House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mongoose

Cambridge Rentals - 3 Bed+ Nice Properties

As we have a young family (a 7 month old), my wife and I want to get out of London.

Cambridge and it's outlying villages (Grantchester, Trumpington, etc) are at the top of the list.

We would be looking to live either in Cambridge, or to the south - so I can get the commuter line into London.

Has anybody any knowledge or experience of pricing for nice 3+ bed houses with gardens in the area. What kind of discounts can we expect to obtain.

Ideally the budget will be £1000 pcm, but we could stretch to more for a really nice place.

Could I offer £1000 pcm for a place being offered at £1300 and not have the door shut in my face?

Thanks in advance

I do not know the area, so I apologise that my advice is general. There is not a massive amount of scope for large reductions in rent in negotiation. The reason is because most landlords have calculated a figure that is both in line with market rent, and which covers their mortgage and other costs leaving them with a modest profit. Therefore the kind of property you are most likely to achieve a discount on is where the property is owned outright. This does not mean there is no leeway, but the 25%+ kind of discount you have mentioned is pretty much a no-no. But, of course, you will never know unless you try!

I've just left a houseshare in Cambridge - 4 bed 1050 pcm - but that is slightly below market rates. You will be able to get 3 beds for 1000pcm bt not necessarily in Grantchester and trumpington as these are prime locations.

I've just done a search on rightmove and there is plenty available. If you got your heart set on the 1300pcm place then offer 1000pcm you've got nothing to lose.

Personally I believe that the UK market is very ripe for negotiation though slightly less so in Cambridge.

Thanks,

I have seen some very nice places advertised - but a lot of these are 1500+pcm - They are 4/5 bed places though.

We don't need to move for a couple of months, so I'll monitor any decent properties that are still unlet and look at lowballing them.

Some income is better than a void :)

Hi Mongoose

Any luck with asking for a discount?

I've just 'put in an offer' in Cambridge and am waiting to see if the LL takes the bait.

Will keep y'all informed.

RW

ps any other observations about the CB rental market appreciated.

It seems to us that there is quite a high turnover with plenty of new properties coming on lists each day. But they do seem to go quite quickly too.

Hi,

Not sure if you are still looking, but there is a house on Marshall Road through Tucker's at £900, v nice area of Cambridge, walking distance to the station and a popular family area.

You will notice a huge difference in Cambridge at modern flat prices and houses. Take anything that says 'suitable for sharers' with a degree of cinicism as it may well be a bit scruffy.

Prices have gone up for renting here in the last couple of years, I looked at a flat in a lovely conversion for 725 in September 2005, its just gone with no changes of any type for 975.

I don't understand it myself, just guess the baby boomers need a bit more to pay into the pension and for the new X5 at the mo. Still it's not like they will expect to retire shortly with a huge pension and still get free NHS care, w**kers.

Hi JustinC

I've just found somewhere to rent. Put in an offer and am paying £30 a month less than the previous tenant.

OK, so it's a small % drop, but it's a step in the right direction.

Hi Mongoose

Any luck with asking for a discount?

I've just 'put in an offer' in Cambridge and am waiting to see if the LL takes the bait.

Will keep y'all informed.

RW

ps any other observations about the CB rental market appreciated.

It seems to us that there is quite a high turnover with plenty of new properties coming on lists each day. But they do seem to go quite quickly too.

Sorry, have been busy and away for a while...

Found a place last month and actually offered full 'current' asking for it at £1350 - though it had been on the market at £1575 for a while with no takers. Probably would be valued at £450k+ so feel I'm getting a good deal.

But I did see a great variance in property quality, so it is worth shopping around.