House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Official: Property Transactions Hit 6 Month Low

I knew it was going to be a good bear week!

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/21082006/214/prope...-month-low.html

Monday August 21, 12:05 PM
Property transactions hit 6-month low
LONDON (ShareCast) -
A new survey has shown that the number of actual transactions in the British housing market fell to a
six month
low in July.
New tax authority data from Revenue and Customs showed that the number of property transactions in England and Wales fell to 139,000 in July from 149,000 the month before.
It is the lowest level since January this year, when only 134,000 sales were recorded.
However property transactions data, recorded only once the property is sold, is generally seen as a lagging indicator of Britain's housing market.

Anyone feeling happy? :D

Whose been telling us porkies then about the increased number of sales and FTBs returning to market :lol:

Flying off the shelves? :lol:

I can feel a HPC coming on........................ :o

I knew it was going to be a good bear week!

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/21082006/214/prope...-month-low.html

Monday August 21, 12:05 PM
Property transactions hit 6-month low
LONDON (ShareCast) -
A new survey has shown that the number of actual transactions in the British housing market fell to a
six month
low in July.
New tax authority data from Revenue and Customs showed that the number of property transactions in England and Wales fell to 139,000 in July from 149,000 the month before.
It is the lowest level since January this year, when only 134,000 sales were recorded.
However property transactions data, recorded only once the property is sold, is generally seen as a lagging indicator of Britain's housing market.

Anyone feeling happy? :D

Whose been telling us porkies then about the increased number of sales and FTBs returning to market :lol:

Flying off the shelves? :lol:

I can feel a HPC coming on........................ :o

Thanks RB - that was the data I was looking for - can we compare each month of this year and also compare with recent years to get some perspective on what those numbers mean in context. I have a feeling that the crash is starting and these numbers may show that positive sentiment is drying up fast

Thanks RB - that was the data I was looking for - can we compare each month of this year and also compare with recent years to get some perspective on what those numbers mean in context. I have a feeling that the crash is starting and these numbers may show that positive sentiment is drying up fast

It would be interesting to see the Revenue's data, especially a month to month breakdown.

This is quite stunning news and it will be interesting if the sheeple press splash it accross tomorrows front pages along with the usual knicker pictures?

Merv has a tough choice coming up as my bet is that inflation has not yet started to turn the corner forcing him to strike the death blow to Gordon's legacy. I can almost see TB grinning fiendishly at the prospect.

Thanks for the link - sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees :rolleyes:

Great news. And to think I was derided for calling November 05 - June 06 a classic sucker's rally; "soft landing" etc.

With liquidity drying up and nothing shifting what exactly are these hordes of EAs actually doing? (apart from playing internet solitaire!)

Guest X-QUORK

A word of caution here though, that graph shows quarterly data and the latest Revenue figures are monthly, so be sure to compare apples with apples.

Great news. And to think I was derided for calling November 05 - June 06 a classic sucker's rally; "soft landing" etc.

With liquidity drying up and nothing shifting what exactly are these hordes of EAs actually doing? (apart from playing internet solitaire!)

Looking for a buyer for their Golf TDIs I guess !!

Edited by faloos

Link suggests the total number of transactions is the highest for that quarter on record. Hardly bearish news - sure you aren't believing your own spin Realist Bear?

Spin? Its exactly what the article says:

LONDON (ShareCast) - A new survey has shown that the number of actual transactions in the British housing market
fell to a six month low in July.
"fell to a six month low in July"

It doesn't get any plainer than that. If the government are spinning then that's another matter but it would seem that they are more likely to spin the other way as they are out of office after the HPC lays waste to the economy.

It doesn't get any plainer than that. If the government are spinning then that's another matter but it would seem that they are more likely to spin the other way as they are out of office after the HPC lays waste to the economy.

A six month low at one of the quietest times of the year for property? Big deal. That's like saying temperatures reached a six month low in December. A six year low would be worth talking about...

Guest Shedfish

wouldn't this data refer to spring transactions (due to the 70 - 80 day average lag)?

Guest Shedfish

The figures refer to July according to the original post.

"However property transactions data, recorded only once the property is sold, is generally seen as a lagging indicator of Britain's housing market."

with average transactions taking 80 days

"However property transactions data, recorded only once the property is sold, is generally seen as a lagging indicator of Britain's housing market."

with average transactions taking 80 days

That's odd as it doesn't square with the land registry figures for the same period showing volumes as up on the same period 12 months earlier...

Guest Shedfish

That's odd as it doesn't square with the land registry figures for the same period showing volumes as up on the same period 12 months earlier...

the document you mention is titled

Summary of average prices (all England and Wales) for the period

April – June 2006 compared with the same period in 2005

an apple and a pear?

the document you mention is titled

Summary of average prices (all England and Wales) for the period

April – June 2006 compared with the same period in 2005

an apple and a pear?

How about Table 3 - Volume of sales included in property price data?

You should try reading more than just the title... ;)

Edited by IamSpartacus

Update the graph!

How do we get Webmaster to update the graph?

Now that he's getting a wage from the new owners, us customers should be able to get up-to-date info on the main pages.

I advise most people who haven't seen this site before to take a look at the articles and data before delving into the craziness of the forums. That's where I started.

If the data were updated more often and new items flagged on the front page, it might encourage more visits.

Just a thought.

Guest Shedfish

How about Table 3 - Volume of sales included in property price data?

You should try reading more than just the title... ;)

table 3 is a quarter on quarter comparison, spring 2006 against spring 2005. the clue is in it's title.

Table 3 - Volume of sales included in property price data

April - June 2005 (as at 31.07.05) April - June 2006

the subject of this thread, unless i'm completely missing the point is a month-on-month comparison in 2006 alone (July against June), in which there is a dip, at a time of year one would expect a rise.

i'll try to read more tables if you get a decent calendar :ph34r::)

the subject of this thread, unless i'm completely missing the point is a month-on-month comparison in 2006 alone (July against June), in which there is a dip, at a time of year one would expect a rise.

I would think the words '6 Month Low' would give you a clue as to the subject of this thread... ;)

More generally, my point was that LR data shows volumes in the last few months to be high relative to a comparable time 12 months ago. The fact that the comparison is quarterly and not affected by seasonal factors makes it more believable than the monthly figures quoted above. In other words I don't think volumes have dropped significantly, in fact they seem relatively high in many parts of the country.