Jobless Total Jumps To Highest Level For Six Years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../njobless17.xml

Jobless total jumps to highest level for six years

By Edmund Conway and Mahmoud Shukri

(Filed: 17/08/2006)

Unemployment has soared to its
highest level for six years
. Britain is now the
only major economy in the West where the number of people out of work is rising,
according to figures released by the Government yesterday.
The news will come as a disappointment to Gordon Brown, the Chancellor, who boasted at the last election that he had brought unemployment down to new lows.
Some 1.68 million people were out of work in the three months to June - a quarter of a million more than a year ago - according to the Office for National Statistics.
It means that 5.5 per cent of the working age population are unemployed. The increase in jobless is the fastest for more than a decade. Experts warned that with more people entitled to jobseekers' benefits the demands on the public purse would jump, making it more difficult for the Chancellor to make ends meet.

Gordon will no doubt spin the news by claiming, yes, but, we have the highest house prices in the West which offsets the need for jobs. MEW as a substitute for production! The very essense of the Miracle Economy--wealth from borrowing.

Or, as is more likely, he will claim that in past history the Tories were in power when many more were out of work and Herbert Hoover was president in the US when the 1929 crash occured, blah blah blither, och, the noo.

Scotland is apparently showing some of the most sparkling HPI figures.

Not only is Scotland's unemployment rate rising, but unlike some areas, their overall employment rate is dropping also!

Meanwhile their companies are folding - another glass manuf/outlet has gone today and another electronics manufacturing plant which was bought up recently is being packed up and shipped off.

Beggars belief, it really does.

This is no miracle economy, this is destruction of the economy on a huge scale by a govt and its puppet money men.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4797737.stm

Rise in Scots unemployment total

There has been a rise in Scotland's unemployment total

Unemployment in Scotland has risen by 3,000 between April and June, according to statistics.

Figures from the International Labour Office show the unemployment figure rose to 142,000 or 5.5%.

The figures also indicate that there were about 10,000 fewer people in work compared to the previous quarter.

Unemployment trend, a new one being set.

12.gif

aye, but will it matter when the 'terror alet' reaches an even more critical level and the government are 'forced' to put the military on the streets in order to 'protect our liberty'? according to john reid, this is the most dangerous time in the history of western civilisation, you know! (apart from those limited skirmishes in the first half of the century of course...)

as long as the great and good reside in their bricks and mortar bank vaults we won't have to worry about going out to work! :ph34r:

The rise in unemployment has come more from a reduction in the number of economically inactive people, rather than a fall in employment. Employment over the year has only fallen by 0.2%.

Meanwhile their companies are folding - another glass manuf/outlet has gone today and another electronics manufacturing plant which was bought up recently is being packed up and shipped off.

What do you expect the government to do about that? If you were a businessman and had the choice of paying factory operatives £1 an hour in China or £7 an hour in the UK for example, what would you do?

The rise in unemployment has come more from a reduction in the number of economically inactive people, rather than a fall in employment. Employment over the year has only fallen by 0.2%.

What do you expect the government to do about that? If you were a businessman and had the choice of paying factory operatives £1 an hour in China or £7 an hour in the UK for example, what would you do?

I am afraid you are right. IN a global economy you compete or you die. We are dying.

I'd try and stop costs rising, ie like controlling inflation, the policies of late have had an entirely opposite effect and inflation has been ignored.

There always have been large wage differentials - it costs a lot to shift production, shut down sites and move them and it is risky. The risk balance has been shifted to popping point where it becomes a no-brainer to shutdown, lay off and sell of the site for brownfield. Then there is the red tape, dreadful planning system which even prevents highly profitable companies expanding when they want to (you have to go with economies of scale in a global marketplace)

A lot of the problems are entirely self-created.

The train has just started to move on this subject , once it gathers momentum it will be diificult to stop. Gordon expected to be in No 10 when this all hit the fan but he is stuck next door to face the music. It is going to be fun especially as he is over his borrowing requirment to date so he cant do anything but put up taxes , guess what that will do ?

Scotland is apparently showing some of the most sparkling HPI figures.

Not only is Scotland's unemployment rate rising, but unlike some areas, their overall employment rate is dropping also!

Beggars belief, it really does.

