House Price Crash Forum
Jason

Cutting Edge: Pram Face (living On Benefits)

[sorry, a bit off topic]

The current affairs series profiles the difficult daily lives of Ala and Abby, young single mothers in Exeter. After rent, Abby has just 35 pounds and Ala 50 pounds to spend on food, clothes and essentials. 20-year-old Ala lives on a council estate with her two sons, while 21-year-old Abby and her baby live in temporary accomodation.

Another interesting program.

Edited by Jason

I think you need to remove the blinkers & the comfy cushion, not everyone has the same opportunties in life...

Quite.

http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/02/t...age=all&p=y

“Poverty is stress,” she says, with more than a little passion in her voice. “One thing that always strikes me is that when you ask Americans why the poor are poor, they always say it’s because they don’t work hard enough, or don’t want to do better. They act like poverty is a character issue.”

Gould’s work implies that the symptoms of poverty are not simply states of mind; they actually warp the mind. Because neurons are designed to reflect their circumstances, not to rise above them, the monotonous stress of living in a slum literally limits the brain.

Edited by ronnie

[sorry, a bit off topic]

"...a bit off topic" ? No, totally off topic.

I thought you lot were now trying to hide your obsessive hatred of single mothers, gypsies, foreigners, trade unionists etc. ! Thank God you don't hide it very well - it'll keep you where you belong, that's on the margins of political life, for a lot longer. Keep at it!

p

thats a bit boring Pat..anything more interesting to say?

How can it be off topic when it affects housing, the economy and the productivity and sustainability of the UK...

Edited by delboypass

I "helped" a girl like this once - she looked like the pretty one. She was my girlfriend for about three years - she was also older, about 28, but you'd never know, so she was so "held back".

Not money. Just exposure to normal adult life (plus my problems and hang-ups, of course). By the end, she was working, renting her own place, £5,000 in savings, and doing an OU degree with a future profession in mind. I even helped get her son into one of the best non-paying Church schools in London.

Her childhood had been a disaster and her parents too ill (mentally) to assist. She just needed a bit of love and support.

She's marrying someone else now. The energy fell away as she blossomed into independence - I really believe I was in her life for just a moment - a moment in which she was ready to change.

It certainly helped that she was a wonderful person: honest, integral, beautiful and powerful.

Sounds like a script for a movie! or an analogy relating to the British colonial experience!

I "helped" a girl like this once - she looked like the pretty one. She was my girlfriend for about three years - she was also older, about 28, but you'd never know, so she was so "held back".

Not money. Just exposure to normal adult life (plus my problems and hang-ups, of course). By the end, she was working, renting her own place, £5,000 in savings, and doing an OU degree with a future profession in mind. I even helped get her son into one of the best non-paying Church schools in London.

Her childhood had been a disaster and her parents too ill (mentally) to assist. She just needed a bit of love and support.

She's marrying someone else now. The energy fell away as she blossomed into independence - I really believe I was in her life for just a moment - a moment in which she was ready to change.

It certainly helped that she was a wonderful person: honest, integral, beautiful and powerful.

Good for you Durch, people are far too quick to judge and write others off.

I'm sure she's glad she knew you.

Scum Breeding Scum....living off the backs of us hard working people...!!!

I sometimes get accused of being a heartless capitalist but I've got a lot of respect for the girls on this programme and other single mums. They're trying their best, put their family first and seem down to earth.

Are they any worse than these pseudo Bridget Jones type metropolitan females? Wine bars, careers,drugs, posh flats, dinner parties etc etc. No, these people are the real scum IMHO and have wrecked this country. :angry:

Must get back to the prog.

I think you need to remove the blinkers & the comfy cushion, not everyone has the same opportunties in life...

Really? :huh:

This is Britain. Education is free at the point of use; college courses (should you choose to go into higher education at 16) are free at the point of use. Public libraries are free. Do you see the point I'm making.

If someone is born into povery in parts of sub-Saharan Africa, then they have my sympathy; they really have drawn the short straw in life. In a modern country such as the UK, there really is no excuse. The fact is some people prefer to suck at the public teat than make a life for themselves. :angry:

Why do we continue to support these useless mouths? One generation of slack-jawed dole-fodder breeds the next.

Notice the've all got the latest mobile phones etc etc. Everytime I turn around there in a different drinking establishment. I'm sure there are exceptions however I know lots of single mothers none of whom are from broken homes who have made a career out of this, one even had the cheek to say to me "my house is worth over 200 graaaaaaaand". Too be honest I don't blame them, best career move a 15 year old girl could make in my opinion.

oh and imagine my surprise they can afford to smoke.

Edited by membrane

How much do single mothers actually get to live on?

It said £35 / week after accommodation but they seemed to be getting

through quite a bit more than that.

I don't understand why the jobcentre

is giving out interest-free loans. To be paid

back later with benefits.

Does anyone know the answer?

