House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Garry AKA Pod

Eating Out Overtakes Home Dining

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5263156.stm

Eating out overtakes home dining

Changing tastes have had an impact on the economy

UK households are spending more money on eating out than buying food to eat at home, official figures show.

Spending on food and drink consumed outside the home surged 102% between 1992 and 2004 to hit £87.5bn in 2004.

Bills for home-cooked fare rose 53.4% to £85.5bn during the same period, the Office for National Statistics said.

A cultural shift which has led to people eating out more regularly and enjoying a wider range of cuisine sparked the change, the ONS added.

Recent surveys have suggested consumers are now eating more food on the go, including junk food - widely blamed by nutritionists for increasing obesity levels.

Changing economy

The ONS report, which examines changing trends in the UK economy, also found that computer and related services were the fastest growing industry group in monetary terms between 1992 and 2004.

But finance and business services remain the biggest single sector in the UK - making up a third of the economy in 2004.

Manufacturing remained in long-term decline, but witnessed a surprise spurt of growth in 2004, for the first time since 1998.

Nevertheless, manufacturing's overall share of the economy was just 14.1% in 2004, as opposed to 21.7% in 1995 - led by a decline in textile industries and heavy manufacturing.

The reason I posted this was to show how much money the population waste. When they finally realise the credit cow has crashed and burned, they won't be able to afford to go out to eat this regulaly. Then the restaurants will get quieter, have to start laying people off etc etc.

Just another domino waiting to fall.

Anyway, can't people cook anymore?

The reason I posted this was to show how much money the population waste. When they finally realise the credit cow has crashed and burned, they won't be able to afford to go out to eat this regulaly. Then the restaurants will get quieter, have to start laying people off etc etc.

Does everyone pay for their meals out by Visa?

<_<

I would guess most use disposable income. It would of course be the first thing to go if they economy gets tight.

Bills for home-cooked fare rose 53.4% to £85.5bn during the same period, the Office for National Statistics said

hmm and food is supposed to be keeping the CPI figures low! :blink:

Guest Alright Jack

Jimothy, you are SO right. This thing is truly monsterous and when it starts to break down it will be STAGGERING to behold. Our economy is leveraged to the hilt, based on transactions of imported goods and overpaid useless public servants.

The coming sterling crisis is going to be spectacular in the extreme. What is so dangerous is the extent to which the middle classes have leveraged themselves. The problem is that all this debt appears a non-issue because the middle class is generally earning enough to service this debt for the time being, but a change in credit conditions (that must surely come) will anihilate demand for anything other than the bare essentials for living - all but for a few who have some savings (who are they??????). Where does this leave an economy based on bubble based financial and consumer services?

The goverments books look scary already and this is BEFORE the tax base collapses due to recession and BEFORE the entitlement system goes parabolic. I honestly believe we're going to see real poverty in this country before this decade is out. I mean real people without the ability to actually feed themselves.

I wonder if energy prices will rise to such a level where eating somewhere where everything is cooked together is more economical than countless singles heating up their individual ovens for their M&S supper?

btp

I wonder if energy prices will rise to such a level where eating somewhere where everything is cooked together is more economical than countless singles heating up their individual ovens for their M&S supper?

btp

You clearly win 1st prize for best avatar of the week mate. :lol:

You clearly win 1st prize for best avatar of the week mate. :lol:

You mean an up market soup kitchen , with the salvation army running it !! Its on the cards.

btp

You mean an up market soup kitchen , with the salvation army running it !! Its on the cards.

Does this article spell so much doom and gloom or does it simply mean that we are becoming more continental and moving out of our couches of an evening. For f@@ks sake. If you go to Spain, Italy or France you'll notice eating out is enjoyed just as much there and before you say it it isn't a great deal cheaper in those areas.

To me this just highlights a shift upwards in consumer confidence. Of course the Bears are going to jump on the rising bankruptcy, growing debt argument but I see the growth in that stems mainly from your benefit/low income goon who takes out every store card he/she can get their hands on without any thought to how they are going to pay it back. Of course the odd BTL has failed but the majority of the British Public have no debt other than a mortgage or are managing a debt of less than 20%of annual income.

