House Price Crash Forum

The BBC is scapegoating boomers for all the problems of the world.

While I do find boomers annoying, I think our energies would be better

focused towards what has really caused these problems to arise.

Our inherently corrupt monetary/banking system.

The elites of the world want everyone fighting with each other,

immigrants against indigenous, old against young, men against women.

They seem to be largely succeeding.

And I'll second that point. It's an pychological aparteid. Or as the word means apart-ness.

The problem I have with 'Boomers' is that some of them recognise they have had advantages in the property market by being able to buy houses at lower prices but then criticise those who believe the housing market is overinflated and state they should save harder or accept the fact that the market has moved on and lower their standards.

Personally I find this insulting to all the hard workers who are struggling to get on the property ladder. I am on the property ladder but I know a great many people who work hard and are not. I am talking about A1's and not C1's or C2's. These people are in the main more highly qualified than their parents but are still not able to get on the property ladder due to the lack of a so called level playing field.

At a time when these people are ready to buy, they can not afford and are therefore saving which means they are not having children so who is going to fund the pensions crisis?

This situation is unfair and can not continue and those who think it is fair are the ones 40 - 45+ who have benefitted substantially and have a secure pension from the Government. For those struggling to get on the property ladder there will be no state handouts so they will have to fund their own pension as well as cope with significantly overpriced properties.

I believe that the hard working people trying to get on the property ladder now are as deserving as those who went before them so we should support them in their plight and not try to subjugate them.

Divide and conquer is the way of the powerful. However.

We've tried to tell the boomers it's all going wrong. We've tried to tell them that not only are GenX and Y getting screwed (their kids and grandkids!), but that the misallocation of resources will cause economic hardship in future and put their pension and retirement at risk. But they don't care. They've got theirs and are doing very well, and screw everyone else. They take the benefits while racking up debt, and then cut the benefits to the next gens while not paying a penny off. Just look at state pensions - retirement age raised for everyone after the boomers.

How long do we keep trying to tell them before we take action? Do we wait until they've partied until dawn, and had their fun and then agree with them when they say 'My what a mess, let's all pitch in together to clean up' when the night before when the booze was flowing freely they were telling the waiting staff that they should be grateful for the jobs they have and if they want to party all night then they should just work harder, or lower their expectations?

Boomers - it's obvious the whole thing is FUBAR. But you won't deal with it because it benefits you at the moment. But will you take responsibility when it all goes wrong? I doubt it.

We've tried to warn them, we've tried the 'let's do it all together'. But they're not listening - worse, they're giving us abuse for daring to question them. After all, no-one likes the nerd that takes away the punchbowl in the middle of a party, even if it has gone on too long and it's a work day tomorrow.

So when do we say 'They've had their chance. Time to look after ourselves and the generations after us, no matter the consequences to the boomers.'?

I think we're there.

Divide and conquer is the way of the powerful. However.

We've tried to tell the boomers it's all going wrong. We've tried to tell them that not only are GenX and Y getting screwed (their kids and grandkids!), but that the misallocation of resources will cause economic hardship in future and put their pension and retirement at risk. But they don't care. They've got theirs and are doing very well, and screw everyone else. They take the benefits while racking up debt, and then cut the benefits to the next gens while not paying a penny off. Just look at state pensions - retirement age raised for everyone after the boomers.

How long do we keep trying to tell them before we take action? Do we wait until they've partied until dawn, and had their fun and then agree with them when they say 'My what a mess, let's all pitch in together to clean up' when the night before when the booze was flowing freely they were telling the waiting staff that they should be grateful for the jobs they have and if they want to party all night then they should just work harder, or lower their expectations?

Boomers - it's obvious the whole thing is FUBAR. But you won't deal with it because it benefits you at the moment. But will you take responsibility when it all goes wrong? I doubt it.

We've tried to warn them, we've tried the 'let's do it all together'. But they're not listening - worse, they're giving us abuse for daring to question them. After all, no-one likes the nerd that takes away the punchbowl in the middle of a party, even if it has gone on too long and it's a work day tomorrow.

So when do we say 'They've had their chance. Time to look after ourselves and the generations after us, no matter the consequences to the boomers.'?

I think we're there.

What 1 practical thing would you like boomers to do?

When it comes time to sell up and move on, put their property on the market at a price that wont have me pissing myself with laughter at the fact they have the kahoonas to mark the price up so much...

