House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

About To Kick Off In N Ireland Again

Just been speaking to a cousin in Ireland and it appears that there's been a major split in the Republican movement in the North, with many rural IRA men and women (Derry, Tyrone, Armagh - tend to be more militant than those from Belfast) splitting from Sinn Fein and their Belfast based comrades and joining dissidents - McGuinness and Adams being vilified by many. Wonder how this will impact on the new dawn for the province and the house price inflation there. I can see a very stormy few years ahead. Add into the mix the government's plan for a stronger role for the south if the DUP and Sinn Fein (the two biggest parties) cannot compromise and start sharing power by the end of the year (though progress towards compromise is being made slowly) and it looks like the place will destabilise badly, though I really hope it doesn't! If I'd invested in property there, I'd be v nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly...99-3048,00.html

Extract - couldn't find link for this one -

IRA dissidents join forces in new challenge to peace process

(by Suzanne Breen, Sunday Tribune)

Recently-defected Provisional IRA members will join forces with Real IRA and Continuity IRA activists at a public meeting in Co Derry on Tuesday in what they believe could lead to a ground-breaking challenge to the peace process.

Widespread disillusionment in Provisional IRA ranks has been followed by a notable increase in political and military activity by dissidents. Real IRA firebombs have destroyed several large stores in Newry, while a bomb was planted at the Co Louth home of Ulster Unionist peer, Lord Haughey.

Dissidents, previously riven with in-fighting, said it was time to set aside their differences, draw up a joint strategy, and challenge "Provisional domination".

Real IRA, INLA and Continuity IRA members, who will attend the meeting, said they hoped to develop a way forward and put an end to the marginalisation of dissident republicans. Political activists with no military involvement are also involved in organising the meeting and will be in attendance.

It has been advertised as taking place in Toome, Co Derry, chosen because last month – as reported in the Sunday Tribune – up to 40 members of the South Derry brigade of the Provisional IRA defected amidst disillusionment with the leadership's strategy.

Edited by gruffydd

Just been speaking to a cousin in Ireland and it appears that there's been a major split in the Republican movement in the North, with many rural IRA men and women (Derry, Tyrone, Armagh - tend to be more militant than those from Belfast) splitting from Sinn Fein and their Belfast based comrades and joining dissidents - McGuinness and Adams being vilified by many. Wonder how this will impact on the new dawn for the province and the house price inflation there. I can see a very stormy few years ahead. Add into the mix the government's plan for a stronger role for the south if the DUP and Sinn Fein (the two biggest parties) cannot compromise and start sharing power by the end of the year (though progress towards compromise is being made slowly) and it looks like the place will destabilise badly, though I really hope it doesn't! If I'd invested in property there, I'd be v nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly...99-3048,00.html

Extract - couldn't find link for this one -

IRA dissidents join forces in new challenge to peace process

(by Suzanne Breen, Sunday Tribune)

Recently-defected Provisional IRA members will join forces with Real IRA and Continuity IRA activists at a public meeting in Co Derry on Tuesday in what they believe could lead to a ground-breaking challenge to the peace process.

Widespread disillusionment in Provisional IRA ranks has been followed by a notable increase in political and military activity by dissidents. Real IRA firebombs have destroyed several large stores in Newry, while a bomb was planted at the Co Louth home of Ulster Unionist peer, Lord Haughey.

Dissidents, previously riven with in-fighting, said it was time to set aside their differences, draw up a joint strategy, and challenge "Provisional domination".

Real IRA, INLA and Continuity IRA members, who will attend the meeting, said they hoped to develop a way forward and put an end to the marginalisation of dissident republicans. Political activists with no military involvement are also involved in organising the meeting and will be in attendance.

It has been advertised as taking place in Toome, Co Derry, chosen because last month – as reported in the Sunday Tribune – up to 40 members of the South Derry brigade of the Provisional IRA defected amidst disillusionment with the leadership's strategy.