If you go to Spain, Italy or France you'll notice eating out is enjoyed just as much there and before you say it it isn't a great deal cheaper in those areas.

Oh yes it is! (panto style). I've lived in France and I've lived in England and I tell you now it is much more expensive in England.

You pay more in £ in a provincial town in the UK than you do in Paris in €. And, with notable exceptions, the food is better.

To me this just highlights a shift upwards in consumer confidence. Of course the Bears are going to jump on the rising bankruptcy, growing debt argument but I see the growth in that stems mainly from your benefit/low income goon who takes out every store card he/she can get their hands on without any thought to how they are going to pay it back. Of course the odd BTL has failed but the majority of the British Public have no debt other than a mortgage or are managing a debt of less than 20%of annual income.

Jeez 20% seems a pretty high figure of debt to deal with.

Do you have a source for that?

Oh yes it is! (panto style). I've lived in France and I've lived in England and I tell you now it is much more expensive in England.

You pay more in £ in a provincial town in the UK than you do in Paris in €. And, with notable exceptions, the food is better.

On no it isnt! I lived in Spain and France and still have property in both countries which I visit regularly. If you take an expensive restaurant in UK and a Plat de Jour in France then of course you'll have differences but here you can buy a lunch for £4.99 and in France it costs on avarage 8-10 euros for a Plat de Jour (Lunch of the day) and in Spain around 12 euros for a menu del dia. In Spain you can buy cheaper chinese food I put my hands up to that. Most restaurants though in Spain and France I was paying 60 euros + for a meal for two. In the UK its £40. No difference whatsoever.

hmm and food is supposed to be keeping the CPI figures low! :blink:

food has been helping to keep cpi low - but this is rapidly changing

due to the commodity cycle now reaching agricultural products.

wheat, corn and sugar prices are all rapidly increasing..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5263156.stm

Eating out overtakes home dining

Changing tastes have had an impact on the economy

UK households are spending more money on eating out than buying food to eat at home, official figures show.

Spending on food and drink consumed outside the home surged 102% between 1992 and 2004 to hit £87.5bn in 2004.

Bills for home-cooked fare rose 53.4% to £85.5bn during the same period, the Office for National Statistics said.

A cultural shift which has led to people eating out more regularly and enjoying a wider range of cuisine sparked the change, the ONS added.

Recent surveys have suggested consumers are now eating more food on the go, including junk food - widely blamed by nutritionists for increasing obesity levels.

I would view this report with suspicion - Junk food, pub meals, restaurant meals etc are probably rising in price at a much slower rate than supermarket-bought goods. In fact I have at a local pub that there have been a spate of "special offers" on meals recently. It is now cheaper to eat there than it was a year ago! If this is a general trend we will probably find that the CPI weighting given to "meals eaten out" will increase substantially in the near future.

Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle....

I would view this report with suspicion - Junk food, pub meals, restaurant meals etc are probably rising in price at a much slower rate than supermarket-bought goods. In fact I have at a local pub that there have been a spate of "special offers" on meals recently. It is now cheaper to eat there than it was a year ago! If this is a general trend we will probably find that the CPI weighting given to "meals eaten out" will increase substantially in the near future.

Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle....

I'd agree that pub food hasn't risen in price, but then I'd hardly class that as going out for a meal in the same way as going to a restaurant. My girlfriend is a prime example of the type of person this exposes. Her idea of a home cooked meal is a ready meal, straight out of the freezer. She was baffled and then upset when I told her that didn't really count as a healthy home cooked meal.

I know of lots of people that think the same way, thus not only do they spend lots of money eating out, but also buying crap overpriced "ready meals" when they do decide to eat at home.

Thus to sum it up, spend lots of money on food, that they could cook themselves far, far cheaper if they actually sat down and learnt to cook. It's not rocket science.

I guess when they have to start tightening their belts they will just resort to beans on toast or a KFC family bucket.

Thus to sum it up, spend lots of money on food, that they could cook themselves far, far cheaper if they actually sat down and learnt to cook. It's not rocket science.

