House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest UK Debt Slave

How Long Before Uk Is Bankrupt?

Guest mattsta1964

It's quite feasible if lending grows at its current rate, the compound interest on UK debt will overtake our GDP

Some people would say that given our debt based economy, it is a matter of when rather than if

What do forum members think?

How much more tax will we pay to keep government borrowing under control? How much further can a government tax its people before there is civil unrest? Too many questions!

It's quite feasible if lending grows at its current rate, the compound interest on UK debt will overtake our GDP

Some people would say that given our debt based economy, it is a matter of when rather than if

What do forum members think?

How much more tax will we pay to keep government borrowing under control? How much further can a government tax its people before there is civil unrest? Too many questions!

Why do you think we will join the euro?

We've had our little mini boom so it's time to have the pain, but spread it thinly over europe.

Guest mattsta1964

Why do you think we will join the euro?

We've had our little mini boom so it's time to have the pain, but spread it thinly over europe.

Well we better hurry up about it! :blink:

Put me right if I am wrong, but isn´t the UK deficit more than 4% of GDP?

The Maastricht criteria for Euroland countries stipulate that a country´s deficit should not exceed more than 3% of GDP.

There has to be some belt tightening or something - the current status-quo is quite simply unsustainable.

Guest mattsta1964

Put me right if I am wrong, but isn´t the UK deficit more than 4% of GDP?

The Maastricht criteria for Euroland countries stipulate that a country´s deficit should not exceed more than 3% of GDP.

There has to be some belt tightening or something - the current status-quo is quite simply unsustainable.

UK debt = 1.2 Trillion

UK GDP = 1.7 Trillion

Personally I haven't got a pot to pi$$ in, so the fact that everyone else in the country could be joining me soon makes very little difference to me.

UK debt = 1.2 Trillion

UK GDP = 1.7 Trillion

UK GDP @ 1.7 Tr ,or £28000 per capita;I might be wrong ,but i think it is only 1.3 Tr or £22000 per capita,about the same as private debt.Realist bear would know.

Guest mattsta1964

UK GDP @ 1.7 Tr ,or £28000 per capita;I might be wrong ,but i think it is only 1.3 Tr or £22000 per capita,about the same as private debt.Realist bear would know.

A pretty shameful state of affairs either way!

If people realised how bad the situation is, they'd think twice about that IO mortgage they're about to buy!

Guest mattsta1964

Not forgetting pfi and all the other 'off balance sheet' debt.

Dames :blink:

Yes! They reckon that'll cost the taxpayer £5-7 for every quid raised by a PFI company. What a bunch of greedy, cheating crooks! Nice one Gordo!

Guest Alright Jack

UK debt = 1.2 Trillion

UK GDP = 1.7 Trillion

This is not really the right number to use. When we talk about the debt to gdp ratio we are talking about the government's debt. The £1.2trillion is consumer debt - decide for yourselves if you think that is important.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/instantfigures.asp gives the raitio at 37.6%.

One of the key measures is the trade deficit to gdp ratio. I cannot find the numbers but, apparently, once this gets to anywhere close to 6% you're in the neihborhood of serious currency crisis. The USA is now over 6%, but given its reserve privelage (and the USA's ability to go into any country attempting to sell oil in other currencies and blow them up) they are still holding on.

Does anyone know the current account to gdp ratio? I'd be grateful for your post!

Personally I haven't got a pot to pi$$ in, so the fact that everyone else in the country could be joining me soon makes very little difference to me.

LOL :lol:

The debt monster is increasingly polluting every aspect of the UK economy, driven by the greed of banks and the stupidty of their overseers who just don't know when to stop.

http://212.21.97.148/magsites/cd/content/t...?ArticleID=1214

Alert raised as debt levels reach all time high

The use of debt in the UK comms market is increasingly widespread, and just a quarter point rise in interest rates could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for many comms firms.

That’s according to the alarming opinions of industry analysts, who state that a borrowing spree is reaching epidemic proportions and with the recent hike in interest rates, and amid concerns that levels of borrowing are out of control, the question of how high levels of debt are impacting on the financial health of comms companies should now top of the boardroom agenda.

Edited by OnlyMe

Guest mattsta1964

This is not really the right number to use. When we talk about the debt to gdp ratio we are talking about the government's debt. The £1.2trillion is consumer debt - decide for yourselves if you think that is important.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/instantfigures.asp gives the raitio at 37.6%.

One of the key measures is the trade deficit to gdp ratio. I cannot find the numbers but, apparently, once this gets to anywhere close to 6% you're in the neihborhood of serious currency crisis. The USA is now over 6%, but given its reserve privelage (and the USA's ability to go into any country attempting to sell oil in other currencies and blow them up) they are still holding on.

Does anyone know the current account to gdp ratio? I'd be grateful for your post!

I think government debt is somewhere in the region of £450 billion

I think government debt is somewhere in the region of £450 billion

Not including PFI of course