Just the threat of a return to sectarian violence or a single bomb could drop house prices 50% overnight. :o

Guest Alright Jack

Alluding I suppose to another thead, I think that the days of OO are GONE! Long gone. Given the epochal changes in the world today from oil scarcity and population overshoot to terrorism, ordinary folk putting all their eggs into one basket (often borrowed eggs) is really dumb.

I think renting will be the sensible thing for most people. Leave BTL to professionals. After all, since when was it sensible for a layperson to throw in their lot into an industry or business which they know nothing about?

Madness!

Society is changing radically and to assume there will be plentifull and regular work in any one place for a consecutive block of years is not bright in my opinion.

Alluding I suppose to another thead, I think that the days of OO are GONE! Long gone. Given the epochal changes in the world today from oil scarcity and population overshoot to terrorism, ordinary folk putting all their eggs into one basket (often borrowed eggs) is really dumb.

I think renting will be the sensible thing for most people. Leave BTL to professionals. After all, since when was it sensible for a layperson to throw in their lot into an industry or business which they know nothing about?

Madness!

Society is changing radically and to assume there will be plentifull and regular work in any one place for a consecutive block of years is not bright in my opinion.

YUp. A new era of poverty is about to dawn and the recent HPI-MEW was the party before the eternal hang-over. Industry has moved East, oil is now King and we don't have much left, the coming housing crash will return us to equilibrium where our houses reflect our ability to produce in a global market. We are not top dog in the world anymore and we can't expect to have house prices that suggest we are. Gordon conned the world for 9 years that Britain was a powerhouse whereas the reality was that it was house of cards built on cheap loans from Asia. The tide is going out, as Warren B would say, and Gordon is going to be standing there without his trunks on. :unsure:

Just the threat of a return to sectarian violence or a single bomb could drop house prices 50% overnight. :o

RB this is not true......across the pond things have been quiet as far as media coverage goes.....but stability over there is far from reached.

The citizens of Northern Ireland know this better than most.....and one would not cross a certain road into an opposing sectarian shop for fear of a serious repocussion.....this i fear is far from stable and as you say"just the threat of a return to sectarian violence could drop prices 50%" the threat my friend is there always, and does not affect consumer confidence.

I lived in Armagh and Derry for a few years but would not invest in property there though.

RB this is not true......across the pond things have been quiet as far as media coverage goes.....but stability over there is far from reached.

The citizens of Northern Ireland know this better than most.....and one would not cross a certain road into an opposing sectarian shop for fear of a serious repocussion.....this i fear is far from stable and as you say"just the threat of a return to sectarian violence could drop prices 50%" the threat my friend is there always, and does not affect consumer confidence.

I lived in Armagh and Derry for a few years but would not invest in property there though.

Please don't generalise on my behalf - what you say is not true for 95% of NI; yes there are certain areas that will allways be loyalist or republican go no areas but I have lived in Salisbury, S.E London, Liverpool, Notts, Derbyshire, Brighton and NI and the same (ie. no-go areas) can be said for a lot of places, especially Liverpool and Notts (and Bradford, Burley, Machester etc).

the real definition of No-go area should be an area to avoid if truth be told (they do tourist busses up and down the Falls now!!).

Properties in NI continue to rise because of the usual reasons (catch up / supply:demand) but also due to investment buyers form the south where house prices are crazy.

Furthermore, without delving too much into politcs (we will be here all day if we do) Sein Fein are comitted to peace now, or if you like comitted to democracy, as there vote is too strong to be jeopardized by a return to the old days.

Yes you still get head cases (eg . RIRA) but when I left London, I had very suspect neighbours and look what happend on the tube stations last year.

The reality of the situation is this; in any country there are nasty elements who are hell bent on chaos and destruction and if you don't believe this then you must be living in a bubble.

I just spent a few days there near the north coast & was amazed at how much building is going on there. Dozens of new builds since my last visit and tons in progress. Loads of the towns round there are pretty grim despite the lovely coastline, I'm sure this level of building will help to suppress prices.

