House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

The Subject Of Waste In Housing

Came back from holiday to find that there are 4 houses in my road still unoccupied (in various states of getting 'done up') and 3 still for sale. Now these 4 vacant really concern me. Our road was (ten years ago) one of the desirable entry level semi choices for families, now it appears to be experiencing the jonny come too late do-er upper craze. Thing is, even 5 years ago, houses would be put up for sale, family /young couple buy it, end of. Now it appears so many properties like this are simply taken out of the market place for up to 6 months for speculative purposes. In fact one property appears to have been vacant and getting done up bit by bit for over a year now, an owner occupier could have spent 10K and acheived it in the same time by budgeting for the same. Not sure of the overall argument I'm trying to develop here it just strikes me as an odd 'shift'.

Came back from holiday to find that there are 4 houses in my road still unoccupied (in various states of getting 'done up') and 3 still for sale. Now these 4 vacant really concern me. Our road was (ten years ago) one of the desirable entry level semi choices for families, now it appears to be experiencing the jonny come too late do-er upper craze. Thing is, even 5 years ago, houses would be put up for sale, family /young couple buy it, end of. Now it appears so many properties like this are simply taken out of the market place for up to 6 months for speculative purposes. In fact one property appears to have been vacant and getting done up bit by bit for over a year now, an owner occupier could have spent 10K and acheived it in the same time by budgeting for the same. Not sure of the overall argument I'm trying to develop here it just strikes me as an odd 'shift'.

Government policy should be resolving this problem. Given we have a supposed shortage of housing you'd hope that the government might provide a legal solution. Err..?

Government policy should be resolving this problem. Given we have a supposed shortage of housing you'd hope that the government might provide a legal solution. Err..?

I'm sure there was a report knocking around a few months back suggesting that approx. 50% of rental properties are vacant at any given time, add this to the overall activity of speculation and the volume of new build vacant and the myth of lack of stock evaporates quickly.

I'm sure there was a report knocking around a few months back suggesting that approx. 50% of rental properties are vacant at any given time, add this to the overall activity of speculation and the volume of new build vacant and the myth of lack of stock evaporates quickly.

How serious are the government about giving people somewhere to live? Are they more interested in the tax generated from the speculative sales? Could make you cynical!