House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Ftbs May Be In The Mood For An Organized General Strike

A general strike against CPI (Car price inflation) worked a few years ago and brought car tax and other padding down to where cars in the UK were not that much higher than in the EZ.

If FTBs could be convinced to ignore the VI propaganda and agree to a general strike for 6 months the housing market would collapse very rapidly bringing affordability down in a fraction of the time compared with allowing the bubble to deflate of its won accord. It will simply involve the great mass of FTBs agreeing to go nowhere near an EA, not even to raise their hopes up with a registration of interest, for at least 6 months. A lot of parents would be behind their kids on this also as few people see HPI as a positive for families or the nation.

Bumper stickers would be one way. A "just say no" campaign. Pricedout may have some good input.

Financialplanner has access to a weekly radio programme and there are no doubt other ways to launch a national campaign. Its not that I am impatient or anything........................... <_<

Edited by Realistbear

Not a bad idea, but wouldn't the FTB's just be replaced by even more BTL sharks? Which seems to be whats causing the prolonging of this whole thing at the moment.

Not a bad idea, but wouldn't the FTB's just be replaced by even more BTL sharks? Which seems to be whats causing the prolonging of this whole thing at the moment.

I have been actively doing this for a few months now, and I have also been trying to convince my colleagues and friends not to buy, but to hold off. The more people that do this the quicker a HP correction will occur. Most people i speak to understand the concept and reasoning behind what I am trying to achieve, but their are a still a few, of the, I want it now god damit mindset and to hell with the consequences in years to come.

#scoobydoo#

:ph34r:

A general strike against CPI (Car price inflation) worked a few years ago and brought car tax and other padding down to where cars in the UK were not that much higher than in the EZ.

If FTBs could be convinced to ignore the VI propaganda and agree to a general strike for 6 months the housing market would collapse very rapidly bringing affordability down in a fraction of the time compared with allowing the bubble to deflate of its won accord. It will simply involve the great mass of FTBs agreeing to go nowhere near an EA, not even to raise their hopes up with a registration of interest, for at least 6 months. A lot of parents would be behind their kids on this also as few people see HPI as a positive for families or the nation.

Bumper stickers would be one way. A "just say no" campaign. Pricedout may have some good input.

Financialplanner has access to a weekly radio programme and there are no doubt other ways to launch a national campaign. Its not that I am impatient or anything........................... <_<

Marina would be pleased! :lol:

I do my bit - I refuse to let out estate agents' cars from junctions. :ph34r: (mind you, it seems like everyone shared this attitude)

Me too, I give the other side to the VI ramping most people believe in. I've also engaged in some guerilla sticker slapping of home-made HPC.co.uk stickers in choice places like the property magazine racks in smiths etc. Sad but true! :ph34r:

Trouble is I've had people tell me at the end of an HPC explanation that er, actually they're' in the process of getting a mortgage right now', which can be a bit embarrassing!

What general strike? Cars have got a bit cheaper recently but that may be for a number of reasons. I don't see you shouting "General consumer strike succeeds as DVD players plummet to UKP20. New campain to keep the strike on until they get to 20p just launched." ;)

If FTBs could be convinced to ignore the VI propaganda and agree to a general strike for 6 months the housing market would collapse very rapidly bringing affordability down in a fraction of the time compared with allowing the bubble to deflate of its won accord.

I thought their numbers have declined a lot. There is no sign of a crash yet. They will still need to live somewhere, and the market could not care less if they own or rent.

It will simply involve the great mass of FTBs agreeing to go nowhere near an EA, not even to raise their hopes up with a registration of interest, for at least 6 months. A lot of parents would be behind their kids on this also as few people see HPI as a positive for families or the nation.

Simply, eh? What great mass? Either you are seriously confused or I just utterly failed to get the joke. I wonder which it is <_<

How about some corner flash stickers to paste across the corner of EA's boards saying simply: '30% Overpriced' in large letters. Then underneath in smaller type, something like 'Economists agree UK housing is currently 30% above long term trend. Are you sure you want to buy now? www.houspricecrash.co.uk'

:D

I like your tactics.

You should put some stickers on traffic lights, I drive past some advertising a fete from several months ago (so they are unlikely to be removed)!

I don't think the majority of FTBs even have the luxury of choosing not to buy. They can't afford to full stop. The reason I believe that HPC has to happen is that it won't need political lobbying or action groups or protests, it just needs the current economic realities.

True, choice has been taken out of the matter for most. But there's no harm in nudging those who are doubting considering borrowing ridiculous amounts off the fence and square into bear territory.