House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Heating Up

After telling my landlord recently how expensive it is to heat my flat with the installed storage heater system, she said

"Those heaters were never meant to be the main source of heat for the flat" (there is no other source of heat other than a real flame gas fire - inadequate for such a large place).

Attached to the wall like radiators, what else are they for if not to heat the place to an adequate temp. in the winter?

My question is, as this was not highlighted at the time of undertaking the rental agreement, do I have any kind of comeback/rent reduction possibility?

Be very careful with those storeage heaters, they get very hot, my 1 year old fell against one last year and badly burnt her hand. I think it's a case though of if you wanted gas central heating then you should have checked before moving into the property.

After telling my landlord recently how expensive it is to heat my flat with the installed storage heater system, she said

"Those heaters were never meant to be the main source of heat for the flat" (there is no other source of heat other than a real flame gas fire - inadequate for such a large place).

Attached to the wall like radiators, what else are they for if not to heat the place to an adequate temp. in the winter?

My question is, as this was not highlighted at the time of undertaking the rental agreement, do I have any kind of comeback/rent reduction possibility?

I don't think you have a case but i do remember when i had some of those at my old flat, if you don;t economy 7 it and pump it up during the day look forward to ma-hu-sive bills.

There is heating in the house therefore unless you can get environmental health to complain there is nothing you can do apart from leaving at the end of your 6 months.

Cheers all, I knew it was electric heating when we moved in. Anyway, we've been there 2 years and I knocked the LL down by £50 a month initially.

I don't think I'll push it as we love the place & the doddery couple rent it out for well below market value IMO, but that levels out with the heating costs. I'll just keep it as my trump card if they ever try to increase the rent. <_<

Oldham council have messed things up on their gas heating -

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/NEWSTH05.html

‘Say sorry’ demand over fuel bills hike

by Richard Hooton

A COUNCILLOR has called on Labour’s housing chief to apologise to tenants for a sudden hike in heating charges.

Oldham Council is proposing soaring rises in fuel bills for 3,475 existing and 175 former tenants — the 24 per cent of tenants who pay the authority for gas.

Bills are set to rise from between 171 per cent and 342 per cent.

The council says soaring gas costs have left a £1 million shortfall that has to be passed on to tenants.

But Liberal Democrats’ housing spokesman Councillor John Anchor is furious the council took so long to act and demanded that cabinet member for council housing, Councillor Riaz Ahmad, publicly apologises.

He said: “During the last two to three years, energy prices on the world market have soared but yet the council’s Labour leadership has taken no action until now to respond.

“The leadership has now chosen to bridge the gap in virtually one fell swoop thereby necessitating massive rises in tenants’ heating bills.

“The leadership is guilty of taking its eye off this ball during the last two to three years and has thereby greatly disadvantaged the council’s tenants.

“Many tenants are from low income groups and some are disadvantaged in other ways.

“Many of them will face real hardship as a result of the swingeing increases proposed.”

The cabinet will rule on the proposed charges on Monday.