House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

The Booths Are Back In Town

However, a more troublesome episode occurred when Mr Booth went to Dublin airport to send off his Christmas presents to England.

When asked by security officials to whom the packages were destined, he replied: "They're for my grandchildren."

Mr Booth said: "They then asked me where they lived and I said they lived in London, off Whitehall. "When they pressed me, I replied No 10 Downing Street. They gave me a strip search. I couldn't believe it."

They were only doing their job - there could have been semtex in there :D

"They were only doing their job - there could have been semtex in there."

:lol::lol:

I thought this was a fairly sad story really but I guess the general reaction is par for the course on here. If it's not sniping at people who are doing well, it's taking delight in those who've been unfortunate.

I thought this was a fairly sad story really but I guess the general reaction is par for the course on here. If it's not sniping at people who are doing well, it's taking delight in those who've been unfortunate.

Unfortunate?

What planet of milk and honey do you live on?

btp

Unfortunate?

What planet of milk and honey do you live on?

btp

Did you read the article? It's about them having to abandon their retirement dream following what seems to equate to racial harrassment. Whatever you think of Blair, it seems a bit cruel to delight in the disappointment of his 74 year old father in law.

When I was growing up in the UK there was a fine tradition of politcal satire.

Surely the country is not loosing this rich and democratic element of culure as well - that really would be a nail in the coffin.

When I was growing up in the UK there was a fine tradition of politcal satire.

Surely the country is not loosing this rich and democratic element of culure as well - that really would be a nail in the coffin.

But it's not satire, it's sour schadenfreude.

I've heard about the unfriendliness of the Irish before. A few years back a friend of mine was doing somekind of VSO thing with underpriviledged immigrant kids over there. Had to come back early because the locals simply wouldn't offer any cooperation whatsoever (or actually even speak to her). As someone used to being popular, doing good and being able to charm almost anyone it was quite a shock to her.

Suspect Tony Booth has made a nice profit from the cottage though.

Did you read the article? It's about them having to abandon their retirement dream following what seems to equate to racial harrassment. Whatever you think of Blair, it seems a bit cruel to delight in the disappointment of his 74 year old father in law.

Finding work abroad is never easy. Apparently only he was retiring. Except he was still working on The Bill. Did you read the article?

Why didn't she try the private sector? Surely they would have been falling over themselves for her boundless talents? Perhaps it was ageism? This would probably be a more accurate claim.

At least she had the determination to whore herself round every political party. Sadly this wouldn't have impressed the political parties out there.

Not all retirees have the fall back option of a granny annex in their son-in-law's Barbados property either.

I'll save my sympathy for those in true poverty or poor health, not clueless couples who seem surprised that their pretentious car (I assume still on UK plates) gets vandalised in rural Ulster, and that turning up to a traditional music session and writing for the parish rag didn't exactly integrate them into the community in the eyes of the local yoof. I'm guessing they are probably fed up with those stereotypes.

btp

I had my own experience of this.

One of my neighbours is a policy advisor who works in Number 10 (he tells me Cherie sometimes slobs around in a dressing gown until midday). I got him to witness my newborn daughter's passport application, and he put his place of work as No. 10.

A few days later he was phoned at work to check he really existed. They made him write them a letter on Downing St paper to prove it.

My daughter still got her passport in time for the trip.

It seems they do check dodgy-looking applications sometimes.