House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Don't Surf

A - Level Results

I was going to post a couple of days ago to predict the best ever A Level results but I forgot. Anyway, suprise suprise for the 24th consecutive year they are up again. What a joke! Apparently the A grade rate is now at 25%.

Much as I'd love to think our teachers and our kids were getting better I have a sneaking suspicion that the couse may be elsewhere. Apparently the exams have not got any easier. So, it must be in the marking!

Call me cynical but, it all seems part of a calculated plan to get more kids into university as this is no longer about education but an industry

Meanwhile in India and China........

I was going to post a couple of days ago to predict the best ever A Level results but I forgot. Anyway, suprise suprise for the 24th consecutive year they are up again. What a joke! Apparently the A grade rate is now at 25%.

Much as I'd love to think our teachers and our kids were getting better I have a sneaking suspicion that the couse may be elsewhere. Apparently the exams have not got any easier. So, it must be in the marking!

Call me cynical but, it all seems part of a calculated plan to get more kids into university as this is no longer about education but an industry

governments dont want 'class' divisions within society it does them no good - social issues etc. arise as a result of educational inequality, and they have to pick up the pieces

Edited by Milkshock

More inflation!

(the devaluing of A-levels with the continuous printing of A grade certificates. Are kids nowadays more intelligent than 10/20/30 years ago? Employers and universities don't seem to think so)

I agree.

And I liked the way there was a big fuss about the 'noose' image on the online results page.

Like suicide is likely given that practically everyone has passed, and uni places are kinda abundant!

BBC had a group of Students all opening up there results this morning, and each one had straight A's, some in 4 or more subjects.

One girl who had 4 A's, said that no way standards were dropping. Then went on to say she was going to Nottingham Uni. No offence Nottingham, but in my day, a 4 A student would have been going somewhere far more prestigious.

3 grand a year for fees, in a few years all the classrooms with be full of Baby Boomers. Another capitalist mess.

They just had some woman from the exam board explaining that the exams had not in fact got easier. The higher pass rate was due to a 'number of factors'! Obviously when I did mine we were all a bunch of workshy fops!

Wonder if they'll have to go for an A* grade next like they have with GCSE's. Reminds me of the Spinal Tap scene with the amp that goes up to 11. "Why don't they just make 10 louder? No this one goes up to 11!"

I wonder if grades would be improving if the universities weren't financially independent.

As an employer I regard most degrees as worse than a waste of time. Unless the degree is in hardcore science/engineering don't bother, go see the World instead!

Edited by surfgatinho

Guest Alright Jack

if the same increase is seen each year for the next five ..

..then it will reach a 100% pass rate, nice ;))

And five years after that, you'll be getting certificates for exams you never even sat!

"More Inflation" - I agree. It is exactly the same thing. Those who worked their butts off ten years ago to obtain A levels and a degree have been robbed of their 'purchasing power' in every respect. From pay bargaining, from obtaining job interviews and indeed on closing a position. The pandemic story of theft and 'easy come easy go' is corrupting moral values. Hyperinflation is occuring in more than currency.

Employers now make their own tests because they cannot trust the paper being printed by the universities and colleges.

Guest mattsta1964

More inflation!

(the devaluing of A-levels with the continuous printing of A grade certificates. Are kids nowadays more intelligent than 10/20/30 years ago? Employers and universities don't seem to think so)

More creative accounting.

The 'nobody's a failure' society. Pathetic

I did my A-Levels in 1993.

Even in them days, we only used past-papers from the previous 2/3 years. Any further back than that and they were too hard to be useful.

We looked at a Physics paper from 8-10 years previous and it looked like Rocket Science to us.

Clearly that trend has increased in the 13 years since then.

BBC had a group of Students all opening up there results this morning

:lol::lol::lol: You might watch your spelling in a post that complains about falling standards.

I tell you in my day posts on this forum were more intelligent. :lol:

I wonder if grades would be improving if the universities weren't financially independent.

I am not sure I understand this comment. Could you expand a bit? Thanks!

I am not sure I understand this comment. Could you expand a bit? Thanks!

From what I understand, particularly with the "new" universities, in a lot of cases, if you can afford the fees, you're in.

One of the "factors" which they always attribute higher grades to is better teaching.

But as a number of my friends who are now teachers have told me, teaching that produces better grades does not necessarily result in more educated students.

There is so much "teaching to the exam paper" now, and so much pressure on teachers to produce the grades, that they complain they have no freedom to actually teach substance or interesting material unless it will definitely clock up an extra point on the exam.

