House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
north/south divide

Local Observations In South Cheshire

Still a hell of a lot of new builds going up in record time. Now there are some 2,3 & 4 bed houses being built right by Crewe Works, right by a new cinema and bowling complex and right next door to the local Morrisons store. Builders Redrow are offering to pay 5% deposit which I know isn't unusual. Anyway, slighter further up the road right opposite a factory and in the west end which is predominately council houses and the 'rough' area, new apartments have been thrown up by builders Haigh & Haigh, one already sold but I noticed as I drove by at the weekend that there was a huge sign next to them all saying 5% paid and no mortgage payments for 2 years... now that does spell out desperation to me, surely? Or is that normal? I know of deposits being paid as a lure, but not both together?

I tried to look on their website to see how much prices were going for, and when I clicked on new developments this popped up.

Our brand new website is currently under construction and will have full details of our very latest new developments! In the meantime please email our Marketing Manager Mark Roscoe or phone him on **** *** **** to receive full details now! Better hurry, these new properties are selling like Christmas Pud!

Hmmmm.

Property does seem to be selling in Chester for example:

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...&lastyear=1

Prices are down though. ;)

The house price trends given on Home.co.uk are a lovely example of how ALL prices can fall by property TYPE, yet the overall average prices can RISE!!!

This occurs when the relative proportions of the the four property types sold, change in favour of the more expensive e.g. detached.

Hence the importance of MIX ADJUSTMENT.

Something entirely absent from the LR reports that all the media morons like to promulgate. :angry:

I recently made a posting regarding flats for sale by Fairclough Homes,Beeston,Nottingham.The remaining flats are being offered at a16.5% average discount on the 1/7/05 list price,which i had retained for comparison.The market for apartments is on its knees,over-supply seems to be the problem as you suggest.

Our brand new website is currently under construction and will have full details of our very latest new developments! In the meantime please email our Marketing Manager Mark Roscoe or phone him on **** *** **** to receive full details now! Better hurry, these new properties are selling like Christmas Pud!

I like the turn of phrase comparing house sales to "Christmas Pud" ! (I´ve heard hot cakes before but never Christmas pud) :D

Maybe they should come with a warning about choking on sixpences.

'5% paid and no mortgage payments for 2 years.'

Could be a way of living rent free for 2 yrs if you have no money.

If the flat has not gone up in value just hand back the keys as a repo after 2yrs of rent free living

Still a hell of a lot of new builds going up in record time. Now there are some 2,3 & 4 bed houses being built right by Crewe Works, right by a new cinema and bowling complex and right next door to the local Morrisons store. Builders Redrow are offering to pay 5% deposit which I know isn't unusual. Anyway, slighter further up the road right opposite a factory and in the west end which is predominately council houses and the 'rough' area, new apartments have been thrown up by builders Haigh & Haigh, one already sold but I noticed as I drove by at the weekend that there was a huge sign next to them all saying 5% paid and no mortgage payments for 2 years... now that does spell out desperation to me, surely? Or is that normal? I know of deposits being paid as a lure, but not both together?

I tried to look on their website to see how much prices were going for, and when I clicked on new developments this popped up.

Hmmmm.

That town is a dump, I had the pleasure of working in and around it for a number of years. The HPI during the last 4 years has been quite dramatic from what I saw. We once had the local drug squad in the office above our filming the local drug den while rubbish 2 up/2 down on either sides sold for >£95k and only a few door away from the knocking shop :ph34r:

Most of the old Railway land that the bulk of the new devlopments went up on were contaminated with all sorts of nice things chemical and bio... Just the sort of thing you would want a todler to be digging though a cursary layer of imported top soil. <_<

That town is a dump, I had the pleasure of working in and around it for a number of years. The HPI during the last 4 years has been quite dramatic from what I saw. We once had the local drug squad in the office above our filming the local drug den while rubbish 2 up/2 down on either sides sold for >£95k and only a few door away from the knocking shop :ph34r:

Most of the old Railway land that the bulk of the new devlopments went up on were contaminated with all sorts of nice things chemical and bio... Just the sort of thing you would want a todler to be digging though a cursary layer of imported top soil. <_<

Yeah, you are right with regards to it being a dump.. town is swamped with polish all coming to work for arriva (?) and the university of manchester campus near by. I think its because of its good rail and motorway links that they think its a property hotspot.. hmmm. And you are correct I think in 2002 it was the highest area for house price increases in the country :o

Luckily for me I live on the outskirts in Nantwich near open fields but I can't avoid Crewe as I work therre. :(

Luckily for me I live on the outskirts in Nantwich near open fields but I can't avoid Crewe as I work therre. :(

Unlucky! I work in Alsager and am always amazed by the traffic in Crewe. Every hour of the day, the whole town is seemingly in absolute gridlock.

new apartments have been thrown up by builders Haigh & Haigh

They're building on Altincham Rd in Wythenshawe - just had the champagne opening last weekend!

Didn't notice any signs for 5% paid and no mortgage for 2 years - will have a look next time I'm passing :lol::lol:

Unlucky! I work in Alsager and am always amazed by the traffic in Crewe. Every hour of the day, the whole town is seemingly in absolute gridlock.

Yeah, that would be Nantwich Road you are referring to I guess, by the train station that has no less than 4 sets of traffic lights in a 200 yard strip, and around the other piddling little bridge right by the town centre that gets gridlocked all throughout school holidays and every lunchtime.. a set of traffic lights one side, a zebra crossing the other, nobody gives people on the left the time of day to pull out, the roundabout gets jammed and you are forever having to dip your clutch whilst being stuck on the uppermost top of the bridge. Yes, it is very exasperating which is why I rarerly venture out at lunchtimes.

It amazes me how the house prices in Crewe have been sustained for so long and what I am noticing more and more on rightmove is that the quite alot are put up at 'offers in excess of £*****. Madness.

As for employement in the area, most jobs are only paying £6 an hour, if you are lucky and the well paid jobs are few and far between. I earn a decent wage, given what I do and for the area, but as I have said in a previous post, my job will be relocating to Barcelona next year and I work for a major employer in Crewe and think that is just the tip of the iceberg for things to come.

Edited by north/south divide