House Price Crash Forum

Times: Nulabour Have Let In Over 1 Million Since 1997

HOLA441

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2324766,00.html

The Times August 23, 2006

A million foreigners have settled in Britain since Labour came to power

By Richard Ford, Home Correspondent
MORE than a million foreigners have been given the right to settle in Britain since Labour came to power, after a sudden surge in numbers last year, according to figures published yesterday.
Foreign settlement is three times the rate it was when Tony Blair entered Downing Street,
and the number soared by almost 30 per cent last year...../
The number of migrants given settlement last year increased by 40,000 to a record figure of 179,120, compared with 58,700 in 1997.
The figures do not include arrivals from the EU.
More than 70 per cent of those given settlement rights were from Africa, Asia and the Indian sub-continent
, with a further 20 per cent from North and South America and European states outside the European Economic Area.

It is not difficult to understand why there is a housing problem in this country. With immigration in excess of 1 million that is clearly a burden on existing housing resources and social services. The vast numbers arriving every day may well keep Gordon's HPI Miracle Going but will it be good in the long term? I can see a lot of rage building and SKY was full of it on their news program last night. Its going to be THE issue at all by-elections and the next GE for sure. I think the country is saying:

ENOUGH ALREADY!

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442

Yet again more knee jerk racist reactions.

I'd gladly welcome another million in the next 2 years and i know many who agree. The evening standard ran a great article on "the new Londoners" today and it was really uplifting to see people arriving not tainted by cynicism, bitterness or jealousy - these folks just have hopes and dreams and they want to get on and work, not sponge.

Shame on you bitter people that can't see the good in what is happening here. I welcome them all with open arms.

HOLA443

I'd gladly welcome another million in the next 2 years and i know many who agree. The evening standard ran a great article on "the new Londoners" today and it was really uplifting to see people arriving not tainted by cynicism, bitterness or jealousy - these folks just have hopes and dreams and they want to get on and work, not sponge.

Shame on you bitter people that can't see the good in what is happening here. I welcome them all with open arms.

The confusion lies in the muddling of numbers with ethnicity. I think the fear is more one of swamping us by sheer weight of numbers rather than too many Italians or Canadians showing up on our doorstep. A house shortage occurs not because the people coming are from a particular country but because they keep coming over here. We alone have an open door policy on immigration whereas the EU, US, Canada, OZ etc do not.

Forget racial issue and focus on numbers.

HOLA444

:blink: WTF!

HOLA445

It is actually quite incomprehensible that anyone can actually write this sort of drivel.........naive in the extreme.........get a grip buddy!

HOLA446

Cuckoo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cuculidae or cuckoos are a family of near passerine birds. Many of the Old World species and some New World species are brood parasites, laying their eggs in the nests of other birds. The best-known example is the European Common Cuckoo. The cuckoo egg hatches earlier and the chick grows faster and in most cases the chick evicts the eggs or young of the host species.

:ph34r:

HOLA447

It is actually quite incomprehensible that anyone can actually write this sort of drivel.........naive in the extreme.........get a grip buddy!

its not naive at all! i was on the train today and there were two polish businessmen. what threat are they to the uk, they probably pay their taxes here! We're one Europe now, the sooner we're fully integrated as one country , the better.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

its not naive at all! i was on the train today and there were two polish businessmen. what threat are they to the uk, they probably pay their taxes here! We're one Europe now, the sooner we're fully integrated as one country , the better.

Totally agree cockoo. I sat next to a mad axeman, some bloke with an AK47 and three Polish business people. It is clear now that the Polish represented less of a threat, on balance. I was fortunate enough to also determine their tax codes during a brief conversation. I think Adolf Hitler wanted one Europe. Were you related you nutter?

HOLA4411

Enough with the immgration threads already, there's already 4 on the main page. Give us some nice ones about the money supply or something

It may be the single biggest economic issue, other than the HPC, to face this country in years. Its even on the main agenda over at John Reids office. People are angry and votes are migrating over to dangerous fringe parties. A housing crisis exists and yet the government add fuel to the fire by allowing in 100's of thousands of people who require immediate housing. Some suspect Gordon Brown of using immigration to suppress wages thus impoverishing an entire generation--just to keep the appearance of a miracle going and assuring his ascendency to No. 10.

