House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Golden Shower

10 Million Want To Quit Over Taxed Uk

More personal rant than anything else.

ONE in five Britons — nearly 10m adults — is considering leaving the country amid growing disillusionment over the failure of political parties to deliver tax cuts, according to a new poll.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2330678,00.html

A bit of an extrapolation but, wow. I thought with three terms of NL that the British loved the fact they were getting gyped by the governement and being told they know how to spend our hard earned cash better than we do.

May just be my small little world, but I am sensing great anger towards NL these days. I suspect they could get routed at the next election if they are not careful.

A bit of an extrapolation but, wow. I thought with three terms of NL that the British loved the fact they were getting gyped by the governement and being told they know how to spend our hard earned cash better than we do.

May just be my small little world, but I am sensing great anger towards NL these days. I suspect they could get routed at the next election if they are not careful.

ONE in five Britons — nearly 10m adults — is considering leaving the country amid growing disillusionment over the failure of political parties to deliver tax cuts, according to a new poll.

Looks like its an indictment not just against NuLabour but political parties in the plural sense.

IMO, the taxes here are not that much worse thasn the US where I lived for a few years. However, the cost of housing is the big issue. Mortgages are the crippling feature and drain discretionary income. Council tax is also far too high and much higher than most places in the world. No doubt it will be going up again next year at slightly behind the current rate of real inflation: 5%.

I am not sure what the problem is but it seems that you are never any better off. Lower the taxes and you get HPI which drains you just the same. A Frenchman earning the same as a Brit is undoubtedly "better off" because his nice house in the country costs him 100k Euros whereas the equivalent resident of the Miracle Economy earns the same but is paying off a 300k semi with a view of the gasworks. I am certain the average German is better off having a house worth one quarter of the equivalent here. The sheeple have just been conned into thinking they are better off because their house is "worth" ten times what a Euro citizen owns. Problem is that its just opinion as to value and you can't spend it. Bottom line: HPI is a curse and benefits no one except a government who has foisted it on the population as a stealth tax (stampt, death duties, cgt etc.).

RB,

Indeed, the biggest lie of them all, when poeple wake up and realise what has happened and what knock on effect it will have on their future jobs prospects and standard of living they will be most displeased. Unoftunately many have been arm-twisted into this situation persuaded by all and sundry that if they do not participate they will forever be locked out of "being normal", keeping up with the Jones', being a fully functioning memeber of the consumer society. The reality is that now more people than ever are hopelessly over-extended and realiant on a job that can be switched to cheap migrant labour or shoved abroad.

Labour were voted into power on the promise of higher taxes and better public services. I could never understand why people bought this line. It was so obvious that our money was going to be wasted.

Thinking about it, if 20% of the population want to get out because they feel financially oppressed how many are going to actually do it? Seriously, a huge number might be planning to cut and run and put their houses on the market very soon.

I think Gordon's Miracle Economy is at the heart of the problem because people are slowly realising, due to negative doom and gloom in the press, that we are really a bankrupted nation and have nothing much to show other than debt and the inevitability of a recession as the borrown and spend has to end eventually.

The state of the nation is revealed in the rising obesity rates. Depression is up and overeating is one of the symptoms as people seek comfort in more food and drink. The thought that our houses are going to double in 5 years no longer holds out a hope for being better off as the sheeple are tired and see no benefit to a 1 million pound house if you can't actually enjoy the wealth.

The idea of a Miracle Economy of HPI-MEW is as bankrupt as the nation we are sadly becoming. I think the misery will set in hard as winter approaches and the forests of for sale signs start to spring up as that 20% try to escape for sunnier climes.

:(

Thinking about it, if 20% of the population want to get out because they feel financially oppressed how many are going to actually do it?

A very small number indeed. Lots of people talk. Virtually none actually walk.

Yes and how many will have the skills or family connections overseas to go to the UK's favourites like Oz and the US? We're not particularly good at languages either.

Labour were voted into power on the promise of higher taxes and better public services. I could never understand why people bought this line. It was so obvious that our money was going to be wasted.

:lol:

How true! I think there is a large part of the UK population that expect the government to come up with solutions to all their woes. Large governments will only add to them!

How true! I think there is a large part of the UK population that expect the government to come up with solutions to all their woes. Large governments will only add to them!