I just got my end away with a beautiful girl.

ha! i admire your honesty. a good story :)

at least the main one (alana?) was getting a job at the end of it. the easy option would be to remain on benefits.

i wish they wouldn't bloomin' well smoke though - can't be good for them, or the kids. :(

I "helped" a girl like this once - she looked like the pretty one. She was my girlfriend for about three years - she was also older, about 28, but you'd never know, she was so "held back".

Was this the one who got that dinky BP tanker as a xmas present from her teacher , and you got zilch ;)

I sometimes get accused of being a heartless capitalist but I've got a lot of respect for the girls on this programme and other single mums. They're trying their best, put their family first and seem down to earth.

Are they any worse than these pseudo Bridget Jones type metropolitan females? Wine bars, careers,drugs, posh flats, dinner parties etc etc. No, these people are the real scum IMHO and have wrecked this country. :angry:

Must get back to the prog.

Not single mums the problem, but it must be women of some sort. I know, let's target another arbitrary group of women for all society's problems.....

Otherwise known as misogyny.

Single mums are as such because the man who got them pregnant is not around or able to support them. Bridget Joneses would probably prefer to have a husband and kids, but never met the right man while they were young enough to have a choice.

In reality, these are not the movers and shakers of society, behind all its ills. B)

I "helped" a girl like this once - she looked like the pretty one. She was my girlfriend for about three years - she was also older, about 28, but you'd never know, she was so "held back".

Tell 'em the truth, Durch! Tell 'em why the pair of you really fell out!

"The energy fell away", ah boo f-ing hoo, cobblers!

She had enough of playing second fiddle to your the real love of your life. Yeah that's right, innit, Neil f-ing Armstrong, always banging on, Apollo this, Saturn five that, poxey moon rover, lunar f-ing command module!

Huston we have a f-ing problem alright!

Poor girl couldn't take it no more. Then when she told you how she really felt, when she said that the Apollo missions were nothing more than a cold war publicity stunt, filmed in a studio...well, you went ******ing mental and through her out on the street with nothing more than the rags you found her in!

Heartless *******!

Fuck me I don't know whether to cry or throw up. :ph34r:

Fuck me I don't know whether to cry or throw up. :ph34r:

IMHO, taken at face value (which you have to do since its the tinternet) Durch strikes me as a man of compassion. What is there to throw up about? We could do with a few more people in the world like him.

Spoonunit

I always love a womans response...

It was the mans fault for getting the women pregnant and then scarpering!!!

Really...another show of fault management then.....just like it was the banks that lent me the money!!

[sorry, a bit off topic]

The current affairs series profiles the difficult daily lives of Ala and Abby, young single mothers in Exeter. After rent, Abby has just 35 pounds and Ala 50 pounds to spend on food, clothes and essentials. 20-year-old Ala lives on a council estate with her two sons, while 21-year-old Abby and her baby live in temporary accomodation.

Another interesting program.

They selected two attractive, intelligent and articulate single mums for this programme. Ones who don't give their kids smarties because of the E numbers (very commendable - but she served just fairy cakes for christmas dinner), who said if they could have anything in the world it would be a father for their kids (not material belongings for themselves), and who ultimately chose to go out and get a job rather than stay on benefits. As an employer, I would happily give either of those girls a job.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that those two are representative of the majority of young single mums, bearing in mind the ones I know in my area of Devon.

It was an interesting programme but it proved nothing about young single mums in general.

Edited by Ethel

"Single mums are as such because the man who got them pregnant is not around or able to support them."

Sometimes they do it to as a career move.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5217634.stm

I don't think single mums should be thrown on the street but nor should they be given accomodation that not only people on low wages could not afford but even people on good wages. How is that fair ?

How can someone justify that a single mum lives in housing that many workers dream of having ?

(Please no one say that it is not true I know single mums in London who live in housing that someone earn £30K + could not afford).

Not single mums the problem, but it must be women of some sort. I know, let's target another arbitrary group of women for all society's problems.....

Otherwise known as misogyny.

Single mums are as such because the man who got them pregnant is not around or able to support them. Bridget Joneses would probably prefer to have a husband and kids, but never met the right man while they were young enough to have a choice.

In reality, these are not the movers and shakers of society, behind all its ills. B)

No girl should ever be stupid enough to expect that a guy is going to stick around and look after her. Guy's are unreliable and selfish.

Girls should look out for number one, and make sure that they DON'T get pregnant if they can't afford to cope.

The girl on this programme claimed that she always used contraception but still ended up with two babies. Bullsh1t. She either wasn't taking her pill properly or is just plain lying.

name='membrane' post='428722' date='Aug 14 2006, 09:54 PM']

oh and imagine my surprise they can afford to smoke.

As can most people living in "poverty" in the UK.

"I don't want a career - I want to bring my little girl up and I still go out and have fun."

Boo Hoo.

Edited by jonewer

:P After the misogyny, comes the misandry!

Which just goes to show that prejudice is androgynous.

Absolutely.

I am not prejudiced... I judge both sexes equally harshly. :P