Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Not joking - just sarcastically challenging your knowledge of what constitutes the various indices:

http://www.unison.org.uk/bargaining/doc_view.asp?did=262

CPI—new European Union inflation measure

The Consumer Price Index (also called HICP - ‘harmonised index of consumer prices’) is an internationally comparable measure of inflation, calculated by each country in the European Union (EU). CPI’s are used to compare inflation rates across the EU, and the Government will use it to decide if interest rates should be altered. It has been used as the Government’s official rate from December 2003.

CPI differs from the current system - RPI - in various ways. It excludes most housing costs (including council tax, mortgage interest, buildings insurance). It also assumes that if the price of one product rises, people will buy less of it and more of its competitors. Using CPI, the UK inflation rate has been one of the lowest in the EU since the start of 2000.Annual increases in pensions and other benefits calculated using the rate of inflation will continue to be calculated using the current criteria, not CPI.

Get information on the CPI from www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=181

You know what they say about assuming

It will make an ass out you and me

There was no valid reason for dropping the most important figures from the measure or by building in assumptions that prices would fall due to competition

These new methods of measurement are flawed

HOLA448
HOLA449

Somehow don't think you will be posting on HPC by then. :lol:

You will be though. You will still be calling every index a pack of lies. You will still be blaming the Chancellor, the MPC, the government and the "VIs" for conspiring against you.

You will still call people who bought houses since 2002 "muppets" and "sheeple"

And you will still be waiting....

In your heart you have doubts. You're trying to convince yourself that prices will crash, maybe already have, despite all the indications and data and indices telling you otherwise. You take solace in like-minded people here who all tell you that the crash has started. (I could dig up posts from people going back to last November saying that the crash has started)

But in reality you have doubts that prices will crash.

Think about it, and have a good night.

HOLA4410

Flat Bear,

CPI differs from the current system - RPI - in various ways. It excludes most housing costs (including council tax, mortgage interest, buildings insurance). It also assumes that if the price of one product rises, people will buy less of it and more of its competitors. Using CPI, the UK inflation rate has been one of the lowest in the EU since the start of 2000

Substition, the powers that be realised that inflation could no longer be afforded so they subsituted it with a crock of shite instead, hoping nobody would notice.

HOLA4411

You will be though. You will still be calling every index a pack of lies. You will still be blaming the Chancellor, the MPC, the government and the "VIs" for conspiring against you.

In your heart you have doubts. You're trying to convince yourself that prices will crash, maybe already have, despite all the indications and data and indices telling you otherwise. You take solace in like-minded people here who all tell you that the crash has started. (I could dig up posts from people going back to last November saying that the crash has started)

Now, now, mummy's had enough of picking those toys up after you.

HOLA4412

Well, those who believe prices are not dropping my area are sheeple:

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birmin...-name_page.html

Survey shows fall in house prices

Aug 15 2006

A soaring number of estate agents have reported a drop in house prices in the West Midlands, a study has found.
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) report yesterday came as separate Government study showed a year-on-year fall in price inflation in the region.

I am afraid RICS, who I rarely trust as they are essentially EAs, are right. I study our local papers to track the declines and there are more "new prices" (a.k.a. price reduced) each week. Tragic stories reflected in "unexpectedly back on market" as frustrated buyers have to pull out of long chains that offer promise only to dissappoint after months of waiting. Then there is the heart wrenching numbers of once frenzied BTLers who thought they could make millions from the air only to start listing their shattered dreams as "no upward chain" sales that permeate every page of the property section.

No, I am afraid the HPC is on in the West Midlands and the numbers prove it and RICS have just confirmed it.

HOLA4413

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4790067.stm

Last Updated: Monday, 14 August 2006, 09:20 GMT 10:20 UK

Slowdown hits house price growth

House price inflation in the UK is slowing, official government figures have shown.
The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) - formerly the ODPM - said prices rose by 5.2% in the year to June, down from 5.6% in May.
Price inflation slowed sharply in London, with annual price inflation in the capital slipping from 7.0% in May to 5.8% in June.
Findings mirrored
Overall, the findings of the DCLG mirror those of other house price surveys.
The most recent Halifax and Nationwide surveys have shown that the housing market in most parts of the UK running out of steam as the summer progresses.
Both have said they anticipate a further slowdown in the second half of 2006 as the latest Bank of England interest rate rise takes hold.

The VIs are issuing alternating reports--one day prices are down, next they are up. Keep the sheeple confused and they are more likely to borrow more money :blink:

HOLA4414

So let's analyse this DND:

1 You say that CPI doesn't include energy costs

2. I point out that it does

3.You therefore think I have a isolated, narrow view of things and that because I know that CPI includes energy costs, I must be recommending house purchase.

Your verbal reasoning skills clearly need a bit of work!

1. I forgot

2. well done - you pounced on it

3. yep, coz you harp on about your son and yourself - I think you've lived a safe, sheltered existance...

HOLA4415
Guest grumpy-old-man

1. I forgot

2. well done - you pounced on it

3. yep, coz you harp on about your son and yourself - I think you've lived a safe, sheltered existance...

I have got to admit dnd, you kick CO's a4se on humour :D:D:D

CO, you do go on a lot about your son & his excellent career & huge money earning potential :rolleyes:

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Yep - the harder I worked the safer my existence became.

I "harp on" about my son because all I hear on here is how impossible life is for youngsters, how easy the older generation had it, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile people with a bit of common sense, hard work and enthusiasm get on with life, same as always. I've used him and all his mates (all from working class backgrounds with no privileges whatsoever) to provide a more inspiring example, when I've responded to losers like you telling me it's impossible, 'coz the world's against you.

I understand how this might make you feel inferior though, hence your vitriol....

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I "harp on" about my son because all I hear on here is how impossible life is for youngsters, how easy the older generation had it, blah, blah, blah. Meanwhile people with a bit of common sense, hard work and enthusiasm get on with life, same as always. I've used him and all his mates (all from working class backgrounds with no privileges whatsoever) to provide a more inspiring example, when I've responded to losers like you telling me it's impossible, 'coz the world's against you.

I understand how this might make you feel inferior though, hence your vitriol....

I fully agree with you CO. All my friends own houses, they are all youngsters. The one thing that connects them is that they have all worked hard and continue to do so. They are all living in fairly modest homes but are just getting on with it.

HOLA4421

haven't got a clue what you have said about your son previously and honestly don't care, however, if house prices were where they historically should be then with whatever earnings potential he has he would have been able to buy twice as much with his money

prices are unsustainably high and will come down