House Price Crash Forum
Ritters

Where To Stash The Cash

I've got ~£36k in various ISA's in more than one account name, and was thinking of moving it all, to return more than slightly above inflation.

I want to stay *reasonably* liquid, as i'm not certain if i'll remain in this country the way things are going (got no ties)

What options do I have for my cash?

Thanks in advance for your advice

With sterling as overvalued as it is foreign denominated savings might be a good bet. Swiss Francs pay next to nothing but if the pound tanks by 20%....

I am mostly in US$ getting 5.04% and am counting on at least a 10% correction in sterling which will net an effective 15% or about 5-7% above real inflation.

I'll PM you later RB

Any more suggestions?

I've just bought some GBS (Gold Bullion Securities) shares.

Basically a share company for a store of gold so price is directly related to gold price.

1 share = 1/10 the price of gold

The good thing at the moment is that these are UK listed and therefore as the £ is currently strong a good time to buy.

I'll PM you later RB

Any more suggestions?

Try Canadian Royal Energy Trusts (for example PVX) yielding 10%, in canadian dollars, and capital appreciation running at approx 15 to 20%.

Nat Gas and Oil is where your money should be - canadian dollars gives you the currency hedge as well.

Due your own due diligence as I am also frequently wrong.

I've got ~£36k in various ISA's in more than one account name, and was thinking of moving it all, to return more than slightly above inflation.

I want to stay *reasonably* liquid, as i'm not certain if i'll remain in this country the way things are going (got no ties)

What options do I have for my cash?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Remember if you move your money to another investment that pays any kind of income (as opposed to just experiencing capital growth) you'll have to pay tax on that income. If you're a higher rate tax payer that may well wipe out any extra return you get from moving elsewhere, not to mention increasing your risk...

Where to stash the cash? Not in cash IMO, it's being devalued at an alarming rate of knots.

The big question is, where then?

The big question is, where then?

NS&I Government investments - Alan Sugar says that they BEAT INFLATION!!! (this is EMPHASISED heavily in the TV versions :lol: )

If you don't save voluntarily then they'll grab your spare cash/liquidity through forced pensions anyway :lol:

Edited by dnd

I am mostly in US$ getting 5.04% and am counting on at least a 10% correction in sterling which will net an effective 15% or about 5-7% above real inflation.

How sure are you about that? The US Govt have historically devalued the dollar as a way of reducing foreign debt, of which they now have a ton(ne). The Economist had a good graph of the "US Peso" last year.

I have a lot of cash in usd too, which I'm reluctant to pull out right now but wondering if I might regret later not doing do.

i

Well, first it was the dot-com boom, then the housing boom and IIRC the current one is emerging economies in the East boom....

Dunno how you'd invest in this one - shares probably?

How sure are you about that? The US Govt have historically devalued the dollar as a way of reducing foreign debt, of which they now have a ton(ne). The Economist had a good graph of the "US Peso" last year.

I have a lot of cash in usd too, which I'm reluctant to pull out right now but wondering if I might regret later not doing do.

i

My bet is on the US$ performing well against sterling. IMO, we both go down together in the HPC but we go down harder as the US economy is 32% housing compared with our 72%. Historical range for the pound is in the 1.60's (last 10 years). I believe we are about 15-20% overvalued against the $ at 1.88.

As you watch the pound and the Euro there is strong resistance at around current levels due to the fragility of the European recovery. UK is only just going into a recessionary cycle and its my bet that CABLE will reflect this new reality toward the end of the year. Right now, the markets think Gordon's HPI-MEW miracle is not yet over but they will pull the rug if there are a couple of months in a row of declinging prices and the FT index suggests we are almost there.

The antiques trade, particularly the market for traditional antique furniture, has, by and large, been in the doldrums for a decade. It could now be turning the corner.

It could be a good place to put your money in a high inflation environment.

If you want some alternative areas for investment opportunities over a five-ten year period, I would recommend:

1) Early photographs (pre 1900) and related material.

2) Early English medals and trade tokens (some seventeenth century material is still very cheap)

3) Seventeenth and eighteenth century English ceramics and glass.

4) Stamps (thought the market has become very strong over the last few years)

5) Antiquarian books

6) Japanese antiques - market quite depressed and will probably come up again if Japan really turns the corner.

Other strong regional areas in the antiques trade (and likely to reamain strong) include Chinese, Russian and Indian material in most fields. Obviously with the economic rise in those countries they have seen native demand for their own antiques rocket - but it is probably not at full capacity.

Yes, I'll just pop down to my local car boot sale to buy some ye olde furniture.

Basically, those in the know have already invested in a safe haven and quite sensibly aren't sharing that information as if we all invested in the same manner, it would negate any gains.

In short, Joe Public is Mother Funcked!