House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

S M M T: Suv Sales Going Down

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/detail.h...ontents_id=6872

The cars that died of shame?

Manufacturing News, Source : TheManufacturer.com
Published : 17 Aug 2006 14:47
The Manufacturer has hit the headlines in just about every newspaper this week for suggestinjg much-criticised 4x4 vehicles are dying of shame. Here's what we said.
• Latest data analysed by The Manufacturer reveals that the backlash against powerful 4 x 4 and Sports Utility Vehicles, dubbed ‘Chelsea Tractors’, as a result of their popularity with middle-class families in affluent areas, is finally impacting sales.

Backlash or more people simply cannot afford them?

Edited by Realistbear

Guest donall

http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk/detail.h...ontents_id=6872

The cars that died of shame?

Manufacturing News, Source : TheManufacturer.com
Published : 17 Aug 2006 14:47
The Manufacturer has hit the headlines in just about every newspaper this week for suggestinjg much-criticised 4x4 vehicles are dying of shame. Here's what we said.
• Latest data analysed by The Manufacturer reveals that the backlash against powerful 4 x 4 and Sports Utility Vehicles, dubbed ‘Chelsea Tractors’, as a result of their popularity with middle-class families in affluent areas, is finally impacting sales.

Backlash or more people simply cannot afford them?

From what I have been reading - the decline in SUVs may be a backlach to the whole gas-guzzling society that we live in and people are now trying to live in a less engergy/petrol dependent manner. But i don't really believe that.

Affordability is probably the biggest issue - as all SUVs can be replaced by smaller cheaper cars.

One point to be made is that petrol prices have not really increased that much in the past 2-3 years - (I don't drive and don't know the prices exactly) when compared with the cost of say gas/elec./heating oil.

So the affordability issue may come from percieved running costs rather than actual running costs.

The report says that the numbers of SUVs sold has decreased over the last quarter - whether it is part of a longer term trend we'll have to wait and see

From what I have been reading - the decline in SUVs may be a backlach to the whole gas-guzzling society that we live in and people are now trying to live in a less engergy/petrol dependent manner. But i don't really believe that.

Affordability is probably the biggest issue - as all SUVs can be replaced by smaller cheaper cars.

One point to be made is that petrol prices have not really increased that much in the past 2-3 years - (I don't drive and don't know the prices exactly) when compared with the cost of say gas/elec./heating oil.

So the affordability issue may come from percieved running costs rather than actual running costs.

The report says that the numbers of SUVs sold has decreased over the last quarter - whether it is part of a longer term trend we'll have to wait and see

I agree. I take a very dim view of the human race, especially greedy, materialistic Brits. Of course it would be 'nice' to think that sales of SUVs have fallen because people are concerned about the environment and pollution- but I don't buy it at all. Sales are faling because they are expensive to buy and also to run. MEW is drying up which is the over-riding factor. The consumer is tightening his belt and SUVs are the first thing to go out. Simple as that.

Do you think that the type of person that would buy an SUV has just woken up to the affect that these have on the environment ? not a chance !!

shermanator is spot on -the middle classes are feeling the pinch as their BTLs are not producing any cash and they are MEWED up to the hilt in simple language they are scint. Now look at the broader picture "what is going to happen to other retail sectors"

Edited by faloos

I'm afraid that this news report is complete tosh. SUV sales have fallen marginally, but by less than all car sales. So, SUV sales have actually gone up in proportion. This from the channel 4 4car web site:

"However, the SMMT (Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders) dismissed the figures as 'insignificant', saying that SUV sales had fallen by only 0.1%, whereas the car market as a whole had dipped by 4.2% - meaning that SUVs actually now account for a higher proportion of new car sales than before. "

Much as I hate SUVs (or "FUVs" as I call them - as in "F - U!" which seems to be the attitude of their drivers), I hate to see stats used in such ridiculous ways to fit someone's agenda. It's simply not true.