House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Retail Sales Figures Just Released

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com//17082006/140/surp...reet-sales.html

Thursday August 17, 10:22 AM
Surprise Fall In High Street Sales
Retail sales in British shops unexpectedly fell in July for the first time in six months and it could defuse calls for further increases in interest rates. The Office for National Statistics said sales
volumes fell by 0.3% last month compared with expectations of a rise of 0.2%.
June's rise was also revised lower to 0.7% from an initially reported 0.9%.

Sheeple running out of credit? :)

Retail sales in British shops unexpectedly fell in July for the first time in six months and it could defuse calls for further increases in interest rates. The Office for National Statistics said sales

I've been saying to anyone who'll listen - we are in a retail recession which began in autumn 2004. This latest upturn since March was merely a blip on a severe downward trend.

For anyone who doesn't believe me, just go to your local mall or high st. Not exactly buoyant is it? (Apart from Primark and M&S). Never mind about the reduced footfall, look at the bags people are carrying.

It looks like a recession and smells like a recession so it is a ............. :D

I've been saying to anyone who'll listen - we are in a retail recession which began in autumn 2004. This latest upturn since March was merely a blip on a severe downward trend.

For anyone who doesn't believe me, just go to your local mall or high st. Not exactly buoyant is it? (Apart from Primark and M&S). Never mind about the reduced footfall, look at the bags people are carrying.

It looks like a recession and smells like a recession so it is a ............. :D

Indeed. I was walking around Guildford High Street yesterday and just about every shop other than M & S had 70-75% sales. Perpetual it seems. Even the upscale shops like Talbots, Lakeland, Jaeger were emblazoned with hideously large "SALE" posters. Most of the shops were empty as well. The other thing I noted, and this is going on in my home area in the W Midlands, a LOT of charity shops popping up and they were packed out with people.

The times, they are a changin. :o

Edited by Realistbear

I love it how the media pretend to be giving us the unpleasant facts dead straight. They are just trying to get the message out to leave interest rates alone as if 0.25% is enough to curb spending. What they are failing to "dwell on" is the announced energy cost increases today (+9% electricity, +18% gas) and the implications on cost of living for ALL not just shoppers cutting back. IRs need to go to at least 6% to prevent a loss of quality of life for our most vulnerable- particularly with winter and big heating bills on the horizon.

I love it how the media pretend to be giving us the unpleasant facts dead straight. They are just trying to get the message out to leave interest rates alone as if 0.25% is enough to curb spending. What they are failing to "dwell on" is the announced energy cost increases today (+9% electricity, +18% gas) and the implications on cost of living for ALL not just shoppers cutting back. IRs need to go to at least 6% to prevent a loss of quality of life for our most vulnerable- particularly with winter and big heating bills on the horizon.

With Uncle Vladimir Illyich Putin seeking to control Europe's gas supplies we might get another surprise bump up about November due to "shortages" etc.

The way the economy is headed we won't need any further IR hikes because we will be in the early stages of a long and deep recession. The US is leading the way and I think most of us are hearing the sneezing coming from out West.

Mixed picture in Brighton, two large snow/surf shops are closing down... but round the corner an oyster and champagne bar has opened. FFS.

Oh dear. I've noticed quite a few of these champagne and oyster bars springing up. Isn't this what happened at the very tail end of the 80s boom; you know, Del Boy with his filofax falling over in a trendy wine bar? I think we're nearing the end.

I'm surprised that a surf shop is closing in Brighton. It's always seemed the kind of place that could support such a venture, unless they couldn't pay the rent, rates, utilities, staff etc. :o

I'm surprised that a surf shop is closing in Brighton. It's always seemed the kind of place that could support such a venture, unless they couldn't pay the rent, rates, utilities, staff etc. :o

Why? - Youve got about as much chance of doing descent surfing in Brighton as Basingstoke

Why? - Youve got about as much chance of doing descent surfing in Brighton as Basingstoke

I know nothing about surfing, JP1. I just thought that many Brighton residents, trendy middle class urbanites would be into that whole surfing lifestyle. There are surf shops in the West End and I don't think the surf's great there :lol:

Who on earth would go out to drink Champagne and eat Oysters?

I must live on a different planet. Does anyone actually like Champagne or is it just drunk because people think it makes them seem sophisticated?

I can understand eating Oysters as part of a meal, not that I've ever been tempted to try them myself. Why though, would you eat them in a bar?

I'll stick to my pint of Real Ale @ £1.40/pint and a bag of cheese flavoured moments thanks. :-)

Who on earth would go out to drink Champagne and eat Oysters?

I must live on a different planet. Does anyone actually like Champagne or is it just drunk because people think it makes them seem sophisticated?

I can understand eating Oysters as part of a meal, not that I've ever been tempted to try them myself. Why though, would you eat them in a bar?

I'll stick to my pint of Real Ale @ £1.40/pint and a bag of cheese flavoured moments thanks. :-)

Absolutely right.

London is awash with champagne and cocaine. Any chance of a police raid on the offices of city traders and advertising folk? Some hope.

These Champagne bars will have gone bust in under 2 years, if that. Now where's my filofax?

Absolutely right.

London is awash with champagne and cocaine. Any chance of a police raid on the offices of city traders and advertising folk? Some hope.

These Champagne bars will have gone bust in under 2 years, if that. Now where's my filofax?

Nothing wrong with a bit of chang and a drink.

Jeez, where do you live?

Bradford - but don't hold that against me. I've tried to escape but got re-captured.

Not kidding about the price of a pint of Ale either. Lovely real ale for real people.