• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Ive entered a random figure of £32000 sole morgage - no other commitments

Comes back with i can borrow £140000 to £160000

Halifax affordability calculator

Is this not a morgage of over 5x salary - Fecking crazy - you would think with their bad debts they would start to reduce this figure!!

How much can you borrow??

Then when you go to the page - how much do i have to pay back...

They list either - repayment morgage or interest only morgage...(with no mention of having to have any other repayment vehicle until you click on the hyperlink!!)

Repayment calculator

Big difference between plugging numbers into a calculator on a website and actually trying to apply for the mortgage.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Big difference between plugging numbers into a calculator on a website and actually trying to apply for the mortgage.

Indeed - but at the rate of;

"5 year tracker Currently 12.99%. Tracks at 10.99% above Bank of England base rate (currently 2.00%) until 31/01/2014." Followed by;

"The standard variable rate, currently 4.75% for the remainder of the mortgage term.

The overall cost for comparison is 9.2% APR."

I don't think I'll be troubling their staff to apply anytime soon.

Offered me a multiple of 4.25 single salary, with the fragrant Mrs B and four dependent Little B's....

So, bearing in mind that's presumably "optimistic," to drag me in for it to be pared down, I reckon full-on crash speed is still on, if not accelerating into 2009.

C**t Gordon - go f**k yourself buddy - looks like you've well and truly shot your load to no effect.

B

(I wonder how long we have to wait for Damp Squibbley, to pitch in the "the bloke in my office who's just completed ten new BTL's, on 125% self-certs, and didn't tell the lender they're BTL so it's, like, well-affordable you losers...") :lol::lol:

HOLA445

Offered me £315,000 which is around 4.5 joint income.

But more interestingly it didn't seem to have a problem with a 90% mortgage, I fiddled with figures and it did complain about anything over 90% so would suggest it doesn't just accept any old figure.

I don't have any debt, but I started to add a few credit cards on and the figure started to drop significantly.

Edited by gilf

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
They appear to have changed their multiples.

Lucky me - they'd be prepared to saddle me with £520000 worth of debt!!!

Erm - No thanks Halifax.

Looks like they'd give me £900,000. Do the maths people.

Yes that's right. And I drive a 4x4

HOLA449

They're going to wonder why there's suddenly so much interest in mortgages today!

£160k for me.

Just think, I could have my own leasehold flat that I don't really own, which is falling in value by more each month than it would cost to rent, costing me a fortune in repairs and dodgy maintenance charges and not be able to afford the mortgage as soon as interest rates go up again.

It's seriously tempting I have to say.

Smith

HOLA4410

Anyone else asked to do survey afterwards?

Response to overall opinion question:

"You affordability ratios are well too high. I mean have you noticed that you lost lots of money on bad mortgage debt? Also when you fill in the affordability calculator and then then the repayment calculator, the mortgage required becomes the amount generated affotdability calculator. This clearly encourages people to try to take out as big a mortgage as they can 'afford'. This is irresponsible."

HOLA4411
Anyone else asked to do survey afterwards?

Response to overall opinion question:

"You affordability ratios are well too high. I mean have you noticed that you lost lots of money on bad mortgage debt? Also when you fill in the affordability calculator and then then the repayment calculator, the mortgage required becomes the amount generated affotdability calculator. This clearly encourages people to try to take out as big a mortgage as they can 'afford'. This is irresponsible."

Offered 300K :blink: 4.5 times joint income :blink:

Having said that the actual offers were insane

7.19% fixed rate

or variable at 10% above base rate :o:o:o

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I bet these mortgage 'how much can I borrow' calculators are left showing high multiples, as this would encourage those who would buy but can't really afford it to still think it's an option to them.

I have a friend, who still thinks he can get as large a mortgage as he would like....

HOLA4416

Why is there an obsession with 3.5x income loans? And so much outrage at 4.5? take an example of someone earning £45k. Take home is around £2500 pcm after tax, pension etc are taken out (going for ballpark figures here). A 3.5x mortgage of £157,500 will cost just over £920 pcm, leaving £1580 to spend on whatever frivilities they please (assuming 5% interest, which seems close to long-term averages)

At the same time, a 4.5x mortgage, as offered here, of £202,500 will cost £1180 PCM, leaving £1320 to spend - a difference of £260 a month, or just over 10% of take home pay.

why is this unreasonable? Of course it can, under certain circumstances, be unaffordable, but so can 3.5x. If a house was up for rent at £950 pcm, you wouldn't force people to earn over 45k before they can rent it, so why with mortgages? Taking where I live as an example, the cheapest 2 bed flats rent for around £700pcm, yet using these rules, someone on minimum wage (lets say one person working out of a couple, with a kid) should only be allowed to spend (based on 12k income) £245 pcm on housing. Where are they going to live?

HOLA4417
Why is there an obsession with 3.5x income loans? And so much outrage at 4.5? take an example of someone earning £45k. Take home is around £2500 pcm after tax, pension etc are taken out (going for ballpark figures here). A 3.5x mortgage of £157,500 will cost just over £920 pcm, leaving £1580 to spend on whatever frivilities they please (assuming 5% interest, which seems close to long-term averages)

At the same time, a 4.5x mortgage, as offered here, of £202,500 will cost £1180 PCM, leaving £1320 to spend - a difference of £260 a month, or just over 10% of take home pay.

why is this unreasonable? Of course it can, under certain circumstances, be unaffordable, but so can 3.5x. If a house was up for rent at £950 pcm, you wouldn't force people to earn over 45k before they can rent it, so why with mortgages? Taking where I live as an example, the cheapest 2 bed flats rent for around £700pcm, yet using these rules, someone on minimum wage (lets say one person working out of a couple, with a kid) should only be allowed to spend (based on 12k income) £245 pcm on housing. Where are they going to live?

The vast sums mean greater sensitivity to interest rate changes.

I could borrow about 45% of net pay, which is insane, considering we have the lowest interest rate in history, which will no dounbt go up within the first few years of the mortgage.

And to top it all off, the recommended deal has a really batty name:

4 year fixed

Carbon Offset

6.32% fixed until 30/04/2013

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

4.5 times joint income.

Cited a two yr fix for about 4.84 % (£1999 arrangement fee), or a 3 yr fix for a little bit higher interest, but still less than 5%. It said something about these interest rate only being available for loans over 500k.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Earning £7,500 with no credit commitments, no dependents, it offered me £28,400 for a 25 year repayment mortgage.

So I filled in the next bit:

Buy a £50k house, 25 years, repayment, fixed rate, no fees, initial offer period more than 5 years.

Ooops - no products met that criteria.

Buy a £50k house, 25 years, repayment, fixed rate, with fees, initial offer period less than 5 years.

About 5-6 products matched

Cheapest was: 2 year fixed 4.19% fixed until 30/04/2011. (£152.39/month)

Product Fee: £1995

Edited by ScaredEitherWay

HOLA4425
Why is there an obsession with 3.5x income loans?

why is this unreasonable? Of course it can, under certain circumstances

Because when interest rates go up, as they will do, the repayment will increase massively. 4.5 times at 5% isn't bad. 4.5 times at 7% might well be. Don't you remember the outcry in the papers only a few months ago when something like 1.4m people were going to struggle to make repayments because interest rates were a miserable 1.25% higher than when they had taken them out?