• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Daddy´s connections no doubt

Yes George ... of course George ... whatever you say George ...

I know it sounds odd but, IMO, TB pulls the strings George dances too. He has the US right wing wrapped around his finger and Karl Rove looks to him as the ultimate spinmeister. I am wondering if TB has his sights on the UN as we have not had a European leader for some time.

HOLA446
HOLA447

i knew a girl that got a 1st from kings she applied for a scholarship to another top US university but didnt get it, this was 3 years ago, i guess blair did pull strings to get it. :angry:

I expect NU Lab would spin it; something like: Hasn't the boy suffered enough? He grew up with a warmonger for a father and mother that refused to keep her nose out of government affairs. Poor lad had only a convicted criminal to purchase his accommodation.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I don't understand what the fuss is.

He got a 2.1, a perfectly decent mark, from Bristol, a perfectly decent university.

No reason for him to not do well at Yale.

No disrespect to people who went to Bristol but he got a second class degree from a second tier university and if he applied anonymously he wouldn't have been accepted.

Its like this muppet...

"When he returned to Gordonstoun for his final year, The Prince of Wales was appointed school guardian (head boy). The Prince, who had already passed six O Levels, took his A Levels in July 1967, the first Heir to The Throne to take such examinations. He was awarded a grade B in history and a C in French, together with a distinction in an optional special history paper.

The Prince went to Cambridge University in 1967 to read archaeology and anthropology at Trinity College. He changed to history for the second part of his degree, and in 1970 was awarded a second class degree."

HOLA4410

No disrespect to people who went to Bristol but he got a second class degree from a second tier university and if he applied anonymously he wouldn't have been accepted.

I really am not sure about that.

I know Cambridge a bit (which came ahead of Yale in some world university league tables) and a 2.1 from Bristol would get you on many Cambridge Master's courses if you interviewed well.

A 2.1 really is not a bad mark and Bristol really is not a bad university. I think this story is just cheap shot at Blair and his son who sould be left alone to study in peace.

Its like this muppet...

"When he returned to Gordonstoun for his final year, The Prince of Wales was appointed school guardian (head boy). The Prince, who had already passed six O Levels, took his A Levels in July 1967, the first Heir to The Throne to take such examinations. He was awarded a grade B in history and a C in French, together with a distinction in an optional special history paper.

The Prince went to Cambridge University in 1967 to read archaeology and anthropology at Trinity College. He changed to history for the second part of his degree, and in 1970 was awarded a second class degree."

I don't like the prince of Wales, but again this is also a cheap shot.

HOLA4411

That was back in the day when A levels were really difficult though, who knows what that would be equivilent to today.

Whilst I won't deny that he got special treatment the Prince of Wales is a future King, wheras mini Blair is the son of an "here today gone tommorow" politician. If he's lucky careerwise he'll end up showing off his talents on reality TV shows like Carol Thatcher.

Edited by Della

HOLA4412

I know Cambridge a bit (which came ahead of Yale in some world university league tables) and a 2.1 from Bristol would get you on many Cambridge Master's courses if you interviewed well.

A 2.1 really is not a bad mark and Bristol really is not a bad university. I think this story is just cheap shot at Blair and his son who sould be left alone to study in peace.

Im not saying a 2.1 is a bad mark, or that Bristol is a bad university, it isnt... but it is rarely enough for the average person to get a $92,000, full-tuition scholarship at Yale and also offers from Harvard and Princeton. If he wasnt the PM's son what are the chances of that happening ???

"Blair, 22, did his undergraduate work at Bristol University in England, where he studied ancient history and left an undistinguished academic record. Blair ventured into American politics this past spring, as an unpaid intern on Capitol Hill but ditched his internship after two weeks, "bored" by his duties opening mail and making photocopies, according to Roll Call, the Capitol Hill newspaper." http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-ctyal...headlines-local

As for big ears given that 'A levels' have been getting easier he may have got a A and B today, but even back then Cambridge had a choice of straight A students with more than 2 subjects.

Its the 'normal' student from average working families who have studied their butts off, got top grades, only to be rejected to make way for these two that i feel sorry for.

Edited by DONT PANIC !!! DONT PANIC !!!

HOLA4413

Blair's son and the Prince of Wales are both cases of blatant nepotism! It's not a cheap shot. Perhaps the Blairs should have thought a bit more about whom they consulted about his accommodation? Blame his mother for the Press intrusion.

HOLA4414

Blair's kid is simply following in the footsteps of other youngsters from the Anglo-American Power elite. It's the same sort of gig as becoming a (Cecil) Rhodes Scholar at Oxford if you're part of the club. Young Blair will naturally be studying International Relations and as such seems tto be being groomed for a political career singing from the Anglo-American power axis song sheet.

http://clublet.com/why?CouncilOnForeignRelations

For noticing the significance of Quigley's book [the 1966 Tragedy And Hope], we owe thanks to the radical right. For Quigley is the starting point for the examination of the influence of elite groups oin Anglo-American-European history. The sequence of events is this. In the beginning (1908-1920) Cecil Rhodes's money created the Round Table Groups in the British Commonwealth, the Royal Institute Of International Affairs (Chatham House) in London, the Council On Foreign Relations (CFR) in the US, and the various branches of the Institute of Pacific Affairs. Quigley does not actually provide the evidence for these claims but even a casual skim through the conventional literature on the period shows that these claims are basically correct.