#scoobydoo#

:ph34r:

Guest Shedfish

apparently i'm a boomer, what with being born in 64 (as opposed to many of my mates born in 65, who are not)

of course all boomers' life experiences were the same, and we all just blended into one rotting, golf-playing heap, to discuss kitchen extensions and portfolios

of course all the boomers are all the bloody same... like The Borg! not like my slightly younger mates though.

i've got 10 squillion houses, a fake lake on top of my evil genius lair and a helipad. people in colour coded overalls run around and do my bidding. i've stolen all the money and land in Sh!tsville, my slightly younger and demographically more erudite mates have not. obviously that's why i'm on here, house stalking and saving like a mad thing. my pension is worth f*ck all, and if i could find a way of stealing it back i would.

Broad Brush Corporation

f*cking 'isms. blagism flagism 2-jagism

isms schmisms :D

pub beckons...

Edited by Shedfish

have

80% of assets

60% of savings

40% of disposable income

interesting me thought!

......and the banks are looking to deplete them of some of it by inciting them to gear up on BTL,help their kids out with deposits etc.

...and the youngsters are getting maxed out on debt through student loans/trying to get on the ladder.

....really means that when the sh1t really hits the fan there will be so many people in debt the banks can truly enslave them.

...at least those with liquid assets,or wake up and realise how the game works, have the option for now of buggering off abroad.

Several things come to mind, but let's start with the most important:

Let's start with accepting the economic realities, rather than the fantasies. Let's start with the fact that house prices compared to salaries are at historic highs, and unlike a generation ago salaries are not rising faster than house prices or basic inflation. That the standard of living available to Gen X and Y is lower than for the boomers. That the last 25 years of economic policy has been tremendously beneficial to boomers, yet they have failed to save for their retirement, and that the debt based growth of the last decade or two has to be repaid in the future - a time in the future when the boomers wish to retire. Accept these facts, and stop trying to make the younger people feel inadequate, small, and stupid for daring to say the 'boomers had it easier with housing'.

Boomers should do the honourable thing, and volunteer to pay for their way and the debt they incurred. They should voluntarily raise their retirement age to match that they are forcing on the younger generations, and they should readily agree that state borne costs of their retirement beyond basic pension and medical needs should be paid from equity in their house (or profits from that sale). Of course, expecting either of these methods for boomers to pay down their own debts is pure fantasy.

...doesn't mean we have to does it?...we can think our way out of this.

as long as we can avoid being the victim of said fighting/competition for jobs etc etc we will do ok.

communal living and a job in MI5 is probably the way to go!!!!!

Several things come to mind, but let's start with the most important:

Let's start with accepting the economic realities, rather than the fantasies. Let's start with the fact that house prices compared to salaries are at historic highs,

So wind the clock back 10 years to 1996, when houses prices were very low. Were boomers totally different back then? Were they nice thoughtful people who had created cheap housing for the young?

And in 1974 ish, when prices were impossible, were the generation before the boomers the type of people you accuse boomers of being now?

Interesting concept

They should voluntarily raise their retirement age to match that they are forcing on the younger generations,

Many of my generation will/are doing just that already, out of economic necessity. How does that help your generation?

, and they should readily agree that state borne costs of their retirement beyond basic pension and medical needs should be paid from equity in their house (or profits from that sale). Of course, expecting either of these methods for boomers to pay down their own debts is pure fantasy.

Nursing home costs are already paid for from the proceeds of house sales.

So wind the clock back 10 years to 1996, when houses prices were very low. Were boomers totally different back then? Were they nice thoughtful people who had created cheap housing for the young?

And in 1974 ish, when prices were impossible, were the generation before the boomers the type of people you accuse boomers of being now?

Interesting concept

Many of my generation will/are doing just that already, out of economic necessity. How does that help your generation?

Nursing home costs are already paid for from the proceeds of house sales.

Take a look at the graph on the home page here http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/index.php . Look at 2006 and look at 1974, then go cry me a river. Shall we pull wage inflation, house inflation etc numbers too? Won't look good for you there either.

How does the boomer gen working longer help? Perhaps paying taxes to cover the debt they incurred, perhaps saving some money for their retirement rather than lumping the cost on me, because apparently you as a generation haven't been bothering to do that.