This is no miracle economy, this is destruction of the economy on a huge scale by a govt and its puppet money men.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4797737.stm

Rise in Scots unemployment total

There has been a rise in Scotland's unemployment total

Unemployment in Scotland has risen by 3,000 between April and June, according to statistics.

Figures from the International Labour Office show the unemployment figure rose to 142,000 or 5.5%.

The figures also indicate that there were about 10,000 fewer people in work compared to the previous quarter.

Unemployment trend, a new one being set.

12.gif

I am a Scot but dont expect me to criticise you as you are only speaking the truth. I was up seeing friends to Edin and had alook in the Situation Vacs , all the jobs available were Social work , council project leaders, care assistants. The country has had an exploion of government jobs ie public funded.

My old country will collapse on a scale like Ireland .

Edited by faloos

HPI may prove to be our undoing. With unafforable housing people have to earn more and the more they are paid the less competitive our goods are overseas.

IMO, with 70% of our economy based on housing related spending our time as a wealthy nation is limited. The US economy, on the other hand, is only 32% housing related.

Talking about the economic situation in Scotland.

As a Scot, I was enthusiastic about devolution - I like decentralised Federal-style systems.

But I am ashamed by the fact that England is currently funding every Scot to the tune of approx. 1000 pounds a year.

A hell of a lot of emplyoment involves taxpayer-funded public sector jobs.

It´s like a kid thinking he´s big and indepedent and then running home to mummy when things get difficult.

Talking about the economic situation in Scotland.

As a Scot, I was enthusiastic about devolution - I like decentralised Federal-style systems.

But I am ashamed by the fact that England is currently funding every Scot to the tune of approx. 1000 pounds a year.

A hell of a lot of emplyoment involves taxpayer-funded public sector jobs.

It´s like a kid thinking he´s big and indepedent and then running home to mummy when things get difficult.

With so many Scots is Parliament Gordon has to pump up the economy with jobs or lose seats to SNP etc. His spending is now 100% fo GDP instead of the target 40% which means taxes will have to soar very soon. Death duties alone based on HPI will help but not that much.

The sooner this miracle is over the better.

The train has just started to move on this subject , once it gathers momentum it will be diificult to stop. Gordon expected to be in No 10 when this all hit the fan but he is stuck next door to face the music. It is going to be fun especially as he is over his borrowing requirment to date so he cant do anything but put up taxes , guess what that will do ?

I am a Scot but dont expect me to criticise you as you are only speaking the truth. I was up seeing friends to Edin and had alook in the Situation Vacs , all the jobs available were Social work , council project leaders, care assistants. The country has had an exploion of government jobs ie public funded.

My old country will collapse on a scale like Ireland .

Well good on you, becuase you have taken the posting in the spirit it was intended - merely to point out the glaring divergence in employment/work and HPI - just happens to be your home country and the stats were just made available.

Same with economic migration, it is very difficult to try and make any mention of the economic side-effects of this without all sorts of aspersions being bandied about. It will not stop me from posting my views though, watch the unemployment stats, jobs displacement, wage atrophy (even as costs rocket) in certain sectors and all the other side effects as they will be big news for years to come.

Edited by OnlyMe

Now on to Wales.

Unemployment up 20% in 3 months.

Big unemployment rise for WalesAug 17 2006

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0300busines...-name_page.html

David Williamson, Western Mail

WALES has experienced the biggest jump in unemployment of any region of the United Kingdom, official figures demonstrated yesterday.

The number of unemployed increased by 15,000 between April and June, rising to 81,000 - up around a fifth

I'm wondering - does GB want to preside over a wrecked country just to go down in history as a PM? - he seems to be driving the country into the ground to get there

Once he's in power I'm guessing his attitude will one of just push everything over the limit (why not - it's f***ed already) - and see whats happens - like a kids chemistry set...

I'm wondering - does GB want to preside over a wrecked country just to go down in history as a PM? - he seems to be driving the country into the ground to get there

Once he's in power I'm guessing his attitude will one of just push everything over the limit (why not - it's f***ed already) - and see whats happens - like a kids chemistry set...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ever thought about stand-up dnd? Brilliant commentary.

On a more serious note..................I think political ambition is causing a lot of compromise but when has it ver not done so? Power can corrupt anyone and someone who has held power for 11 years is dangerous as they start to become a legend in their own mind.

Edited by Realistbear