House Price Crash Forum
Jason

Dispatches: Public Service, Private Profit

Channel 4 News economic correspondent Liam Halligan tackles the controversial Private Finance Initiative. He reveals how the private funding of state schools and hospitals is draining hundreds of millions of pounds from frontline services, while creating a £4 billion-a-year industry and a new elite of publicly-unaccountable PFI professionals

An interesting program.

Channel 4 News economic correspondent Liam Halligan tackles the controversial Private Finance Initiative. He reveals how the private funding of state schools and hospitals is draining hundreds of millions of pounds from frontline services, while creating a £4 billion-a-year industry and a new elite of publicly-unaccountable PFI professionals

An interesting program.

look at it this way paying upfront rather than paying in Final salary pension. I am happy about it. By the way I do not work for PFI company

Sadly not. Most contracts were transferred directly over from the council thus everyone still has their cushy pension.

I just hope the next government passes an act of parliament allowing them to renege on all these deals otherwise the country is screwed.

It just shows how Gordon Brown would destroy this economy so he can be seen as "prudent". That man is really dangerous.

Anyone know if this is going to be repeated at some point? Sound like a fun bit of TV.

Anyone know if this is going to be repeated at some point? Sound like a fun bit of TV.

I have it recorded on my PC, but it will be a massive file. I'll see what I can do later unless someone else findsa "watch it again" link on tin't'ernet.

It puzzles me how the british people elected a labour governement and yet thess sort of ideologically driven initiatives gain a foothold despite costing more than if the public service did it. Real tory stuff, private sector involvement at all costs . I have nothing against privatising non essential services and even some esssential services under strictly contolled circumstance but when it costs more and is less efficient then theres no point as much of the bumper private profits probably leave the uk for foreign shareholders.

It puzzles me how the british people elected a labour governement and yet thess sort of ideologically driven initiatives gain a foothold despite costing more than if the public service did it. Real tory stuff, private sector involvement at all costs . I have nothing against privatising non essential services and even some esssential services under strictly contolled circumstance but when it costs more and is less efficient then theres no point as much of the bumper private profits probably leave the uk for foreign shareholders.

I agree totally !!

This is what happens when we leave the running of this country up to MPs that are just out of University that have no idea about running any kind of business . The public have this silly idea that because you are a government minister/MP that you know what it takes to run a public service!! Private or Public.

This government are professional spin doctors thats all. AND WHEN THEY HAVE LEFT IT WILL BE UP TO JOE PUBLIC TO CLEAR THE MESS UP WHILE THEY GO OFF WITH THEIR BIG FAT PENSIONS PAID FOR BY THE PEOPLE.

I've added the video to the net. You can download it here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/d338cb/

The link will expire 7 days after the last user to download it.

Edit:

Click "Download for free with FileFactory Basic" and save to disk.

Edit again:

For some reason you need to add the file extension onto the completed download, it is .wmv

Edited by Jason

I've added the video to the net. You can download it here:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/d338cb/

The link will expire 7 days after the last user to download it.

Edit:

Click "Download for free with FileFactory Basic" and save to disk.

Edit again:

For some reason you need to add the file extension onto the completed download, it is .wmv

I missed this so muchappreciated Jason.

Pension Schemes are judged to be in deficit if the value of their current assets is less than the net present value of their future liabilities.

With the future payments under PFI being fairly well defined (even without additional charges for items not covered in the contracts) a Health Authority will need to pay £xxx,000 for so and so hospital to a the service provider for the next 34 years, why cant all the liabilities in PFI schemes be calculated and added as a liability to the national debt?

Would Gordon still appear to be spending today’s and tomorrows taxes prudently.

I missed this so muchappreciated Jason.

Ditto..

But i now feel angry, depressed, & just plain sick again :(

No probs! Hope the quality was fine.

Thanks Jason - excellent link. You truly are the man (or woman) with his/her finger on the pulse.

Shame the sheeple won't understand the full implications.

btp

Offical public sector national debt :

£479bn

PFI Off balance sheet debt -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...5/cnbrown25.xml

"PFI More than £53bn worth had been signed by the end of 2005, and in the Budget the chancellor announced plans for a further £26bn worth of deals by 2010."

+ £80bn

Public sector pensions

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...01/cndebt01.xml

+ £503bn

= £1062bn/£1168 GDP = 91% ratio National debt/GDP.

ID cards are for taxes - the interest on this huge glut of spending and cronyism has to be paid back by taxpayers.

IIRC... As it's a risky investment, investors (including banks lending the money) expect a higher return than normal. When it's built, the risk has gone, so they can then refinance at far lower levels leaving a big surplus. Something like that anyway.