House Price Crash Forum
Margret Thatcher

Gym Members 'throw In The Towel'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5285812.stm

Gym members 'throw in the towel'

The drop in membership comes despite joining fees falling 17%, but monthly subscription fees rose 3.5% to £39.05.
A drop in consumer spending - sparked by rising bills and interest rates - may be behind the drop, Deloitte said.
"With conditions becoming tougher in the UK domestic economy, many consumers are opting to cut their discretionary spending," said Adrian Balcome, leisure partner at Deloitte.
"The leisure industry, like all consumer-focused businesses is entering a tough time. "

When people cut back on things like gym membership it normally means a recession is coming.

The drop in membership comes despite joining fees falling 17%, but monthly subscription fees rose 3.5% to £39.05.
A drop in consumer spending - sparked by rising bills and interest rates - may be behind the drop, Deloitte said.
"With conditions becoming tougher in the UK domestic economy, many consumers are opting to cut their discretionary spending," said Adrian Balcome, leisure partner at Deloitte.
"The leisure industry, like all consumer-focused businesses is entering a tough time. "

When people cut back on things like gym membership it normally means a recession is coming.

The US are doing exactly the same thing. We went down with them in the last three HPCs and we will go down together in Great Crash 2:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060825/tapped_out_consumer.html?.v=4

AP

Housing, Energy Prices Strain Shoppers

Friday August 25, 4:38 pm ET
By Christopher Leonard, AP Business Writer
High Energy Prices, Falling Home Values Strain Shoppers' Wallets
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Fresh evidence shows that high energy prices and sagging home values are pinching the main driver of the U.S. economy -- the Average Joe's wallet.
Retailers and economists say many Americans are waiting to buy big-ticket items and cutting back on frills. Homeowners are shelving plans to remodel kitchens. Families are dining out less and tightening their budgets.

A rfecession is coming and with it a HPC the likes of which we have not seen. :o *

* :D

Some people sign up for a 12 month contract and only attend once or twice, always a good reason why they haven't got around to going.

Bit like mobile phones, can be better and cheaper to pay as you go.

Or is it because it is well documented that the UK will be populated by a a large number of obese people if we carry on at the current rate. In other words, we are getting lazy as a nation.

Some of you bears are now clutching at straws.

I've got membership at a gym but only because it's £275/year one off payment. I couldn't justify paying £60/month at a flash gym. Besides I prefer free weights which most new gyms have too few of and the dumbells only go up to 40kg or so.

They are not value for money. Memberships will probably remain at £60/month (where I am) for the next 5 years to entice new members.

Pity the same can't be said about house prices :D

Or is it because it is well documented that the UK will be populated by a a large number of obese people if we carry on at the current rate. In other words, we are getting lazy as a nation.

I've got membership at a gym but only because it's £275/year one off payment. I couldn't justify paying £60/month at a flash gym. Besides I prefer free weights which most new gyms have too few of and the dumbells only go up to 40kg or so.

They are not value for money. Memberships will probably remain at £60/month (where I am) for the next 5 years to entice new members.

Sadly, we have to admit many people are skint. Household bills are soaring with electricity and gas out of control, a series of huge council tax hikes, petrol up 20% over the past year, food starting to accelerate, wage freezes everywhere as employment deteriorates, huge increases in train and bus fares, upticking mortage costs with more pain to come before the winter sets in, tripling NHS charges for dental work and so on. All in all, the cost of living is going through the roof and no one is earning more to cover it except a very few in the City of London whose own days are numbered as the bear market cycle winds around.

When you are skint you cut out frills and gym membership is always the first to go. Then comes the restauarants which will cause quite a few to close down over the next few days and weeks. Gordon's boom based on borrowing is over, now comes the bust.

PS

I just went online to check out TV prices at Curries: the average 32 inch LCD have just dropped 200 pounds from 999 to 799. They are still cr*p, IMO, and I am probably going to get another CRT/digital.

Edited by Realistbear

Jebus! You must be one huge mutherforker if you need 40kg plus dumbells!

£275 is a good price for a years worth of gym though, I pay £300 a year for the best gym in North London. Has £40kg+ plus dumbells as well :P not that I need them ... well except maybe for shoulder shrugs B)

Edited by IwearShorts

Rb is is on the nail you only have to look at magazines like auto trader over the last 6 months second hand car prices are dropping as people now want to get rid of there posh motors to pay off the hp to keep more money in the house hold to live on great for me as i intend to buy one of those motors for my christmas prezzi :lol:

Some people sign up for a 12 month contract and only attend once or twice, always a good reason why they haven't got around to going.

My mate did this... He signed up for 12 months and has only been twice because he now has to work 12 hours a day to meet his living costs. Despite living in a far from welathy area, all my local gyms cost a fortune to attend and are populated by alpha-beings who turn up in Porsches and then stand around in their designer gear chatting. Why would a Mr Average like me want to pay a fortune to be made to look distinctly below average when I can do press-ups and sit-ups on the lounge floor for nothing?

