House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

In-debt Electrician Chased By 'aggressive' Banks Hanged Himself

http://www.24dash.com/news/4/9291/index.htm

Publisher: Jon Land

Published: 15/08/2006 - 17:07:03 PM Printable version

Man hanged himself over debts The family of a man who committed suicide while under intense pressure to pay back business debts today called for tighter regulations on the financial industry.

Robert McKinnie, a self-employed electrician, hanged himself after being chased "aggressively" for several months by major banks, an inquest at the Isle of Wight Coroner's Court heard.

She said: "They were aggressive threatening calls, threatening him that he would lose his home and with insolvency.

"And the calls are continuing now even though he's dead and now I'm facing a court case as well. It's unrelenting."

Daughter Sarah, who works in public relations in Dubai, said: "I think it's disgusting how the financial institutions behaved towards my father.

Ponder now the case of the woman who won a bullying case in court and walked away with £800K.

Surely can not be long till some family tries to stick a manslaughter rap on the bosses of these sharks.

Where are the regulators? There are laws about harassment over debts, they are being continually broken. Shame on them.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-lo..._id=62&ct=5

Banks blamed over suicide

RELENTLESS: Mr McKinnie received up to 15 phone calls a day from banks, hounding him over unpaid debts

Edited by OnlyMe

Ponder now the case of the woman who won a bullying case in court and walked away with £800K.

Surely can not be long till some family tries to stick a manslaughter rap on the bosses of these sharks.

Where are the regulators? There are laws about harassment over debts, they are being continually broken. Shame on them.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-lo..._id=62&ct=5

Banks blamed over suicide

RELENTLESS: Mr McKinnie received up to 15 phone calls a day from banks, hounding him over unpaid debts

I can only say that my heart goes out to that poor guys family.

Obviously couldn't face losing his ohm.

Seriously though, somehow this story appears wrong. Major Blue Chips not paying him and on the brink on bankruptcy despite employing 20 people, appears more to it than meets the eye. Surely its the major blue chips who didn't pay that are ultimately to blame and this situation could surely have been avoided.

Guest Alright Jack

Obviously couldn't face losing his ohm.

Seriously though, somehow this story appears wrong. Major Blue Chips not paying him and on the brink on bankruptcy despite employing 20 people, appears more to it than meets the eye. Surely its the major blue chips who didn't pay that are ultimately to blame and this situation could surely have been avoided.

AArrrgghhh! That's damned awful.

Sounds suspicious to me. I think our sparky perhaps had his fingers stuck in a till. Presumably, major blue chip would have had ample means to pay their bills. Perhaps it's a case of crossed wires. I wonder if his current account was too overdrawn.

AArrrgghhh! That's damned awful.

Sounds suspicious to me. I think our sparky perhaps had his fingers stuck in a till. Presumably, major blue chip would have had ample means to pay their bills. Perhaps it's a case of crossed wires. I wonder if his current account was too overdrawn.

No. Blue Chips can be a major pain when it comes to payment. They frequently insist on longer terms for payment than anyone else in any contracts. Major pain in the @rse for small businesses in particular. Also, chasing payment is extremely difficult and they frequently make mistakes. Sorting out any problems with these behemoths can take months. One small business I worked for frequently used to be waiting up to six months for payment, and that was when we had someone constantly chasing money.