This could be our drakest hour as we stand on the brink of a new and dangerous era. Never before has the nation faced such dangerous threats both from within and from without.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It may be the single biggest economic issue, other than the HPC, to face this country in years. Its even on the main agenda over at John Reids office. People are angry and votes are migrating over to dangerous fringe parties. A housing crisis exists and yet the government add fuel to the fire by allowing in 100's of thousands of people who require immediate housing. Some suspect Gordon Brown of using immigration to suppress wages thus impoverishing an entire generation--just to keep the appearance of a miracle going and assuring his ascendency to No. 10.

This could be our drakest hour as we stand on the brink of a new and dangerous era. Never before has the nation faced such dangerous threats both from within and from without.

Exactly, and we need someone with the balls of Churchill or Maggie

HOLA4414

It may be the single biggest economic issue, other than the HPC, to face this country in years. Its even on the main agenda over at John Reids office. People are angry and votes are migrating over to dangerous fringe parties.

The BNP is going nowhere fast. Every election Labour trots out the spectre of the BNP to get out the ethnic minority vote, and every election the BNP goes nowhere.

A housing crisis exists and yet the government add fuel to the fire by allowing in 100's of thousands of people who require immediate housing. Some suspect Gordon Brown of using immigration to suppress wages thus impoverishing an entire generation--just to keep the appearance of a miracle going and assuring his ascendency to No. 10.

I'd rather have Mr Brown than Mr Blair at the moment thank you, even though I'm not a Labour person.

Oh jeez, you're sounding like John Reid now. More dangerous than 1920s, or 1930 or 1940s when we faced the Nazis? More dangerous than the 1950s, or the 60s, or 70s or 80s when we were facing the prospect of nuclear anihalation? We've had one fairly good decade in the last century, the 90s, when things were looking OK, and now in the 00s we're supposed to be scared of our shadow.

Edited by Della

HOLA4415

Imagine a recession, HPC and being deluged with even more immigration. We are a short step away.

HOLA4416

We only know if its significant if we know NET immigration.

How many left over this time?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2324766,00.html

The Times August 23, 2006

A million foreigners have settled in Britain since Labour came to power

By Richard Ford, Home Correspondent
Yeah more like
five million
have been let in if you open your eyes and look around you or do you think they are all just following me around the country.
Government seems to be putting on spurt just now so by the time the sheeple wake up they will suddenly discover that they are in the minority themselves.
Leicester is a good example where this has happened and this took 20 years but at the current rate they are coming in and breeding I suspect at least one major city a year is now becoming a white minority city.
Immigration figures are about as good as the so called official inflation figures
Edited by Justice

HOLA4420

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...24/cnpens24.xml

Immigration challenge for UK pensions

By Edmund Conway, Economics Editor

(Filed: 24/08/2006)

Short-term immigrants will soon become eligible for a full state pension
- even if they stay in the UK for only a year - because of little-noticed changes to the UK retirement system.
Changes being made under the Pensions White Paper in 2010 will mean immigrants from European countries no longer have to work for a minimum of 10 years to be able to claim the basic state pension.

Pure, unadultraed, unfiltered, MADNESS!

:angry:

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4421

Adam Smith Institute's view:

http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/index.php/bl...and_employment/

Both the UK government and the Conservative opposition (and even employers' groups) are now hinting at the need for immigration curbs when Bulgaria and Romania become full members of the European Union. That means that workers from those countries are free to relocate in other member states, although there are provisions to allow curbs.

There is a feeling around the government that they got away with a huge influx of migrant workers last time – when Poland and other countries were admitted – but that economic conditions are not so forgiving right now. The number of people in work in the UK has risen to a record 28.94m, but the number of unemployed people has also risen, to 1.68m. And today there are fewer illusions about the number of folk from the new accession countries who might want to come here. Last time, the government thought maybe 15,000 migrant workers might come. In fact the figure has been 600,000.

In principle I'm in favour of open immigration. I can't see why politicians should tell people where to live, and migrants tend to be the younger and more ambitious people anyway, who contribute to the economy and do not put much demand on public services like healthcare.

On the other hand, if (like the UK) you have a generous welfare policy, you get benefit tourism; and in Bulgaria and Romania there are many poor people for whom a UK dole cheque would represent a fortune.