Will his Dad wind up as the Secretary General of the UN? Peace loving people of the world certainly hope not, but both Bushites and Clintonites are certainly warm to the idea.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4611836.stm

Although he seems to have ruled himself out...

http://www.shinesforall.com/archives/2006/..._for_secre.html

I think this learned site has about the measure of the whole thing:

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s1i11272

This may affect the resumption of his academic studies which begin in a week's time when he enrols at Yale Univeristy in the United States as a Gary Rhodes scholar studying for a Masters in Bush Administartion Humbug, Sycophancy and Arselicking - a postgraduate course arranged for him by the Riggs Bank after mother Cherie interceded with Skull 'N' Bones bursary admin people to secure a two year scholarship.
Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4415

Im not saying a 2.1 is a bad mark, or that Bristol is a bad university, it isnt... but it is rarely enough for the average person to get a $92,000, full-tuition scholarship at Yale and also offers from Harvard and Princeton. If he wasnt the PM's son what are the chances of that happening ???

No idea. Perhaps ok. In any case, his 2.1 will only have been one part of his application: his essays, interview, etc may have been good. My point is not that he did or did not deserve to get in. Only that in fact we don't have enough data to make an intelligent judgement: he is condemen becuase we don't like the fact that his father invaded Iraq.

As for big ears given that 'A levels' have been getting easier he may have got a A and B today but even back then Cambridge had a choice of straight A students with more than 2 subjects.

Big Ears is going to be king. I'd rather we lived in a republic but we don't. He is going to have a very important role to play as head of state. I therefore think that it is right and proper that he be given the best possible education. It is better to have a thick well-educated king than a thick ill-educated king.

HOLA4416

No idea. Perhaps ok. In any case, his 2.1 will only have been one part of his application: his essays, interview, etc may have been good. My point is not that he did or did not deserve to get in. Only that in fact we don't have enough data to make an intelligent judgement: he is condemen becuase we don't like the fact that his father invaded Iraq.

Big Ears is going to be king. I'd rather we lived in a republic but we don't. He is going to have a very important role to play as head of state. I therefore think that it is right and proper that he be given the best possible education. It is better to have a thick well-educated king than a thick ill-educated king.

Agreed we dont know all the details but we have more than enough information to say that it is highly unlikely for an average UK student with a 2.1 from Bristol to get accepted with scholarships at Yale and also offered places at Princeton and Harvard.

Im not saying this because of anything his dad did or didnt do but rather that admission should be on merit and everyone should have a level playing field.

I agree its also better to have an educated king but why couldnt he have gone to a university commensurate with his entry grades instead of being given special treatment. Maybe somewhere like say Bristol.

Edited by DONT PANIC !!! DONT PANIC !!!

HOLA4417

Agreed we dont know all the details but we have more than enough information to say that it is highly unlikely for an average UK student with a 2.1 from Bristol to get accepted with scholarships at Yale and also offered places at Princeton and Harvard.

We are not discussing an average student: we are discussing Blair. And about hime we do not have enough info.

Incidently, and as an aside, if I were a student on Blairs course, I would be quite happy to have him in my class: he can add value as a prime minister's son that others could not.

Im not saying this because of anything his dad did or didnt do but rather that admission should be on merit and everyone should have a level playing field.

Just to be devil's advocate, why should admission be based on merit? Yale is a private institution selling education. You don't expect Prada to sell its clothes on merit.

I agree its also better to have an educated king but why couldnt he have gone to a university commensurate with his entry grades instead of being given special treatment. Maybe somewhere like say Bristol.

The thinking was that the future head of state should have the best possible education and that that best possible eductaion was to be found at Cambridge. He is the prince of Wales. He was given special treatment from birth. Why suddenly stop at university entry? Abolish the monarchy and install a republic. Until then there is internal coherence in providing special educational treatment to the royal family.

HOLA4418

Will his Dad wind up as the Secretary General of the UN?

Not a chance.

(A source close to the PM said today.)

p

Abolish the monarchy and install a republic.

Until recently, I would have agreed with you but I'm just about convinced that it's better to hang on to the monarchy. The attraction is their very illigitimacy which means that they can be treated as expensive but useless adornments, and nothing more. Creating a republic and having an elected president would take away the almost limitless power that a British prime minister has. We couldn't have that, could we? ;)

p

HOLA4419

I think it was good idea for Yale to admit young Blair as he will add some flavour to the classes given his parents' status and Universities should be about more than just good grades. The US do weight English degress somewhat so a good second from a Uni here would be seen as a solid A average in the US. I had contemplated going to Harvard Law School after my stint at Cambridge and the admissions people said that a 2.1 from Cambers would do it. I was a bit thick (law was avery very boring subject) and ended up with a 2.2 and didn't bother applying to Harvard.

HOLA4420
Guest pioneer31

Lots of people get 2:1's these days, I know a couple of people from my degree years ago, who I would describe as 'not the sharpest knives in the drawer'

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

King Charles .v. President Blair? Pick your poison.

i

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425