House Price Crash Forum
Johnny Cash

Daily Mail - Supermarket Prices Increase By 10%

Daily Mail 24 August ran a story on page 2 about how the prices of many foods and essentials in supermarkets was increasing by up to 10%. Included Orange juice (recently substituted in CPI by champagne - what a crock!), coffee and lettuce.

Looking forward to the next interest rate rise!

This is what the FT had to say.

"Analysts say the shift may be the start of a sustained increase after years of easing food prices. "It's not a temporary phenomenon," said Richard Ratner, analyst at Seymour Pierce. "I think the supermarkets will make these price increases stick." :o

Source - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/d00a9c36-3243-11db...000779e2340.htm

Another rate hike before the end of the year?

Guest Shedfish

Another rate hike before the end of the year?

i'm gonna stick my neck out. derision is free... sticks and stones etc..

rise in November (hardly sticking my neck out)

another jan 07 (longer neck)

I'm gonna be safe and go along with a hike in November, not so sure about January though. <_<

If the Bof E do the job they are supposed to do it should be another .25 or even .5 rise in October or even September. Everywhere I look inflation is taking off, the press is full of articles about inflation being way above the govts propaganda figures and people must be cathing on.

Guest Shedfish

they'll just print more money. it doesn't cost much. they'll definitely need to print more dollars over the next few years... and nobody else will want to be left in front

If the Bof E do the job they are supposed to do it should be another .25 or even .5 rise in October or even September. Everywhere I look inflation is taking off, the press is full of articles about inflation being way above the govts propaganda figures and people must be cathing on.

..seriously, you're right

i shop mainly in ASDA and Sainsbury's.........and the lettuce was the first thing i noticed going up...........other thing was yoghurt up about 10%..................

I think the BoE are going to sit tight for a short while before making a decision. I think they are hoping that the August warning shot will be sufficient.

Start of the month will be an interesting time for many people for the nest few months.

i shop mainly in ASDA and Sainsbury's.........and the lettuce was the first thing i noticed going up...........other thing was yoghurt up about 10%..................

But lettuce had a burst of being dear last year - due to crop problems. Same with melons - they'd been hit by bad weather. Oh and the italian pesto crop was hailed to death recently.

So not only does it cost more to import the food cos of oil, but the global weather changes aren't helping.

Declan was talking about rising food costs on this mornings breakfast news

something that he would be very concerned about. :D

Guest grumpy-old-man

Mine was only £135. What car have you got?

hey CO, you still think a crash is never going to happen then ?? :lol:

you must be dreading the next headline every day.