The problem is not high taxes per se but we are getting out of them.

I wouldnt mind paying all this tax if, for example, we had a frequent, affordable, clean, safe and reliable public transport network that ran 24/7. What we actually have in return for all the tax we pay is an infreqent, filthy, unreliable and unsafe public transport system that is possibly the most expensive in the entire world and stops running before the pubs close.

Thats just Bliars' Britain all over though, isnt it?

Indeed, I never grasped why people voted for this.....public sector has always had a terrible reputation when it came to value-for-money....chucking money at it rarely brings improvements. "Investment in infrastructure" is a crock of $hite...there is no "infrastructure" it is going on more public employees doing the same job with more bureaucracy.

Indeed, I never grasped why people voted for this.....public sector has always had a terrible reputation when it came to value-for-money....chucking money at it rarely brings improvements. "Investment in infrastructure" is a crock of $hite...there is no "infrastructure" it is going on more public employees doing the same job with more bureaucracy.

How I wish the BoE had been mandated to suppress the verbal hyperinflation of the last nine years.

Guest mattsta1964

The UK has been terribly badly run for a long time now and I think the disillusionment felt by people is not just directed at Nu Lab but at a political system that has failed to deliver since the 1960's. We still have the most backward public transport system, the worst educated people in the industrialised world and a crippling cost of living. It is quite feassble that the number of people who will vote in the next general election will be so low that the cracks in our so called democracy might become much more visible. When the crash comes, and I'm now certain it isn't very far away, and people are losing their homes and jobs all the right conditions will exist for civil unrest etc.

As far as emmigration goes, well, I'm only here now to see out my parents. After that, I will definitely be leaving the UK for good. As for where to go? Well Australia and New Zealand are suffering from the same malaise as the UK and they don't want us anyway (Who can blame them?). I'd never live in the USA. Canada sounds very nice but the winters are too long and cold for me. France is a nation in rapid decine and I think there could be some antagonism against UK property owners over there if the French people continue to be priced out of their own property market by British people looking for a better life. I like Spain alot, especially the Pyrennes. I'd stay well clear of any expat hotspots on the Costas. Maybe a move to the Fareast isn't so crazy. All the world's wealth is heading east and this might be the area to try and create a future.

Whatever, I'm convinced the UK is a spent nation. There is NO future here.

I'm off, and I've got a plan. When my wife starts working as a doctor next year we're going to do applications for New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Singapore and anywhere else that might take us. Failing that it's a couple of years of night courses in German and a move to Europe. I reckon a doctor and a secondary school science/IT teacher should be able to get in somewhere.

There's absolutely no way we're staying here for the rest of our lives.

Guest mattsta1964

Here is a nice example of the anger that people feel about a system designed to rob and disenfranchise people

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_camera_signs.htm

The problem is not high taxes per se but we are getting out of them.

I wouldnt mind paying all this tax if, for example, we had a frequent, affordable, clean, safe and reliable public transport network that ran 24/7. What we actually have in return for all the tax we pay is an infreqent, filthy, unreliable and unsafe public transport system that is possibly the most expensive in the entire world and stops running before the pubs close.

Thats just Bliars' Britain all over though, isnt it?

The missus and I went cycling around northern Europe last easter and both of us couldn't get over how different it is there. OK so the taxes are a bit higher (the difference is coming down all the time, though), but the public transport system is superb, house prices are vaguely sane, the people are nice, most of the towns and cities still have their historic centres, everywhere is clean, the food is immeasurably better, the people are friendly, there's proper countryside even in Holland and Belgium, you could actually live in the flats/apartments they have over there, it's cleaner and it's relatively chav free.

good --- more houses for immigrants. :lol:

Having lived and worked in the middle east for a couple of years and returned to the UK to witness the new found "miracle wealth", new cars on the road, people not moaning about cash shortages anymore, property prices escalated, crime out of control, untouchable chav/gang mentality, political correctness, positive discrimination, motorists now criminals, litigation/loan culture, acceptable personal bankruptcy,mass uncontrolled immigration needless celebrity cheap reality shows blah blah need I go on..................oh yes and now home bred terrorists!

I'd like to go back to the privilaged life I was lucky enough to enjoy. Admittedly it was a step back in time with the population nationality hierachy but it worked for me. I've never lived better or felt safer anywhere in the world.

