House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

Taking A Surveyor With You On Viewings

We put in an offer on a house we liked yesterday, it was flatly turned down, moved along there's plenty more houses.

Anyway whilst we were in the EA's another couple had viewed a £250k house only they had taken his father a surveyor with them, who when they got back to the office told the EA they were living in cloud cukoo land and the house wouldn't be valued by the bank for more than £160k tops.

The girl went very pale, started talking about market forces etc etc and the guy said well we'll come back and offer £150k after the Interest rates have risen again.

We looked and each other and grinned, I nearly burst into a cheer !!!

Guest Shedfish

Want a laugh? When viewing property, casually drop into a conversation that you are a surveyor yourself!!!!

now that is a stroke of genius! :)

Want a laugh? When viewing property, casually drop into a conversation that you are a surveyor yourself!!!!

it gets agents to drop the b**sh*t that's a fact. as long as its true, mind.

best to be done to the 17 yr old white sock merchant - be slightly careful adopting this tactic with an experienced EA, for all their faults they'll have picked up enough along the way to suss out a bogus surveyor...

best to be done to the 17 yr old white sock merchant - be slightly careful adopting this tactic with an experienced EA, for all their faults they'll have picked up enough along the way to suss out a bogus surveyor...

I doubt the 17 year old white sock brigade know what a surveyor is :D

Could anyone ask a surveyor for general points?

An extreme example would be... if i saw a house with moss growing out of the brick in the wall

I would question the value...

For our own advantage... what should I look for in UK property...

It is slightly easier in Europe... you talk in terms of cost per area...

CAS

I guess a smell of damp or cracks in ceilings and walls, is that what you mean ?

It would be expensive to take a surveyor on every house you short list. But I would not buy a house without a full structural survey, the home buyers report is a waste of money.

theres plenty of home inspectors looking for work, now that the HCR has been dropped it could be a good earner.

people should if buying get this done it will be a lot cheaper than full suvey, as sellers are unlikly to pay.

It would be expensive to take a surveyor on every house you short list. But I would not buy a house without a full structural survey, the home buyers report is a waste of money.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a full struc survey as often, the wording can be so ambiguous that they are hardly worth the money. Much better to find a good builder whose word you can rely on... :unsure:

We put in an offer on a house we liked yesterday, it was flatly turned down, moved along there's plenty more houses.

Anyway whilst we were in the EA's another couple had viewed a £250k house only they had taken his father a surveyor with them, who when they got back to the office told the EA they were living in cloud cukoo land and the house wouldn't be valued by the bank for more than £160k tops.

The girl went very pale, started talking about market forces etc etc and the guy said well we'll come back and offer £150k after the Interest rates have risen again.

We looked and each other and grinned, I nearly burst into a cheer !!!

How come you are always at the right place at the right time to get this info beggers belief.

Do you spend you time moving from ea's to ea's ???????? :unsure: