House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Monkey_Boy

Ot: Bank Account For Travelling

I know it's a bit off topic but I didn't know where best to ask.

My parents have sold their house, retired early and plan to spend some time travelling the world before settling somewhere for the rest of their lives. My father currently plans to use online banking and a memory stick with password protected excell spreadsheets or word files.

I told him this is not advisable, but need to come up with a better solution.

I have some suggestions for the memory stick problem, it is the online banking I hoped people on here might know about. Read this article online;

http://www.bootsnall.com/guides/05-12/how-...travelling.html - all seems very sensible, if a little technical.

There must be internationally accessible bank accounts available which will make their lives a bit easier.....? They have already had problems with the bank stopping a payment which they had to go into a branch to sort out - not really possible if you are in india at the time.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi, sounds like a good plan to me, the selling up and traveling bit I mean.

I have just recently been traveling and found Nationwide bank account was the best bet for me. they don't charge you for international transactions, so you can use any ATM around the world for free :-) This worked out to be cheaper in austraila then having an austrailan bank account if you can believe that. Their internet access has userid, password, and a drop down selection, I believe a key logger will only gain key presses and won't be able to learn the answers to the drop down selections.

I would certainly not recommend carrying around a secure key with details on, never a good idea. For backups of details you could always leave them with someone at home, and maybe leave different details with different people, so no one persson has all the details. That way you can rebuild your details by contacting those people when needed.

Can't think of any bank or solution for a bank that would have worldwide teller access for problems, but most offer telephone banking and you should be able to resolve most issues via this service.