House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
neilrich

Salary Comparison For Different Proffessions

Interesting article in UK daily mail 24/08/06 comparing salaries of various proffessions in the UK.

Daily Mail 24/08/2006

A lot of those figures seem quite low. Most people i know in the industries mentioned actually earn much more than that.

A lot of those figures seem quite low. Most people i know in the industries mentioned actually earn much more than that.

No, it's because like many people in this country you have a vastly inflated idea of what people actually earn. A few years ago when the firefighters were campaigning for £30k, on the basis that it isn't much for saving lives, it was a bit of a shock when it was pointed out that £30k would put them in the top 14% of earners.

These figures simply show that most people don't actually earn very much, and that the illusion of wealth all around is based on debt.

yer but all your pals will no doubt be the cream of the crop...just like you <_<

Labourers in foundries earn 17K?!!?%^%??

Filing clerks earn 16K?!?%$%&??

In the company I work for the factory floor staff are on 5.37 an hour, and some on 5.05. We have a filing clerk and she earns 5.05 an hour - around 9K a year.

Maybe some get to become Senior Filing Clerks and earn up to 17K, but only the brightest and best, following ten years of proven experience and dedication (provided they're not over 25 years old)

EDIT: I take it this is a London salary list, not an up norf one.

Edited by KingCash

Yep - in Cambridge a "filing clerk" (junior admin) salary is £13-15k full time. With near-London house prices.

But of course houses only ever go up and are still affordable if two of you get together.

So my wife and I are both members of the 8th best paid profession and we still can't afford anything bigger than a 2-bed end of terrace house. That says it all

I'm £15,000 under paid!!!!!!!!!

The averages are about right to me

It would be very interesting to compare with other countries such as the US to see the different values put on careers.

IMHO Its disappointing to see scientists and engineers who actually make something being valued less than the overheads such as bean counters in the UK.

Yep, they must have been scratching their heads for a long time at the CBI last week wondering why more undergraduates don't want to study science related subjects. It's a real brain teaser. Maybe they can hire a consultant to work it out for them! :D

The averages are about right to me

It would be very interesting to compare with other countries such as the US to see the different values put on careers.

IMHO Its disappointing to see scientists and engineers who actually make something being valued less than the overheads such as bean counters in the UK.

Engineers are not valued in this country by government this is why they happily whine on about shortages of skilled workers yet sit idly by whilst engineering has haemorrhaged 10’s of thousands of jobs since around August 2000.

Personally I earn over the stated average from this article but living in Cambridge it doesn’t even put me in shouting distance of buying a property.

People’s perception of relative wages per profession is radically different from the reality, I’ve actually seen CVs from people looking to work for me in a more junior role, without a word of a lie some people state “seeing a salary in the region of £85K”. Yeah right!

Btw. my role in the heart of Silicon Valley would pay around $180K or about £95K which is almost double, the same role in India or China pays around £1.5K, but they need 10-20 times the man power to achieve the same end.

No, it's because like many people in this country you have a vastly inflated idea of what people actually earn. A few years ago when the firefighters were campaigning for £30k, on the basis that it isn't much for saving lives, it was a bit of a shock when it was pointed out that £30k would put them in the top 14% of earners.

These figures simply show that most people don't actually earn very much, and that the illusion of wealth all around is based on debt.

Spot On.

Debt provides the illusion of wealth - while it is affordable to repay the loan. Once the affordability is no longer there then the reality of debt is poverty.

Average pay in the UK is 28K and the average price of houses is what: 200K? The math is mind boggling.

Edited by Pluto

IT operations techinican, pretty must spot on, but not including overtime which is available at the command prompt :rolleyes:

oh well, at least we've got our own day

Edited by Snagger

Guest muttley

Are you called cuckoo because you live in cloud cuckoo land? :lol:

Really?

I thought it was because he pops up on the hour and says the same thing.

Interesting to see that company directors earn more than twice their nearest rival. Do they really deserve it, or are they a bunch of crooks as most people suspect?

Has anyone ever met a successful business person they would describe as a trustworthy, honest, non-psychotic individual?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Really?

I thought it was because he pops up on the hour and says the same thing.

:lol::lol::lol:

Like the new avatar cuckoo, very you. :P

Interesting to see that company directors earn more than twice their nearest rival. Do they really deserve it, or are they a bunch of crooks as most people suspect?

Has anyone ever met a successful business person they would describe as a trustworthy, honest, non-psychotic individual?

I always get the impression from this site that anyone who doesn't work in IT is a corrupt, incompetent waste of carbon <_< Some of you really have rather high opinions of yourselves.

Guest mattsta1964

Very interesting statistic that

And speaking from experience here, I can tell you trying to survive on 30K as a single person without borrowing any money apart from my mortgage is pretty bloody hard going

Who owns all those brand new cars out there!??? I wonder what percentage of all the cars sold since 1997 have been paid for without a loan or HP agreement??

After finishing University, my first job was for a webdesign company - they paid £10,000 a year (this was back in 2000) - fortuantely I only stayed for 6 months before finding a similar job that paid double, but I saw the old company last week, still advertising for the same position I filled, now six years later, and they're paying £12,000 a year for 38 hours a week (believe me, having worked there, it will be for more than 38 hours!)

I don't think those prices are accurate. For certain, some will be paid more than what is being showed, but I think generally it's being too generous.