I just spent a few days there near the north coast & was amazed at how much building is going on there. Dozens of new builds since my last visit and tons in progress. Loads of the towns round there are pretty grim despite the lovely coastline, I'm sure this level of building will help to suppress prices.

Yes, supply: demand is definitely a factor here.

Interestingly, the ratio of country dwellers : town dwellers is higher here than anywhere on the mainland (I got that from Griff Rhys Jones on the restoration programme he did!). Basically, NI has a lot of small holding properties and small farms for a variety of reasons (deforestation / potato famine etc). The point is this - the towns in NI only make up half the picture.

Oh right. People could die, lives ruined and all you are interested in is house prices. Seriously, you should have a serious look at your priorities.

With regard to the split in the republican movement, it has been well known for a while. The biggest issue seems to be policing. Sinn Fein are going to accept the policing board before the 24th November deadline, and this will cause a split. It will not however necessarily cause a return to violence. People in NI have no stomach for it, and if there is to be a united Ireland it will come from democratic means. In the post 911 world, there will also be little or no funding from the USA, which is now the IRA were able to sustain their campaign.

It was stated in the Belfast Telepgraph newspaper, which is the main daily paper for Northern Ireland, that house prices within commuting distance of Belfast increased by 8% in August alone. 8% increase in ONE month!

Edited by pod

Yes, supply: demand is definitely a factor here.

Interestingly, the ratio of country dwellers : town dwellers is higher here than anywhere on the mainland (I got that from Griff Rhys Jones on the restoration programme he did!). Basically, NI has a lot of small holding properties and small farms for a variety of reasons (deforestation / potato famine etc). The point is this - the towns in NI only make up half the picture.

The mainland - hate that phrase - it's v. political. Interesting how the BBC ramped up its use of 'the mainland' up massively at around the time of the Hunger Strikes, and then stopped using it half as much after the first IRA ceasefire. No doubt, the pseudo journalists operating from the COI were heavily involved in this kind of manipulation of language.

Edited by gruffydd

The Belfast Telegraph article was printed on 15th September 2006, entitled "Ulster house prices jump 8% in one month"

It states...

House Prices leapt by over eight per cent in parts of Northern Ireland in August alone, a new study revealed today. The monthly survey from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and the Ulster Bank showed spiralling price rises continue unabated. The biggest increases were in the Belfast travel to work area
Edited by pod

The mainland - hate that phrase - it's v. political. Interesting how the BBC introduced the phrase and ramped its use up massively at around the time of the Hunger Strikes, and then stopped using it half as much after the first IRA ceasefire.

You can never win in this overtly PC era: Mainland is used to reference exactly that - the rest of the UK that is not NI, I could have said Great Britain in fact because NI is not classified under that (check the front of your passport). But it all gets a bit silly really, the North, Ulster, the Free State, the Republic, Derry or Londonderry AGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh right. People could die, lives ruined and all you are interested in is house prices. Seriously, you should have a serious look at your priorities.

With regard to the split in the republican movement, it has been well known for a while. The biggest issue seems to be policing. Sinn Fein are going to accept the policing board before the 24th November deadline, and this will cause a split. It will not however necessarily cause a return to violence. People in NI have no stomach for it, and if there is to be a united Ireland it will come from democratic means. In the post 911 world, there will also be little or no funding from the USA, which is now the IRA were able to sustain their campaign.

Put far better than I could ever have managed, especially, 'People in NI have no stomach for it'.

Edited by prophet-profit

I'd never want to live in ulster, the whole place has such an oppressive, negative energy about it left over from past times, a real shame the natural beauty of the place is marred like this. It also reminds me of New Zealand a bit, you always get the feeling the party is happening somewhere else.

I'd never want to live in ulster, the whole place has such an oppressive, negative energy about it left over from past times, a real shame the natural beauty of the place is marred like this. It also reminds me of New Zealand a bit, you always get the feeling the party is happening somewhere else.

Shame - I am sure the residents of NI will be saddened by your future non-habitation ;)