I guess when they have to start tightening their belts they will just resort to beans on toast or a KFC family bucket.

KFC is really expensive and now only a luxury afforded by those on benefits and drug dealers.

A KFC for 2 or 3 could cost you as much if not more than a meal for two at your local Italian.

KFC is really expensive and now only a luxury afforded by those on benefits and drug dealers.

A KFC for 2 or 3 could cost you as much if not more than a meal for two at your local Italian.

Exactly! It's crap food and costs a lot of money. You can cook a tasty and healthy meal for 4 for less money.

On no it isnt! I lived in Spain and France and still have property in both countries which I visit regularly. If you take an expensive restaurant in UK and a Plat de Jour in France then of course you'll have differences but here you can buy a lunch for £4.99 and in France it costs on avarage 8-10 euros for a Plat de Jour (Lunch of the day) and in Spain around 12 euros for a menu del dia. In Spain you can buy cheaper chinese food I put my hands up to that. Most restaurants though in Spain and France I was paying 60 euros + for a meal for two. In the UK its £40. No difference whatsoever.

Unlike you I am not of the propertied class and perhaps we therefore eat in different establishments.

All I know is that meals for a fiver in Cambridge where I lived for many years are few and far between.The only place I can think of is Dojos and even there I think 6 is the minimum now. You do well to find something under £8 and it ain't great. Now Cambridge is not the UK's cheapest city, but it is a bit cheaper than London.

In Paris where I am at the moment, there many places within 5 minutes walking distance where you can have a good main course for less than €8. There are of course more expensive places.

I went to a really good restauarant where I ate very well indeed for under €20 last week-end, aperitifs and wine included. I'll send you the address if you want.

Edited by Bucephalus

Exactly! It's crap food and costs a lot of money. You can cook a tasty and healthy meal for 4 for less money.

I fully agree it annoys me when you see people on benefits complaining about food bills etc as they chomp through their 5th pack of Pringles whilst opening a pack of Chicken Nuggets and frozen chips. Why not go down to the market grab £10 worth of veg for the week. Go to the butchers buy a large chicken for £4. Have a Roast Chicken meal on Sunday, save half of the chicken. Use that half of chicken on Monday in a stir fry or stew or casserole. Tuesdays buy some nice diced pork, wednesday do a nice vegtable risotto etc etc, mince on Thursday for a nice Cottage Pie. I could easily feed a family of 4 on £40 a week and they would eat better than they have ever eaten before in their lives.

Unlike you I am not of the propertied class and perhaps we therefore eat in different establishments.

All I know is that meals for a fiver in Cambridge where I lived for many years are few and far between.The only place I can think of is Dojos and even there I think 6 is the minimum now. You do well to find something under £8 and it ain't great. Now Cambridge is not the UK's cheapest city, but it is a bit cheaper than London.

In Paris where I am at the moment, there many places within 5 minutes walking distance where you can have a good main course for less than €8. There are of course more expensive places.

I went to a really good restauarant where I ate very well indeed for under €20 last week-end, aperitifs and wine included. I'll send you the address if you want.

Sounds very good. A meal for one for £14 is a bargain but I know 20+ places where I could get a meal for one for around £14 in Brighton. Just off the cuff somewhere that is expensive is La Tasca but for 2 people having a lovely large Paella and a bottle of wine it is £26 (£13 each) http://www.latasca.co.uk/PAELL/Paellas.html

That would be expensive though.

Something cheaper may be Al Doumo a great Italian Restaurant in the centre of Town.

Pre & Post-Theatre Dinner

2 courses with coffee £7.95

Monday - Sunday

http://www.alduomo.co.uk/

Leanardos as well - Great restaurant with a £4.95 lunch http://www.leonardo-restaurant.co.uk/Defau...0&Language=

Really? 50p a meal? (40/7/4/3=0.48)

50p a meal, is it that much. Very easy. Lets deal with breakfast shall we.

5Kg of tesco value oats (0.38p 1kg), 2x carton of cheap apple juice (0.48p per litre) , 6 pints of milk (£1.62) - total cost £4.48

Soak the oats in the apple juice - serve as apple porridge

Works out at 16p per person