Why would a Mr Average like me want to pay a fortune to be made to look distinctly below average when I can do press-ups and sit-ups on the lounge floor for nothing?

I'm a member of a gym, and it isn't like you describe. You get the posers, but they're not all like that. I quite like it myself, although you really have to go most days to get your money's worth. The equipment is pretty good as well.

I started off really well, and had been doing a really good workout, although haven't been lately because of being so busy.

If you are worried about the posers try a council run gym. They are available in most areas, tend to be well equipped and cost less (sometimes not much less, sometimes loads less) than private gyms.

Rb is is on the nail you only have to look at magazines like auto trader over the last 6 months second hand car prices are dropping as people now want to get rid of there posh motors to pay off the hp to keep more money in the house hold to live on great for me as i intend to buy one of those motors for my christmas prezzi :lol:

Looking for a new TV and noticed that the 32 inch LCDs (Cr*p IMO) have all dropped 200 pounds this week from 999 to 799. Sharp drop off in demand that fits in with the report that people are spending far less with credit card useage plummetting. IMO, people are maxed out on household bills and there is very little left for dicretionaries.

Looking for a new TV and noticed that the 32 inch LCDs (Cr*p IMO) have all dropped 200 pounds this week from 999 to 799. Sharp drop off in demand that fits in with the report that people are spending far less with credit card useage plummetting. IMO, people are maxed out on household bills and there is very little left for dicretionaries.

You are right about LCD panels. Not as clear or easily viewable from all angles as a trusty CRT. One of the biggest white elephants in the technology industry (after 3G!) has to be HDTV. I hope no retailers have bet their futures on this one, as you have to either have a massive telly (40"+) or sit up really close to notice the difference.

Giving up the Gym is probably the worst thing to cut back on first. We are becoming a lot of FLBs according to:

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jsp...=20060826140634

Is the UK facing an obesity crisis?

How can we combat obesity in the UK?
Figures due out today are expected to show that more than 12m adults and one million children will be obese by 2010.
The data appears days after Caroline Flint was appointed "minister for fat lazy ba**tards" with a brief to encourage physical activity in the population.

I've recently joined a new gym that's installed new 'power plate' machines (each one costs £8K) - the only reason I quit my last club and joined

I felt they got these machines to promote membership - there is very little difference between gyms nowadays IMO...

(I really should change my avitar :) )

ps imo lcd's are watery cr*p, plasmas burn-in and are too heavy - i'm stcking with my crt until the next gen of lcd's come through....

Edited by dnd

It's also well documented that Gym membership is one of the first things to go when money is tight. Even the lazy join a Gym when they have plenty of cash and want to impress.

Maybe the lazyness is brought on by people not being able to afford gym membership anymore?

As bad as it is now, just wait until the next round of gas and electric prices hit. No doubt council tax will be up next year to pay for the invasion of immigrants, as I doubt central Govt. will pay up.

I expect all non essentials to be hit hard. Wouldn't surprise me if the cable companies and Sky TV have a very tough time ahead with competition from cheaper options. Pay as you go Gym membership will probably have to come if they are to survive. Companies that can't or won't adjust to the new economic conditions will go to the wall first.

Wish to God a few would drop out of my Gym. Unless you go in the mid morning or afternoon, its always heaving. Nothing worse than coming of a machine and you feel yourself cooling down because of the wait to get on another. The only good side is I do 80% free wights, and the free weight room is usually reasonably quiet. We dont get many poseurs hanging around in there.

Outside though - lets just say the poseur comment is well founded. More than a few Boxter/Rolex/designer workout gear combos etc at my Gym.

I always just wonder how much is real wealth they are showing off, and how much is 'tick' as my mother calls it.

Outside though - lets just say the poseur comment is well founded. More than a few Boxter/Rolex/designer workout gear combos etc at my Gym.

I always just wonder how much is real wealth they are showing off, and how much is 'tick' as my mother calls it.

My previous gym had TVR, Porshes, BMW, Impreza, Evolutions 8/9, Focus RS and a Range Rover with "9MM" reg IIRC... :unsure:

Edited by dnd

In the mail today a pice on retailers at war over school uniforms where a skirt or trousers and jumper cost £5.00 less than the packed lunches for a week just underlines IMO that food,fuel,electricity,gas road taxing plus other essential comodities are going to go through the roof. :unsure if people are finding it hard now god help them in the next twelve months as a new world order comes into affect :unsure:

Rather smug that I pay £25 a month. Don't need a pool. Also go 3 times a week so it's worth my while.

My old gym in Didsbury, Manchester (part of a Britannia Hotel) sent me a letter yesterday asking me to come back at £22.50 a month. Still thinking about it as it has a (small) indoor pool as well.

What has low levels of physical activity got to do with being lazy in a weightless knowledge economy?