House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Another 2 Factories In Brum And Manchester Close

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/24082006/140/north...se-factory.html

Thursday August 24, 07:31 AM
Northern Foods To Close Factory
Food company Northern Foods (LSE: NFDS.L - news) is to close a factory in Manchester with the loss of
690 jobs
. The closure will cost about ?12m, a charge which will be taken in the first half of the current financial year. The Leeds-based company said the site, which produces a range of chilled savoury pastry products, made losses of more than £3m in 2005/06.

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&am...;action=article

LONDON (AFX) - Food group HJ Heinz Co is to close down its HP Sauce factory in Birmingham with the loss of
120 jobs
, the Times newspaper reported, quoting the unions.
The plant will shut in March next year. Its production will be transferred to Holland, it said. monicca.egoy@afxnews.com mbe/ra

Two more blows for UK manufacturing and more people looking for the dwindling number of jobs :o

Haven't heard much from Gordon "Miracle Economy" Brown lately?

Edited by Realistbear

Did you see the announcement from Prodrive.

Huge investment into Honiley Aerodrome (just a few miles from you!) for their F1 testing.

800 new jobs.

Targetted West Midlands because of the skilled labour force available.

Food company Northern Foods (LSE: NFDS.L - news) is to close a factory in Manchester with the loss of
690 jobs
. The closure will cost about ?12m, a charge which will be taken in the first half of the current financial year. The Leeds-based company said the site, which produces a range of chilled savoury pastry products, made losses of more than £3m in 2005/06.

Two more blows for UK manufacturing and more people looking for the dwindling number of jobs :o

According to the report I just heard on Radio 4, the Northern Foods factory is closing because in this increasingly health-conscious world, fewer people are buying the cakes and pastries they make and supply to supermarkets.

Good thing too.

We haven't stopped eating; we're just changing what we eat. Consumer trends affect which jobs cease and which jobs are created. Always have, always will. If we're eating different things, then jobs will be created elsewhere in the food economy. The consumption of organic foods has increased enormously in the last 5 years, for instance, so I'd assume that jobs in this sector have increased by a corresponding rate.

Huge investment into Honiley Aerodrome (just a few miles from you!) for their F1 testing.

800 new jobs.

West Midlands is still reeling from the Rover shut down. Landrover closes in November and there is talk that Jaguar will have to close as Ford can no longer afford the millions of pounds they are losing every month. If the Chinese buy it, the factory will be offshored quicker than you can say Miracle Economy.

West Midlands is still reeling from the Rover shut down. Landrover closes in November and there is talk that Jaguar will have to close as Ford can no longer afford the millions of pounds they are losing every month. If the Chinese buy it, the factory will be offshored quicker than you can say Miracle Economy.

Precisely - why do you think Prodrive got the go-ahead?

Jobs are lost, jobs are gained.

It's the net effect that needs analysis.

I viewed a house in Honiley last year. It had been on the market for ages and seemed very cheap - now I know why!

Inflated energy costs wreak a terrible toll in Berks:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/mirrormoney/yourmo...-name_page.html

24 August 2006
85 JOBS TO GO AT PAPER MILL
Edited By Steve Hawkes
PACKAGING firm DS Smith is closing a paper mill in Berkshire after struggling with soaring energy costs.
All 85 staff at Taplow Mill are expected to be laid off when the site shuts down at the end of October.

:o

800 new jobs.

:lol::lol: That won't help the pastry-mongers though will it.

800 new jobs.

i thought F1 were cutting costs?

Cosworth in Northampton are said to be laying off 40% of their workforce and Max Mosley has predicted a loss of thousands of jobs industry in the UK

Genuine question - why are Prodrive expanding?

i thought F1 were cutting costs?

Cosworth in Northampton are said to be laying off 40% of their workforce and Max Mosley has predicted a loss of thousands of jobs industry in the UK

Genuine question - why are Prodrive expanding?

Aren't prodrive components used in some high performance road cars (Subarus, etc)? Perhaps this market is expanding..?

And I thought this was a Labour government, what the hell is going wrong.

The only companies recruiting in my industry are outsourcing companies selling solutions to European companies they intend to implement using Polish staff, who are so far behind with technologies it's not funny but British councils will find that out the hard way and will pay a fortune for the British staff to clear up the mess in 12 months time :rolleyes:

Edited by terrified

Aren't prodrive components used in some high performance road cars (Subarus, etc)? Perhaps this market is expanding..?