I wouldn't sell my house here if I return, as so many regretful expats have in the past. Choosing to let it, as I did before. It's mortgage free, easy extra money and always good to keep a foot in the UK and its bonkers house price fueled economy.

I've got a visa in progress at the moment.

Now think about this: Visas for other countries are difficult to obtain. You must have good qualifications, be of good character and be medically fit. Therefore the UK is not losing unhealthy dimwits or criminals. You also have to pay for the process and it's not cheap. So the UK loses some of those that are REALLY benefitting the country. Then there's the capital outflow because there are no rules about taking huge chunks of money out, like house equity for example.

I'm not saying that this poll is accurate though. I know of lots of people 'talking' about things but very few 'doing' things. I often talk about winning the lottery! Most couldn't detach themselves from family or haven't had the experiences of working abroad. Even those going to France and Spain often come back after a year.

What we do know is that many more people have read this article today and it might prompt them to leave.

..........and funnily enough the HPI will allow people to leave very easily because they are all rich now in comparison to where their headed. :(

Edited by Xurbia

..........and funnily enough the HPI will allow people to leave very easily because they are all rich now in comparison to where their headed. :(

At the expense of the rest of us who stay behind.

At the expense of the rest of us who stay behind.

Understand I'm not saying it's good for the country.

Any person looking at New Zealand will be able to afford a bigger house, cleaner environment, better scenery and could almost semi-retire.

There are big downsides to this approach but depends on the person.

I've got a visa in progress at the moment.

Now think about this: Visas for other countries are difficult to obtain.

These are the countries you can just move to without a visa:

Iceland

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Estionia

Latvia

Lithuania

Ireland

Denmark

Poland

Netherlands

Belgium

Luxembourg

Czech Rebublic

Slovakia

France

Switzerland

Austria

Hungry

Italy

Slovenia

Portugal

Spain

Greece

Cyprus

Malta

Lichtenstein

Coming Soon:

Romania

Bulgaria

Other places that are part of EU memeber states I believe you can just move to:

French Guyana

New Caladonia (South Pacfic)

French Polynesia (Tahiti etc)

Canary Islands

Martenique

Reunion

Guadaloupe

The Azores

Mederia

Edited by Della

These are the countries you can just move to without a visa:

Lichtenstein

OK Della but I'm not moving within the EEC but thanks for giving me more options!

Lichtenstein? I'd double the population!

Thanks. :D

OK Della but I'm not moving within the EEC but thanks for giving me more options!

Lichtenstein? I'd double the population!

Thanks. :D

I was there last month, really nice, but the center of Vaduz stinks of money, literally, I was begining to feel a bit gassed after a while.

Edited by Della

I was there last month, really nice, but the center of Vaduz stinks of money, literally, I was begining to feel a bit gassed after a while.

I've toured Europe quite a lot but I've never been there.

Have to admit I''ve never wanted to emigrate to a non-English speaking country. I don't think it would really help with setting up a business.

I looked at Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA. The USA and NZ were my top two choices. This is just my opinion but I found Australia bereft of scenery and Canada a bit boring. The USA has scenery but doesn't do irony so I settled on NZ.

New Zealand is just perfect for me: cheap houses, good employment, fantastic people and the scenery is constantly beautiful......... and 60 million less people helps a bit!

I gave up with the UK 6 years ago working abroad up to last year when the overseas jobs for the company I work for dried up. However I only work in the UK for 7 months of the year, living in a caravan and live on a yacht out in Malaysia & Thailand for the other 5.

I earn around £15 per hour and work up to 70 hours per week during my time here. Over in Thailand I live on £1000 per month which is luxurious when you consider most people earn less than £200 per month.

Consider this.........If I work 10 hours on a saturday and sunday with premiums I take home about £350. Outside of Bangkok and other tourist areas it is possible to stay in a hotel with on suite, TV, aircon and a maid for about £100 per month. So there you have it one weekends work pays for 3 1/2 months stay, the only extras are food and beer (and err women).

There is more to life than taking out the biggest mortgage possible then borrowing up to the hilt just to keep up with the neighbours. I wouldn't swap my lifestyle for anything or anywhere if it meant I had to stay permanently in the UK.