Employers tell me that wages in some unskilled and semi-skilled sectors have fallen as much as £2 per hour, and attribute this to the influx of Poles, Estonians and the rest. With the minimum wage contributing to unemployment as well (as US President Jimmy Carter's brother Billy put it, 'Hell, some people ain't worth the minimum wage.'), domestic workers are finding themselves squeezed.

Even the most rose-tinted observers of UK Chancellor Gordon Brown must see that he is living beyond his means, making the economic future more bleak. Another large and rapid influx of migrants – especially if they are ethnically dissimilar from northern Europeans – might prove too much for the public to take without protest. And this is politics. There will be curbs.

Too little too late:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5280230.stm

Last Updated: Thursday, 24 August 2006, 08:20 GMT 09:20 UK

UK 'must tackle extremism threat'

Bradford race riots

Segregation problems were blamed for 2001's Bradford riots

Tensions between people of different ethnic groups and faiths in British society must be tackled, says Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly.

Ms Kelly is launching a Commission on Integration and Cohesion to prevent people feeling "cut off" from the mainstream of society.

The body, which will start work next month, will look at how communities are tackling tensions and extremism.

But it will not look at whether faith schools are a good thing.

The government is aware that society is fragmenting into tribes - but if they are talking about creating common values for different faith groups, what are they?

Analysis: The ties that bind

The government plans to have more faiths schools but critics say they fuel segregation between people of different faiths.

Ms Kelly said Church of England Schools were among the most "diverse" in the country.

And she said Muslim parents should not be denied the same opportunities offered to Christians and Jews in sending their children to faith schools.

But she did suggest faith schools could be encouraged to play sports matches against each other, or twin themselves with schools of a different faith.

Communities divided

The launch of the commission comes amid growing fears of alienation, especially among young Muslims.

The Commission on Integration and Cohesion starts work in September and will tour the UK before reporting next June.

Muslim women

Muslim leaders have said they need help in fighting radicalism

It will look at how towns, cities and communities tackle challenges such as segregation and social or economic divisions between different ethnic groups.

The commission is designed to carry on some of the research that followed riots in northern towns in 2001.

Following that violence, experts warned the government some communities were leading "parallel lives" with little or no contact with each other.

Tensions and benefits

Ms Kelly said the commission would not be focused on tackling the ideology of a "perverted form of Islam" - something the government was examining in other ways.

Instead, it would look at building ways for people to get to know their neighbours and to stop people feeling a sense of "separateness".

Ms Kelly said northern English towns like Oldham had made significant progress in bringing people together since the 2001 riots.

Ruth Kelly meeting with Muslim leaders on 14 August

Ruth Kelly met with Muslim leaders last week

She told BBC Breakfast: "Multi-culturalism, different communities in Britain, the fact that Britain is open to people of all faiths and none, has been a huge strength of this country.

"But what we have to got to do is recognise that while there have been huge benefits, there are also tensions created.

"And what the point of the commission that I am launching today is, is to try and to examine how those tensions arise and what local communities can do on the ground practically to tackle those and make a difference."

Ms Kelly said she accepted there were "elements of the Muslim community that profoundly disagree with British foreign policy".

But she said foreign policy was not a "root cause" of extremism and could not be tailored for any one section of the community.

Muslim communities have been divided since the London bombings over how best to address radical movements associated with extremism, with some saying there is a small but serious problem and others denying terrorism is linked to Islamist thinking.

For the Conservatives Damian Green said: "There is a huge and vital challenge to be met in helping Britain's Muslim communities integrate fully with the rest of society.

"We hope that this latest government initiative has more substance than previous initiatives which have tended to grab a headline but then achieve very little in the long term."

In the wake of the anti-terrorism arrests earlier in August, Ms Kelly's department held meetings with Muslim leaders who said they needed the government to do more to help them tackle extremist elements.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4422

RB,

"However, most migrants are young so there would be several decades of benefit to the Exchequer before the bills come in.

Don't worry your children can pay it so we can paint a rosier picture of the economy and keep in power.

Truly disgusting short-termism.

HOLA4423

If they come to London where would they live ? Also what part of London has space on the roads/buses/trains/tubes etc for another million people.

On my train there is no more space whatsoever. Even in August it is difficult to get on and get a seat - you must be joking.

How do you know that all immigrants just want to work not sponge ? Are you a mind reader ? Perhaps you could help England win the next penalty shoot out by telling the goal keeper which way to dive !