They do allsorts. They have grown rapidly from around 300 to 1,000 in a few years apparently - will they double again? Maybe, but what is the timescale? Are jobs being shifted from elsewhere. Every time a new business park gets PP there is big news about how cuch and such a park is going to create 500 jobs, most of the time it is just a game of musical chairs as companes are moving from premises elsewhere. Nothing worng in that comapnies need a dynamic and flexible source of space to work from, most of it is still too expensive though and limits the number of companies that can survive and grow in the UK. Same goes for supermarkets - big hoohar about new jobs, nothing is ever said about the knock-on effect a supermarkets dispalce other smaller stores and reduce overall local employment.

They do allsorts. They have grown rapidly from around 300 to 1,000 in a few years apparently - will they double again? Maybe, but what is the timescale? Are jobs being shifted from elsewhere. Every time a new business park gets PP there is big news about how cuch and such a park is going to create 500 jobs, most of the time it is just a game of musical chairs as companes are moving from premises elsewhere. Nothing worng in that comapnies need a dynamic and flexible source of space to work from, most of it is still too expensive though and limits the number of companies that can survive and grow in the UK. Same goes for supermarkets - big hoohar about new jobs, nothing is ever said about the knock-on effect a supermarkets dispalce other smaller stores and reduce overall local employment.

What a depressing post.

A UK success story. Growing company expands and provides loads of extra jobs and you dribble on about how difficult it will be.

If I was to be (alledgedly) laid off by Jaguar / Landrover et al - I'd be quite relieved my skills weren't going to be wasted.

HP. Sauce. Made in Holland?????

WTF?

HP. Sauce. Made in Holland????

What in the mother of god shall I do for my Sunday am fry-ups?

I despair.

I'd probably go straight to the nearest boozer right now. Thing is, all the nearest are big brewery/chain type "McBoozers".

It's enough to make you want to bath with your telly FFS, it really is.

What a depressing post.

A UK success story. Growing company expands and provides loads of extra jobs and you dribble on about how difficult it will be.

If I was to be (alledgedly) laid off by Jaguar / Landrover et al - I'd be quite relieved my skills weren't going to be wasted.

Just pointing out that it will have to go great guns to create 800/1,000 jobs as has been suggested, the rest of F1 are being told to trim back by the FIA. All I'm saying is that when PP is concerned the number of jobs eventually created is nothing like the original esitmate tht was used to help the appication through and that other sectors that harp on about planning gains are anything but sometimes. Look at BAE - massive order and it is only likely to secure exisitng jobs.

Two more blows for UK manufacturing and more people looking for the dwindling number of jobs
:o
These are presumably jobs paying more than the minimum wage - which is why they can't compete.
Its going to get more and more messy. People will be angry when they find they can't get jobs at real wages.

It was a flippant remark replying to another flippant remark. You humourless buffoon.

It wasn't clear that you were being flippant. I apologise for calling you a big pr*ck.

It wasn't clear that you were being flippant. I apologise for calling you a big pr*ck.

But I am a big pr*ck. No need to apologise. Life's too short.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayN...;pNodeId=133990

160 JOBS FACE AXE IN £4.7M SPENDING

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

Be the first reader to comment on this story

12:00 - 24 August 2006

About 160 jobs are to be axed on production lines making painkiller Nurofen and eye treatment Optrex and their support departments.

They are part of Reckitt Benckiser's operation in Nottingham following its acquisition of Boots Healthcare International.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/dis...;pNodeId=140680

118 JOBS FIRST COST OF CUTS

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

Be the first reader to comment on this story

09:00 - 24 August 2006

Nhs cost-cutting will see at least 118 jobs go, politicians heard on Friday. The county's front-line primary care trusts have informed Government of that number of potential redundancies from their cost-cutting programme.

http://www.eastbournetoday.co.uk/ViewArtic...ticleID=1718125

46 JOBS FACE THE AXE AS PEN FIRM CLOSES DISTRIBUTION CENTRE

A TEN per cent cut in the workforce is on the cards at a local business if its distribution is moved to Birmingham.

Parker Pens of Newhaven, owned by Sanford Brands, a Newell Rubbermaid company, announced last week a proposal to move distribution to Birmingham and told staff a 30 day consultation period would take place.

Edited by OnlyMe