House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Disposable Heroes

How To Spot A Product At The End Of It's Life Cycle...

Guest DisposableHeroes

Any other reason why house prices should end their financial product life cycle...

1. It becomes boring, sentiment goes.

Media get behind turning sentiment as a result of house price devaluations.

2. Something else replaces it which does the job better.

Stock Market returns to favour.

3. Over supply.

Currently not enough houses being built.

4. Event makes the product ineffective.

Government make legislation to stop profiteering out of housing necessity.

Interest rates rise as a result of inflation.

Any other reason why house prices should end their financial product life cycle...

1. It becomes boring, sentiment goes.

Media get behind turning sentiment as a result of house price devaluations.

3. Over supply.

Currently not enough houses being built.

4. Event makes the product ineffective.

Government make legislation to stop profiteering out of housing necessity.

Interest rates rise as a result of inflation.

Surely you mean under-supply?

Surely you mean under-supply?

A few days ago I went to part of town that I hadn't visited for months, since some property developer knocked down the Chinese takeway. Used to have shops, takeaways, houses, etc like a real town... now there's just the police station, fire station and blocks of 'executive apartments' as far as the eyes can see.

Hardly what I'd call an 'under-supply' of housing.

A few days ago I went to part of town that I hadn't visited for months, since some property developer knocked down the Chinese takeway. Used to have shops, takeaways, houses, etc like a real town... now there's just the police station, fire station and blocks of 'executive apartments' as far as the eyes can see.

An 'executive apartment' is hardly what I'd call housing... Can't see many families wanting to bring up three kids in one of those!

Guest Bart of Darkness

An 'executive apartment' is hardly what I'd call housing... Can't see many families wanting to bring up three kids in one of those!

This article might be of interest.

Despite unprecedented enthusiasm among developers for building flats, buyers rather inconveniently continue to prefer houses. Over the past three years, developers have put up more apartments than detached homes. But many flats remain empty and unsold while buyers compete for a small pool of houses. Figures from the Halifax indicate that the price of a new flat fell by almost 5 per cent over the past year while the cost of a semi-detached house rose by nearly 6 per cent.

yeah, something very similar has happened to a large N Yorkshire village I used to spend a lot of time in. Schools, garages, shops, theatre, petrol station... all gone. Replaced with fairly uninspiring new housing.

Unfortunately the Stock Market has had its run at the same time as HPI, and with the economic fallout to come, the Stock Market is fairly unlikely to return to favour in a way that would suddenly give it that mass population appeal. Higher interest rates could bring the Bonds market back to life, but again its never been very 'sexy' and is hard to see general public getting excited about it. Seems like theres a 'gap in the market'. Maybe I could make my forture if I can come up with something to fill it! :unsure::lol:

AFP

An 'executive apartment' is hardly what I'd call housing...

But they largely seem to be what BTLs are buying... and what a single person on a low wage might have bought in the past.

But they largely seem to be what BTLs are buying... and what a single person on a low wage might have bought in the past.

Now a single person on any wage can buy ****** all..... :angry:

This "ladder" thing is crumbling by the day

Guest DisposableHeroes

I guess I here reports keep telling me not enough housing is being built, but like other people here I see poxy flats and paper thin two beds springing up everywhere. Old houses have large rooms a good garden, new build the reverse. I can see in the future a mass of housing estates people don't want to live in.