yanks(mostly ideas pinched from the hitler program as war reparations)

HG wells realised this,that's how he came to write war of the worlds.

Re Media studies

Creative industries is infact big business it is 8% of GDP and 4% of export income , global market place is 1.2 Trillion $ , it is infact a very high growth industry so people need training for this industry.

To be fair, I think she was too thick niave to think that going on BB would bring her fame and fortune. She has since gained a fortune of approx £2 million and setup her own beauty salon chain which is what she always wanted to do. Fot that, I raise my hat.

Everyone else has just gone on for the fame and to try to get into tv presenting.

Guest wrongmove

Re Media studies

Creative industries is infact big business it is 8% of GDP and 4% of export income , global market place is 1.2 Trillion $ , it is infact a very high growth industry so people need training for this industry.

I have always wondered why media studies gets such a bad press. Are there lots of particularly bad media studies courses around or something ?

Walk into a newsagents - there are dozens and dozens of magazines on any subject you care to mention. Switch on the TV or the radio, or surf the net - again loads of channels and material that simply wasn't there 20 years ago. Someone has to produce all this stuff.

It seems to me that the media has been a huge growth industry since "I was a lad" - there must be money to be made there.

Creative industries is infact big business it is 8% of GDP and 4% of export income

Most people I know who took 'media studies' degrees are either on the dole, doing temp office work, or making wedding videos.

It seems to me that the media has been a huge growth industry since "I was a lad" - there must be money to be made there.

As far as I can see there's less and less money to be made in media all the time: hence the explosion of 'reality shows' and similar tat over the last few years. Why pay a decent wage for a proper camera, lighting and actors when you can stick a few people in a house and get a 'media studies' student with a camcorder to video them?

That's what happens when you get an explosion of channels with a much lower increase in funding.

Even with oil prices increased dramatically, shipping is extremely energy-efficient: there's no way the cost of shipping the average product from China to Britain will compensate for a 20x difference in wages, even before you consider the extremely expensive regulations on manufacturers in this country.

Sure, on the margin it might affect some items with low labour costs and high transport costs (not that I can think of any), but the majority will just increase in price to compensate.

I would question this statement.

"Even with oil prices increased dramatically, shipping is extremely energy-efficient".

Shipping costs are very competitive and the companies will try to offload costs by cutting the less profitable routes (Just look at airlines for parallels), This in turn will mean more land transit costs (Diesel costs increasing) to get to the re-routed destination and has a magnification effect on global transport costs.

Remember, Oil effects Everything in an Oil Based Economy !

This HPC (with G or not), Recession, Depression is more a "Globalisation Crash".

China may be able to produce cheaply (For the moment) but if it can't get it's goods to market it wil fail.

Students top Job choice.. This is certainly one of the responsibilities of central government. To formulate and direct education strategies. That is not to say that they should decide how many people do what subject, but that stimulating and supporting certain subjects has a long term benefit for the country. However, it cannot simply be how many people pass an exam or get a degree but what that learning imparts on the student and the benefit it will have for them, and hopefully everyone at a later date.

I see from the above article that this survey suggest that young people want to become investment bankers (current boom in the city). 3-4 years ago it was medicine (govt initiative plus gp salaries) 7 years ago Information technology (dot com boom) . See a pattern forming here ? As it takes 3-4 years to get qualified in these subjects the markets these students target are usually past their best by the time the get to move in. The IT market is currently swamped (various reasons) and medical professionals are having problems finding open positions (strangely, many of the same reasons as IT).

The Gov't wants half of all students to go to university for a degree. Why half ? Why not 30 percent or 90 percent. Nobody has ever explained to me the rationale behind this , seemingly arbitrary, figure. How many jobs really demand art history or psychology ?

Guest mattsta1964

Students top Job choice.. This is certainly one of the responsibilities of central government. To formulate and direct education strategies. That is not to say that they should decide how many people do what subject, but that stimulating and supporting certain subjects has a long term benefit for the country. However, it cannot simply be how many people pass an exam or get a degree but what that learning imparts on the student and the benefit it will have for them, and hopefully everyone at a later date.

I see from the above article that this survey suggest that young people want to become investment bankers (current boom in the city). 3-4 years ago it was medicine (govt initiative plus gp salaries) 7 years ago Information technology (dot com boom) . See a pattern forming here ? As it takes 3-4 years to get qualified in these subjects the markets these students target are usually past their best by the time the get to move in. The IT market is currently swamped (various reasons) and medical professionals are having problems finding open positions (strangely, many of the same reasons as IT).

The Gov't wants half of all students to go to university for a degree. Why half ? Why not 30 percent or 90 percent. Nobody has ever explained to me the rationale behind this , seemingly arbitrary, figure. How many jobs really demand art history or psychology ?

They should have organised higher education to provide better funding for those students choosing to study for degrees that will generate real wealth for the UK, engineers, scientists, physicists etc.

