House Price Crash Forum

Iht Is Posthumous Mugging

Guest UK Debt Slave

HOLA441
Guest mattsta1964

Another vain attempt by the Telegraph to attach Inheritance tax

Yes! The filthy dirty grubby money grabbing shyster will go to any lengths to disenfranchise the hard working middle classes.

There's no fate bad enough for Brown. He is the most despicable piece of shite that's ever graced this country. A desestable worm of a being. A greedy money grabbing piece of slime.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh.../ixopinion.html

Another vain attempt by the Telegraph to attach Inheritance tax

Yes! The filthy dirty grubby money grabbing shyster will go to any lengths to disenfranchise the hard working middle classes.

There's no fate bad enough for Brown. He is the most despicable piece of shite that's ever graced this country. A desestable worm of a being. A greedy money grabbing piece of slime.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh.../ixopinion.html

attack! Scuse spelling mistake :blink:

HOLA442
HOLA443
it's amazing, all these people complaining about losing a percentage of money which they have done nothing to earn and which 5 years ago they wouldn't have had anyway

Indeed. The government give people 'free money' through inflation, then people whine when the government want to steal it back when they die. What do they expect?

HOLA444

Cr@p- if your mum and dad slog their guts out paying their mortgage month in month out for 25 years why should Gordo and Tone get their sticky mitts on it when your folks depart this life?

When your grandparents went your mum and dad didn't have all this tax- the inheritance went on building the future for your parents and you. They way it's going and with prices being so high this won't happen- IHT hits pretty much everyone in certain areas of the UK.

Governments are good at one thing- pi$$ing away other peoples hard earned cash on waste, crack pot schemes and lining their own nests. You bet your a$$ that Tone, Gord, Prezza and all other ministers of the crown have seen themselves right at our expense.

HOLA445
Cr@p- if your mum and dad slog their guts out paying their mortgage month in month out for 25 years why should Gordo and Tone get their sticky mitts on it when your folks depart this life?

Oh yes, all those people who had to 'slog their guts out' to pay a mortgage that was down to the cost of a couple of pints of beer a month by the end of their 25 years, thanks to the wage inflation of the 70s and 80s. And those people who bought in the 90s and have 'slogged their guts out' to make 200,000 pounds or more of 'free money' from house price inflation.

Get real. There is no way a government that's spending more than it collects will not steal most of that 'free money' back when it has the opportunity to do so.

HOLA446
Guest mattsta1964

Oh yes, all those people who had to 'slog their guts out' to pay a mortgage that was down to the cost of a couple of pints of beer a month by the end of their 25 years, thanks to the wage inflation of the 70s and 80s. And those people who bought in the 90s and have 'slogged their guts out' to make 200,000 pounds or more of 'free money' from house price inflation.

Get real. There is no way a government that's spending more than it collects will not steal most of that 'free money' back when it has the opportunity to do so.

You smug patronising git

You probably voted for Bliar in 97

HOLA447
You smug patronising git

What exactly are you disagreeing with in my post? Are you claiming that someone who took out a mortgage in the late 60s didn't see their payments reduced to a pittance by 25 years of wage inflation or that the government can't look at a big pile of 'free money' without seeing a new source of taxes to steal?

HOLA448
Guest mattsta1964

What exactly are you disagreeing with in my post? Are you claiming that someone who took out a mortgage in the late 60s didn't see their payments reduced to a pittance by 25 years of wage inflation or that the government can't look at a big pile of 'free money' without seeing a new source of taxes to steal?

No. You're right

I apologise

We are well and truly stuffed aren't we :(

HOLA449

I'm not arguing that the shysters in government won't pass up any opportunity to dip into your pocket- what I am arguing is that inheritance tax has morphed into something it wasn't intended to be.

Whatever wage inflation did or did not do the point is that your parents or grandparents took pride in the fact that by repaying their mortgage every month, year in, year out they would be able to give their loved ones a helping hand after they had gone.

It's kind of like Gordo marching into the house during the wake and stripping anything of value out of the place.

HOLA4410

big wow,

so people don't get something for nothing just because someones carked it!

whilst i do think tax levels are too high can't complain with this one, too many people have it good in this country because of what there parents did, not because of what they did,

i say increase inheritance tax and lower other taxes, it would be a step towards a meritocracy this country deserves instead of the 'but i'm middle class i deserve something' crap that gets peddled.

Edited by slurms mackenzie

HOLA4411

I guess what might get a lot of people's goat is that once they might have been able to leave their house to their children, possibly even for them to live in themselves. Unless they owned a huge mansion.

Now the government takes a big chunk of anything over, what, 250K? Lots of family-sized houses are now worth much more than that.

I guess it shows the ridiculous of the situation: houses should be places for live-in, but now they're assets. You seemingly need full access to the entirety of the value of your parents' house to possibly consider buying a decent-sized place of your own. Which is odd really as you won't inherit until you're close to retirement age anyway. And you won't inherit very much if your dead old mum or dad develops AD or PD...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The problem is whenever this is reported in the press it's the threshold of the tax which is deemed to be the problem not the value of assets, they're looking at it from the wrong angle its the value of the estates that are worth too much causing problems.

Perhaps gordo ain't raising the threshold because he knows what we know.

HOLA4414

The problem is whenever this is reported in the press it's the threshold of the tax which is deemed to be the problem not the value of assets, they're looking at it from the wrong angle its the value of the estates that are worth too much causing problems.

well said- why should tax thresholds be changed to accomodate a house price bubble? - they weren't changed to allow for passing on wealth held in the stock market boom

if houses became exempt or the threshold was raised it would just support these ridiculous prices - and people wonder why the banks and building societies are so keen on the threshold being raised