This trend has been worsened by the continual fragmentation of exam papers into smaller and smaller chunks, as it makes the required answers much more prescribed and easier to spot, not requiring some of the thought that went into writing longer answers or essays.

Guest Alright Jack

:lol::lol::lol: You might watch your spelling in a post that complains about falling standards.

I tell you in my day posts on this forum were more intelligent. :lol:

Funny though that was, it isn't really relevant. Some learn to spell well others don't. It doesn't say anything about abilities in other areas.

(I have to admit, not knowing how to use there, their and they're is pretty poor and normally consistant with single digit IQ)

From what I understand, particularly with the "new" universities, in a lot of cases, if you can afford the fees, you're in.

Thanks for the answer. I now understand the comment though I am not sure it's true...

Funny though that was, it isn't really relevant. Some learn to spell well others don't. It doesn't say anything about abilities in other areas.

(I have to admit, not knowing how to use there, their and they're is pretty poor and normally consistant with single digit IQ)

I was about to rise to that, but then I noticed you are a troll. Ho hum.

You almost had me their :D

Edited by Landagan

My mind goes back to the young teacher on 'The Weakest Link' last year who when asked the 50th state of the USA replied "Canada". I was watching at the time.

I bet she got four A grades at A level.

Seems that education now is geared to produce 'grade machines', not rounded young people with an all-round general knowledge and awareness.

I took Cambridge syllabus Maths in the early 1980s, it would be interesting to see how a contemporary 'straight A' A level student would get on with it. 25% gaining A grade seems ridiculous. I can't believe that young people work that much harder these days than we did when I were a lad; especially when you read of university entrants needing remedial classes which doesn't seem to fit with the view that standards are not dropping.

My mind goes back to the young teacher on 'The Weakest Link' last year who when asked the 50th state of the USA replied "Canada". I was watching at the time.

I bet she got four A grades at A level.

What a completely ludicrous leap of logic.

With a brain like yours it's no surprise that you're an idiot.

What a completely ludicrous leap of logic.

With a brain like yours it's no surprise that you're an idiot.

I think that is called sarcasm Ingnorant Steve.

Forget HPI

We now have AGI (A-Level Grade Inflation)

Why not invest in an A-level right now before you miss the boat - buy a B-grade today and then upgrade to an A-grade at a profit.

First-time A-level candidates better get in quick while they have the chance - otherwise they will not have enough money to bribe the examiners.

I agree.

And I liked the way there was a big fuss about the 'noose' image on the online results page.

Like suicide is likely given that practically everyone has passed, and uni places are kinda abundant!

BBC had a group of Students all opening up there results this morning, and each one had straight A's, some in 4 or more subjects.

One girl who had 4 A's, said that no way standards were dropping. Then went on to say she was going to Nottingham Uni. No offence Nottingham, but in my day, a 4 A student would have been going somewhere far more prestigious.

3 grand a year for fees, in a few years all the classrooms with be full of Baby Boomers. Another capitalist mess.

When I went to Oxford, I only had to get 2 Es to get in, so standards are definitely improving. ;-)

A-Levels haven't been taken seriously for a while. That's why they ignored the A-level results and did their own tests for as long as they could get away with it.

I studied history. My tutor got a B at A-Level history, I got a C. He went on to get the second-highest first. I... didn't.

Edited by the_duke_of_hazzard

I feel sorry for the blighters. Told lies from day one about needing to get the best grades in order to get to Uni where upon graduation they will earn a fortune and live happily ever after.

I wish I'd not listened.

I'd advise the vast majority of those getting their grades today to go out and find a job (after enjoying the moment of course). The pay will more than likely be a joke, but it's a start. The experience they will learn from that will be far more important and influencial than anything they will "learn" at Uni and unless they are morons, they won't be in debt.

Edited by Jimothy

I feel sorry for the blighters. Told lies from day one about needing to get the best grades in order to get to Uni where upon graduation they will earn a fortune and live happily ever after.

I wish I'd not listened. I

'd advise the vast majority of those getting their grades today to go out and find a job (after enjoying the moment of course). The pay will more than likely be a joke, but it's a start. The experience they will learn from that will be far more important and influencial than anything they will "learn" at Uni and unless they are morons, they won't be in debt.

I second that. I wish I'd had a year out and worked as a temp before my degree instead of after. It would've given me a completely different perspective on the whole thing.