House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
faloos

Our Countries Resources

My wife is an English teacher/advisor . Her job is to test the level of english of people coming into the country for whatever reason ie immigrants , people on work contracts basically everyone. When an immigrant child is found to have a very low level of english then the state gives that child exra English at a cost to the taxpayer. This is only one area that is putting a severe strain on our budget and resources in this country.

You try and get extra help for your child and I know what the answer is . When we worked abroad I had to pay for education and any extra help my daughter needed at School.

Add this problem to the HIV epidemic caused partly by immigrants that are not even tested before they are allowed into this country and you have an overload situation on our system.

The real cost of this labour experiment is yet to be felt. and if its Somalis coming here then you would be cheaper to train a monkey (Fawlty towers remark on Manuel )

Back to my drink as I need it !!

My wife is an English teacher/advisor . Her job is to test the level of english of people coming into the country for whatever reason ie immigrants , people on work contracts basically everyone. When an immigrant child is found to have a very low level of english then the state gives that child exra English at a cost to the taxpayer. This is only one area that is putting a severe strain on our budget and resources in this country.

You try and get extra help for your child and I know what the answer is . When we worked abroad I had to pay for education and any extra help my daughter needed at School.

Add this problem to the HIV epidemic caused partly by immigrants that are not even tested before they are allowed into this country and you have an overload situation on our system.

The real cost of this labour experiment is yet to be felt. and if its Somalis coming here then you would be cheaper to train a monkey (Fawlty towers remark on Manuel )

Back to my drink as I need it !!

To be fair, I'm happy for them to be taught extra english. It's the immigrants that settled, or should I say failed to settle 20-30 years ago that still barely speak a word of english that get my goat.

Take your point. However while we spend huge amounts on these services for immigrants and in some areas our own people are given second class treatment. Happens in no other country but our own. They could pay a tax supplement and that would be good for them as they could say they were contributing to the extra costs involved , ie helping towards the costs of health treatment for the large families that they have because of their culture .

Edited by faloos

Take your point. However while we spend huge amounts on these services for immigrants and in some areas our own people are given second class treatment. Happens in no other country but our own. They could pay a tax supplement and that would be good for them as they could say they were contributing to the extra costs involved , ie helping towards the costs of health treatment for the large families that they have because of their culture .

Sorry, but much as I don't like mass immigration a tax on that group just won't fly - they have bugger all money anyway, so you'll be taxing a % of zero.

When someone is in the country and the kids are in school, I think it's great that they take the child out to teach them English. The altternatives are to a) let the child sit in class and not learn anything, likely becoming a troublemaker and unemployed burden to society as an adult or B) exclude them from school, with even worse results. You could of course teach bilingual classes as they do here in CA, but that experiment has worked out well. Not.

Mass uncontrolled immigration does increase GDP and growth in a country, however it seems to skew the growth more to the benefit of the very rich (few) at the expense of those in the middle (many). I don't buy the 'natives won't do the crap jobs' line - natives will do any job if it's paid well enough, or even just paid a living wage.

A significant problem of the mass immigration is that it allows employers to skip investing in equipment, training, and other productivity improvements because profit can always be increased by reducing costs as opposed to improving output. The 'easy path' hurts in the long run - look at the highly skilled highly paid German manufacturers and compare to Britain or the USA now getting creamed by cheap Chinese labour. Those same Germans were lambasted in the 80s and 90s for their outmoded, expensive, way of doing business.

This is a well known economic effect, whose name slips my mind just now - where those nations with access to plentiful resources (e.g. oil) or v.cheap labour actually are less productive than countries with less, simply because they get lazy and innefficient.

To be fair, I'm happy for them to be taught extra english. It's the immigrants that settled, or should I say failed to settle 20-30 years ago that still barely speak a word of english that get my goat.

The immigrants from 30 years ago were needed and contributed immensely to this economy without them the economic circumstance and power of this country would be very much more compromised than it is now. They came here to work and make a better life for themselves not scrounge and scrape and freeload like a hell of a lot of layabout immigrants are doing now.

Think before you speak - my mother was one of those first immigrants to the UK and still does not have a great grasp of the language, however the contribution she gave and is still giving to this economy is unquestionable and unchallengeable period.

This is a well known economic effect, whose name slips my mind just now - where those nations with access to plentiful resources (e.g. oil) or v.cheap labour actually are less productive than countries with less, simply because they get lazy and innefficient.

Agree 100%.

Look at the trend breakers - the likes of Japan and to a certain extent Germany.

Neither now has galloping asset inflation, what they do have is the money that is being diverted into non-productive assets here and in the US being put into new technology, robotics and automation - that way you can compete even with huge wage differentials.

It is convenient to shut down manufacturing and research in the UK/US, the sites can be sold off for redevelopment, the staff canned and production moved, it is also easy to do with little legal obstacles.

The Irish have done remarkably well, but even there it is beginning to hit - their 10% corporation tax (IIRC) made it advantageous to stick around for longer.

Importing cheap labour is a piss-poor alternative to invesment and one that in many cases is counter-productive, leading to hiogher costs elsewhere in the system, skewed labour mobility, skewed use of resouces such as housing and labour troubles, congestion, planning problems, energy problems, you name it if it isn;t propoerly planned for in advance.

The immigrants from 30 years ago were needed and contributed immensely to this economy without them the economic circumstance and power of this country would be very much more compromised than it is now. They came here to work and make a better life for themselves not scrounge and scrape and freeload like a hell of a lot of layabout immigrants are doing now.

Think before you speak - my mother was one of those first immigrants to the UK and still does not have a great grasp of the language, however the contribution she gave and is still giving to this economy is unquestionable and unchallengeable period.

I did think before I spoke. In no way am I suggesting all that came 30 years ago are benefit scroungers that can't speak a word of english. I insinuated that SOME have done that.

How anyone can live in a country for 30 + years and barely speak the native toungue is beyond me. It's disgraceful. I include Brits abroad in that too.

Get the chip off your shoulder.

Edited by Jimothy