Take a look at the graph on the home page here http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/index.php . Look at 2006 and look at 1974, then go cry me a river. Shall we pull wage inflation, house inflation etc numbers too? Won't look good for you there either.

You can pull in interest rates and work out affordability - why do you think the percentage of owner occupation was so much lower then than it is now, if it was so much easier than it is now?

I'm sorry boomers, I'm all wrong about you, just read in this BBC article that you all saved the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4797243.stm

In their lives so far, boomers have brought about social and sexual revolutions; they helped roll back segregation laws in the 50s and 60s and played a decisive role in pushing through women's rights.

Wow, you guys are so amazing, you started these revolutions while still in primary school. I guess your parents weren't the ones to do all that after all. I take it all back.

How does the boomer gen working longer help? Perhaps paying taxes to cover the debt they incurred, perhaps saving some money for their retirement rather than lumping the cost on me, because apparently you as a generation haven't been bothering to do that.

My generation paid the pensions of the people before us, out of our taxes. Our higher rate tax payers paid a rate of 98%. The working class element of my generation, who tended not to go to University, paid the grants of the middle classes to go there. Do you think that was fairer than everyone paying their own fees? My generation dismantled that part of the class system, enabling people from any part of society to go onto further education.

You seem to hate my generation, Mad Jock. Is there anything personal you'd like to tell us? Do you have living parents?

Edited by Casual Observer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4797243.stm

Wow, you guys are so amazing, you started these revolutions while still in primary school. I guess your parents weren't the ones to do all that after all. I take it all back.

Thanks. We are pretty amazing. We started all this stuff in 1959, aged just 13.

My generation paid the pensions of the people before us, out of our taxes. Our higher rate tax payers paid a rate of 98%. The working class element of my generation, who tended not to go to University, paid the grants of the middle classes to go there. Do you think that was fairer than everyone paying their own fees? My generation dismantled that part of the class system, enabling people from any part of society to go onto further education.

You seem to hate my generation, Mad Jock. Is there anything personal you'd like to tell us? Do you have living parents?

Your generation did nothing of the sort. It was your parents generation that did that. The ones that fought a war, and came of age in the 40s and 50s who built the wealth you squandered before starting on the debt.

You paid the pensions of a smaller number of people, while going through massive wage inflation. It was those people who gave you your free education and built the infrastructure you used to make your money. Your generation, as a whole, has done nothing but sell off the family silver and run up debt, coasting on the gains of your parents. The house price boom is a sign of this - selling each other houses at inflated prices is not economic growth, it's a bubble. You care nothing for the legacy you leave to your children and grandchildren.

My parents were born pre-war - they're not boomers. They saved every penny they had, didn't run up debt, and provided themselves with a decent pension. They're the ones who built something, they didn't act like a plague of locusts.

I'm actually doing OK. I bought early, in 1995 aged 23, and still own that property, it's gone up a factor of 4 given what its identical neighbour sold for a few months ago. Both myself and my wife are in the top few % of wage earners in the US, I won't be in the poorhouse anytime soon. But, unlike you, I care what happens to the world around me, to the rest of my generation that have not been so lucky, and those that come after me. I'd rather that place had gone up with inflation and FTB could buy without becoming wage slaves, than get the 6 figure equity. I prefer a stable, fair system where everyone does well, not a few who make out like bandits at the expense of all others. I resent an old man who has partied all his life trying to sell me his clapped out car at 5x what he paid, telling me to shutup and be grateful for what I can get, just so he can keep partying because his CCs are at the limit.

If people like me are angry with you, just think how angry those that have nothing or have been conned into debt will be when they work out what's been going on.

Your generation did nothing of the sort. It was your parents generation that did that. The ones that fought a war, and came of age in the 40s and 50s who built the wealth you squandered before starting on the debt.

You paid the pensions of a smaller number of people, while going through massive wage inflation. It was those people who gave you your free education and built the infrastructure you used to make your money. Your generation, as a whole, has done nothing but sell off the family silver and run up debt, coasting on the gains of your parents. The house price boom is a sign of this - selling each other houses at inflated prices is not economic growth, it's a bubble. You care nothing for the legacy you leave to your children and grandchildren.

My parents were born pre-war - they're not boomers. They saved every penny they had, didn't run up debt, and provided themselves with a decent pension. They're the ones who built something, they didn't act like a plague of locusts.

