House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bingley Bloke

Is America's Property Bubble Really Bigger Than Ours?

I keep reading about how the America's property bubble is even bigger than the UK's, yet if my partner was to sell her two bed bungalow next to a council estate for what it is allegedly worth she could move to Florida and buy a villa with a pool and acres of land and have change left for a Porsche Boxster.

I keep reading about how the America's property bubble is even bigger than the UK's, yet if my partner was to sell her two bed bungalow next to a council estate for what it is allegedly worth she could move to Florida and buy a villa with a pool and acres of land and have change left for a Porsche Boxster.

The boom doesn't apply to the entire USA. There are notable pockets like California that have inflated to incredible proportions whilst others are still seen as 'fair value' and still rising (Seattle). Reports suggest that Florida was part of the bubble. My own opinion is that our property problems do seem more evenly spread.

.....by the way I suggest you keep the council house in England because Florida is not a paradise. It reminds me of some chav infested Spanish resort for fat people. There are far more beautiful and cultured places to spend your money!

http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/ifdp/2005/841/ifdp841.pdf

This was in another thread and the charts on page 47 (ish) dont make it seem that a crash in the US is happening now or is likely in the near future.

That report is a year old.

Interest rates have risen from 1% to 5.25%. Many homeowners took out mortgages when rates were very low, fixed for 2 years.

In the most bubbly parts of the US the numbers of these creative finance mortagages is staggering.

Homeowners are likely to see their repayments shoot up 50% or more in the next year.

But oh no, the crash won' happen lala land etc.

Have a look at Florida, they're in full crash mode now.