My engineering degree was chronically underfunded, only 10 hours of lectures in the final year. Pathetic. The Dean of Faculty was a crook. Paid money by the taxpayer to provide a crap degree. Instead of spending the money on us, they spent money on a de facto private company within the university campus. They obviously told the government the Centre for Rapid Design & Manufacture was there to provide for the students but they used it to do development work for private companies. The undergraduates never got near any of the brand new CNC machines and state of the art technology. I've never forgiven Brunel University for cheating me out of a decent degree. I took my complaints to the Quality Assurance Agency, the Quango set up to police standards in higher education but they never pursued my complaints with any vigour so I went to the Sunday Times with my story and they ran it back in 2000. I didn't get paid any money. I just wanted people to know what a bunch of conmen are creaming money off the taxpayer to provide worthless degrees. Just another example of what a pathetic scumhole this country is

China may be able to produce cheaply (For the moment) but if it can't get it's goods to market it wil fail.

China has a larger and deeper internal market than the whole of the US and will get by just fine once rising input prices force their manufacturing sector to reach westernised baselines for energy effiency; also - China is exchanging their output for ownership rights to productive overseas assets (unlike the OPEC nations).

China has a larger and deeper internal market than the whole of the US and will get by just fine once rising input prices force their manufacturing sector to reach westernised baselines for energy effiency; also - China is exchanging their output for ownership rights to productive overseas assets (unlike the OPEC nations).

Yes, China will survive I have no doubt of that, and do well internally (After the initial shock of global withdrawl), but it will cease to profit externally as the global conduits collapse (Outside of minority investment cabal's).

My engineering degree was chronically underfunded, only 10 hours of lectures in the final year.

In my final year of a Mech Eng degree we had ~26 hours/week, this was in 1993, we used to frown of those doing "micky mouse" courses with 10 hours per week lectures, now it seems engineering has been dumbed down to a mickey mouse degree /sigh

Edited by Snagger

Guest mattsta1964

In my final year of a Mech Eng degree we had ~26 hours/week, this was in 1993, we used to frown of those doing "micky mouse" courses with 10 hours per week lectures, now it seems engineering has been dumbed down to a mickey mouse degree /sigh

Yes. And this was a Brunel University degree! Isembard hasn't stopped spinning in his grave since I graduated. They destroyed any chance I had of a decent career in engineering. I was a mature student, 32 years old when I started. My last chance to build a worthwhile career and they fekked completely. B*stards! Now I'm just a CAD monkey.

Yes. And this was a Brunel University degree! Isembard hasn't stopped spinning in his grave since I graduated. They destroyed any chance I had of a decent career in engineering. I was a mature student, 32 years old when I started. My last chance to build a worthwhile career and they fekked completely. B*stards! Now I'm just a CAD monkey.

Isembard ?? Are you sure it was engineering.

He's probably spinning even faster now!!

But seriously universities are businesses and looking for profit (agreed its wrong but thats the way it is). They supply students with courses they want irrespective of the employment prospects at the end. Hence media studies, forensic science plus others with more students than jobs. Bums on seats is the name of the game. You need to be an informed customer more than ever.

IMHO The only courses worth doing are those that are difficult and have fierce competition for places.

Edited by DONT PANIC !!! DONT PANIC !!!

mattsta1964

It has been thus for a long time, your experiences are not unique.

Cynical, but on the ball.....................

http://www.cynicalbastards.com/ubs/index.html

bums.gif

Welcome to UBS

The Antithesis of Academic Excellence

Welcome to the University of Bums on Seats, where we believe that nobody should be exempt from a university education. As Vice Chancellor here for the past 13 months, I have attempted to revolutionise our educational paradigm to ensure a rich diversity of abilities are represented in our student body.

It is never too late to start your education. Even at this late point in the academic year, we have many vacancies for degree-courses. We pride ourselves on our 'character-over-qualifications' admissions policy which ensures that no-one will be rejected on any grounds except non-payment of fees.

Unlike many conventional universities, our modern, economical approach to teaching is delivered by the latest computerised teaching-aids, graduate assistants, and other budget-conscious methods.

We particularly welcome applications from overseas students, and we are proud to be one of the very few universities which does not require proficiency in English as a pre-requisite to enrol.

If you have ever considered investing in your future by gaining the qualifications you may have missed earlier in life, then now is the time to apply. No questions asked.

We look forward to receiving your tuition fees.

Prof Alan Dubious (MAd,TOTP,DipSHiT)

Vice Chancellor

Guest wrongmove

Another classic from the same site - fellow tenants may enjoy this:

IKAKA - Furnishings for the Frugal Landlord

Welcome to IKAKA - the sensible choice for landlords and others requiring large quantities of furniture at a price that's right.

In the past, we have often been confused with a certain Swedish furniture company. However whilst we both offer furniture at competitive prices, we at IKAKA appreciate that there are occasions where quantity over quality is a desirable. As a result we pride ourselves on being able to deliver tenant-quality, token furniture for use in "furnished" properties.

Our highly trained quality-control team inspect all furniture before dispatch to ensure no items of real quality are accidentally installed in your properties for use by your tenants.

<_<:P