I'm actually doing OK. I bought early, in 1995 aged 23, and still own that property, it's gone up a factor of 4 given what its identical neighbour sold for a few months ago. Both myself and my wife are in the top few % of wage earners in the US, I won't be in the poorhouse anytime soon. But, unlike you, I care what happens to the world around me, to the rest of my generation that have not been so lucky, and those that come after me. I'd rather that place had gone up with inflation and FTB could buy without becoming wage slaves, than get the 6 figure equity. I prefer a stable, fair system where everyone does well, not a few who make out like bandits at the expense of all others. I resent an old man who has partied all his life trying to sell me his clapped out car at 5x what he paid, telling me to shutup and be grateful for what I can get, just so he can keep partying because his CCs are at the limit.

If people like me are angry with you, just think how angry those that have nothing or have been conned into debt will be when they work out what's been going on.

:lol: Prat! You're only 18 years younger than me! You're almost middle-aged. Hardly a different generation. Careful - pretty soon the real youngsters will be blaming you and your generation.

You're even old enough to have benefitted from living in a period of cheap housing, 1995 - and you accuse boomers of making it hard for the next generation because their houses have inflated since they bought! How are you any different from what you accuse them of? Hypocrite.

Come to think of it, what's your generation ever done for the one above or the one below?

:lol: Prat! You're only 18 years younger than me! You're almost middle-aged. Hardly a different generation. Careful - pretty soon the real youngsters will be blaming you and your generation.

Come to think of it, what's your generation ever done for the one above or the one below?

Anywhere between 18 and 25 years is a full generation. You could drink legally and vote before I was born. Prat.

For the generation above, apparently we're taking on incredible debt to buy your houses and pay for your retirement at 65.

For the generation below, we've not had the chance - seeing as we are working so damned hard paying the mortgages. A generation doesn't start to get power until their mid 40s, and peaks as the generation is aged 45 to 65 or so. Exactly where the boomers are coming up to.

If we mess up the world as badly as you did when we're in charge, they'll have every right to blame us. Probably we'll have managed to get it back to the point where you inherited it.

Anywhere between 18 and 25 years is a full generation. You could drink legally and vote before I was born. Prat.

For the generation above, apparently we're taking on incredible debt to buy your houses and pay for your retirement at 65.

For the generation below, we've not had the chance - seeing as we are working so damned hard paying the mortgages. A generation doesn't start to get power until their mid 40s, and peaks as the generation is aged 45 to 65 or so. Exactly where the boomers are coming up to.

If we mess up the world as badly as you did when we're in charge, they'll have every right to blame us. Probably we'll have managed to get it back to the point where you inherited it.

But you're only 8 years past the Wilkipedia defined range:

A baby boomer is someone who was born during the period of increased birth rates when economic prosperity rose in many countries following World War II. In the United States, the term is iconic and more properly capitalized as Baby Boomers and commonly applied to people with birth years from the span 1946 to 1964

8 years outside the range! You're practically a baby boomer!! I can't believe you've started a one man vendetta against your own generation!

And you did the one big thing you accuse boomers of doing : Buying a house in a cheap period and watching it inflate! You lot - you expect the new generation to pay 4 times what you paid for it! :lol:

No. You expect the generation below you to pay 4 times what you paid for your house when you were young. I expect you want them to fund your pension that way, do you?

I'm actually doing OK. I bought early, in 1995 aged 23, and still own that property, it's gone up a factor of 4 given what its identical neighbour sold for a few months ago.

Tut. Typical boomer attitude. "I'm all right Jack, the younger generation will pay me 4 times what I paid for my house"

You've stuffed the next generation, haven't you?

Guest pioneer31

We've been through all this before CO. This must be the 3rd time that I've said it now on these boards - my father bought a 3 bedroom detached house off his own salary (x2.5) in the 60's. He was a teacher, so hardly a millionaire.

So, in todays money that would be circa £60k for a 3 bed detached. :lol::lol::lol:

I believe that the hard working people trying to get on the property ladder now are as deserving as those who went before them so we should support them in their plight and not try to subjugate them.

Well said Misfit.

We can't blame the boomers for taking advantage of the situation. The blame is with the Labour Government. They should be increasing taxes on second homes, BTL and 4x4s. They should change the planning system to eradicate NIMBYism. They should manage immigration. This might wipe the smile of the faces of the smug boomers (my parents included).