House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OzzMosiz

Bbc: We've Never Had It So Good

About to come on in a minute Natasha Kaplinsky saying that we've never had it so good

on the high street and how inflation is going down!!

Fcuksake - it went down 0.1% point

Report went into buy stuff with 100quid - after buying products below (missed some)

saying would cost 130 or something 3 years ago

Jeans £3

dvd £18

cd £8

Asking joe sheeple if prices coming down. All agreeing.

Bearish comment "China prices are increasing"

What the hell was the point of this report??

So prices are up 2.4%, but according to the BBC prices are falling. If this was a report about the housing market, it would be called 'booming'.

Typical spin by the governments propaganda machine. :o

Total garbage as usual. OF course DVD players are cheap - HDDVD/Bluray is hitting the streets! Of course portable TVs are cheap - because everyone wants LCD units now.

IT'S CALLED PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

By including consumer electronics in the shopping basket, they've found the perfect mechanism to suppress inflation figures.

Guest The_Oldie

About to come on in a minute Natasha Kaplinsky saying that we've never had it so good

on the high street and how inflation is going down!!

Didn't she once work in the Nu Labour press office?

Edit: On second thoughts, I think it was old Labour in the Kinnock era.

They forgot to mention that it will cost you 25% more in fuel to get to the shops and the electricity to run it is twice as expensive as a couple of years ago.

:lol: good points :lol:

Total garbage as usual. OF course DVD players are cheap - HDDVD/Bluray is hitting the streets! Of course portable TVs are cheap - because everyone wants LCD units now.

IT'S CALLED PROGRESS!!!!!!!!

By including consumer electronics in the shopping basket, they've found the perfect mechanism to suppress inflation figures.

I agree that some of the items they choose to add and those to drop do look strange. So assuming that there is a conspricy to underreport inflation (and is is still a big assumption), we should ask what does this means.

Two points here, by underreporting it they are effectivly moving the inflation target up - this has parallels with another HPC thread (http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=33413). Secondly, while I expect they can pull the wool over joe public's eyes, can they really do the same for the markets? Why are we not seeing an effect there, such as pressure on the Pound?

Actually, in fairness they do take into account advancement in PC specs apparently.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/articles/nojo...basket_2005.pdf

However, I think you've got a big problem including anything in the basket which has a 'product life expectancy'. For example, bread is bread, jeans are jeans. Neither are being rapidly superceded by the next big thing, and are safe measures of inflation. However, DVDs have been dropping in price steadily from the day they were introduced, as they go from the must-have new media, through to mainstream, and then old-hat now that Hidef HD-DVD/Bluray supercedes it.

So, if you take DVDs as a sole measure of inflation, you would say that prices have dropped by 40% over the last 5 years or so (from about £20/disk to more like £12 today). HOWEVER, the new Hidef titles are going to be......you guessed it! £20+. In a couple of years, DVDs will drop from the basket, and Hidef disks will go on, and also show year-on-year falls, until the next format again!

Hmmm, makes you wonder what the overall effect is on that headline rate.

Guest pioneer31

I saw this report. Where do the BBC get their 'business correspondents' from?

They failed to mention something called THE PRODUCT LIFE CYCLE (O Level Economics FFS). This is why TV and DVD players are cheap!!!!

They also failed to mention that I DON'T NEED A DVD PLAYER but I DO NEED GAS, ELECTRCITY, COUNCIL TAX, AND OIL (which you cannot get by without in one form or another). Gas has double in price over 3 years. From £300 to £600. More than wipes out the savings on DVD players and tellies.

The BBC are really p***ing me off now. Only last night we had a story telling us how Women will get richer, thanks to rising House Prices. By 2020 a rabbit hutch will be worth a million. Ermmmmm if you sell it, where the f**k do you live? Also, who will be buying the 'cheaper' properties once they reach the dizzy heights of a lottery win?

This really is the silliest story that THEY HAVE EVER put out.

They don't deserve my licence fee :angry: :angry:

Edited by pioneer31