House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
patprimer74

Housing Planning Permissions

Davy Boy has shown himself up, again, by having these contradictory pieces on the same website. Unbelievable!

First piece

"The failure to provide an adequate number of new homes in Britain has contributed to the affordability problem. This situation is bananas. I say it's bananas because one of the problems we've faced is a system that encourages people to believe we should Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone."

Second piece

Conservatives are launching a new national campaign to protect England's gardens and suburban neighbourhoods from being concreted over and over-developed, and build more family homes rather than poky one-bedroom flats.

p

I don't read it as contradictory, attacking NIMBYs as well as the policy of building excessive numbers of cheap flats in unsuitable locations, rather than decent familiy housing.

It is however ********, as they're nothing more than cheap words, and there's no more of a natural refuge of the BANANA brigade than the Tory party.

When push comes to shove, the Conservatives are the party for the elderly. Each time Cameron thinks about trying to attract a broader range of voters the reaction from the consituencies and traditional voters is strong enough to scare him off. Hoping Cameron will do something to amend planning laws is unduly optimistic.

Quite frankly, David Ca-moron is the worst leader the 'Tories' have ever had - he even surpasses wee Willie Hague and IDS when it comes to uselessness. The man is a creep and slimeball, he posesses not one shred of Toryism, the electorate have seen through him and I look forward to seeing him get trounced at the next election*

*I am actually a party member ;)

Could someone explain why are these are necessarily contradictory?

It seems to be exactly what http://""' target="_blank">The events of 9/11 must have brought home to us all the fact that we have created a world of great danger and great insecurity. That action must be taken, that we must tackle the sources and causes of insecurity, is not in doubt. But it is not simply a question of whether we take action; how we take action is also important. The reason for that is simple. If we act in the wrong way, we will create more of the problems that we aim to tackle. For every cause of insecurity with which we try to deal, we shall create a new one.

btp

Quite frankly, David Ca-moron is the worst leader the 'Tories' have ever had - he even surpasses wee Willie Hague and IDS when it comes to uselessness. The man is a creep and slimeball, he posesses not one shred of Toryism, the electorate have seen through him and I look forward to seeing him get trounced at the next election*

I quite like the guy, but I am not a conservative. I wrote to him congratulating him on his brave stance on housing a few months ago and got the biggest load of tosh back. Total dissembling all about planning decisions at local level and letting the community decide. Like that's going to work. Sounds like you should be voting Labour to me.

Those two quotes in question are not necessarily contradictory, who truly wants to live in tiny flats parked in someone's back garden? See this post I made on the otherside for more background on this issue.

However, the Tories are utterly contradictory on housing, you only need look at Camerons backers and what Michael Gove, their housing minister, has to say on such issues. I wouldn't trust them with a barge pole.

edit: oh, it looks like this place is still heavily censored, which is mainly why I avoid posting here, so I shall have to quote the post in question, this was made in response to that Tonight With Trev McDoughnut programme on 'brownfield' development

After watching this program these nimbies didnt seem to be as bad as some of you make out. I could see their point. Afterall they are only protecting their own quality of life. I kind of believe in that myself even though I don't own a home. The alternative just seemed to be uncontrolled development by unprincipled investors building tonnes of 1 or 2 bedroom new build shoeboxes that all cost the earth. There's no shortage of them for sale where I live.

They confused the issues, what you saw was suburban folk who have accepted a good number of developments but are now uncomfortable with the slow transformation of their neighbourhood into a mini Tower Hamlets, this is a direct result of our screwed up planning system that now exclusively drives high density "brownfield" development, I have every sympathy with them and don't consider them to be nimbies. The case with those residents is a perfect example of "brownfield" development, it didn't exactly look like an industrial wasteland did it? I've been saying this all along! Parks, playing fields, allotments, cricket pitches, bowling greens, back gardens even set aside land in towns and cities is ALL classified as brownfield and ripe for development, they are afforded no protection at all, this is not the greenbelt, councils are given targets and are duty bound to build on them first. The government then calls it "urban renewal", "regeneration", "sustainable development", to make it sound as if they're clearing away the empty factories and building beatiful homes, as if! It actually means decimating urban areas with nothing but flats, and it doesn't matter what you destroy in the process. They use the word "brownfield development" to make it sound like they're redeveloping wastelands or dumps, not at all, don't be fooled by this for one minute.

I'm as dead against those unwanted flats cramming into peoples' back gardens as the residents themselves, who wants our towns and cities to become high density grey deserts? Apart from people like the CPRE who fooled the government into introducing such stupid bloody rules, of course nobody bothers to question them on camera, they're quite happy to pull the strings from above. They sit in the countryside plotting to destroy the towns, lest one field be lost.

Developers only go along with this because of the framework that forbids any other type of development, they'd rather build medium density housing on greenfield, but because of this "brownfield first" approach developers target existing residential areas and take over gardens and destroy existing estates, most of suburbia will turned into an highly packed, high density urban mess if present trends continue. There are reasons why a seemingly good idea turn so ugly, developers aren't stupid and realise people dont want to live on former contaminated wastelands, most of which are usually next to railway lines, motorway junctions, existing factories and industrial estates, such places have no local shops, schools, amenities and aren't suitable for residential development, they were never intended to be, so developers go for existing residential developments where the infrastructure is in place and where the soil doesn't need to be decontaminated, places where people want to actually live.

The reason we're seeing such "town cramming" and the reason such places are being destroyed is precisely because we no longer release greenfield land for development, 93% of the UK is still countryside, less than 7% is urban but try and release an additional 0.1% for housing and you'll be accused of "concreting over the countryside". This is due to the countryside nimbies, the real nimbies, which the programme completely ignored, such people are the real driving force and hold a great deal of influence because they're backed by some very rich landowners, this is in a completely different league to those you assumed to be nimbies.

Edited by BuyingBear

This was a fantastic piece of work Patprimer but it doesn't stop Tony Blair being a complete and utter ****.

I'd rather have contradiction on a website than a feckless bunch of warmongers running the country.

I seem to remember some rat-faced woman crying on TV when she'd actually forgotten that a conman bought a bunch of flats on her behalf. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ****.

Are you about to lose your job within the Labour party? :D

No, :D

p

When push comes to shove, the Conservatives are the party for the elderly.

Surely, you mean "...the Conservatives are the party of the elderly."

p

No, :D

p

Surely, you mean "...the Conservatives are the party of the elderly."

p

It must be a really slow day at Labour HQ (if it hasn't been sold off) when this is all you can find about Cameron.

The Labour Party have done nothing for housing except magnify the problem and make vast amounts from stamp duty. Thank God they have blotted their own copybook so much that the public treats them as a joke.

This really isn't a good site to canvas support for the Labour Party.