House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OzzMosiz

Screw Houses (for Now) - Just Bought A New Car

Well I flatly refuse to buy any house at the moment, so just dished

out 10K on a Ford Focus 1.8TDCI with <5K miles.

I'll keep saving now to make up the difference.

Anyone else having fun with there money out there.

So it is true that the profligacy of the young today is preventing them buying houses.

When I was saving to buy my first property I didn't have a car, walked whenever and wherever I could. Hardly ever went out. Didn't buy clothes, records, videos etc. Only took 3 years.

I'm sadly disappointed that so many on here are wasting money on non-essentials rather than being responsible adults.

You need to re-learn frugality from the aging baby boomers.

Well I flatly refuse to buy any house at the moment

Same here but I'm spending my money on re-education. Going back to uni in one month.

I figured I'd rather spend the money on getting out of a job I hate than see it disappear if I spend it on an overvalued house.

I've saved enough that I don't actually have to work for 4 years and I'll probably still be in a better position in 4 years time than now

I bought a new Honda Civic this weekend and treated myself to a 4th baby that hubby claimed we couldn't afford.

We've also spent the stamp duty money, the difference between £250 and £350k that would have gone to GB on a family holiday to the Cayman Islands :D

Never did have that gap year.

When I bought my first property, money was very short so I rented out the 2nd bedroom, then the living room, (due to popular demand) obtained secondhand furniture and had decorating and gardening parties, but by being frugal it made me appreciate the things that are really important in life.

I now have the time and means for that travelling gap year. better late than never.

I have a shiny new VW Golf GTi sitting in the driveway.... (called "Phil" :lol: )

I will re-save the amount spent during the next 2 years.

But it's not all about money is it? You've got to enjoy yourself, but still be financially responsible. Buying a new car (which I love) wsa my little financial indiscretion ;)

Ignorant Steve - I assume you're being sarcastic? I also assume you don't think that buying an over-priced house is being financially responsible?

This is coming from a 39 year old who has quite enough money to buy a house - but who understands the difference between value and hype. ;)

I just went out and bought a 1986 Vauxhall Cavalier. 1.8 litres, saloon styling, all original interior. Yeah, baby, YEAH!

Two hundred quid well spent (knock off the tank of fuel/MOT/tax and it can't have been more than a hundred). I can't afford it for long, though. I'll sell it in a month or so once I don't need it anymore. It's cheaper to do it this way than hiring or using public transport.

Well I flatly refuse to buy any house at the moment, so just dished

out 10K on a Ford Focus 1.8TDCI with <5K miles.

You've bought a Ford diesel, mate - you're hardly living the rock 'n' roll dream :P

Yeah, today I splashed out on a pasty and raspberry flapjack, well you only live once.

The thought of spending a vast sum on a rapidly depreciating consumer durable, designed by accountants, is an unappealing one IMO.

After the initial novelty factor wore off I'd get that icy feeling of realisation as I blend in with the other 20 million jelly moulds, rarely getting above second gear.

Ignorant Steve - I assume you're being sarcastic? I also assume you don't think that buying an over-priced house is being financially responsible?

This is coming from a 39 year old who has quite enough money to buy a house - but who understands the difference between value and hype. ;)

Yes and no. Clearly all work and no play........ etc

But I do a get a bit hacked off by the continual slagging off of the baby boomers who alledgedly have had everything easy.

This is coming from a 40yr old who had enough money to buy a house and understands the difference between value and price.

The right attitude - stuff buying houses when you could see that big deposit you've worked so hard for wiped out in a crash. I'm thinking I might buy an old Type 2 VW camper which won't depreciate in value - always looking on Ebay for them!.

I've had many of those. Great fun but too expensive to run these days, struggle to get more than 25mpg.

Great fun but too expensive to run these days, struggle to get more than 25mpg.

But the money you save on rent will easily pay for the petrol :).

I am thinking about buying a Mercedes 300 SL, under £10k for a early 90's model with under 100k miles. A decent entry into the supercar range for a very low entry fee. Extremely reliable and if you don't overdo it on the miles probably zero depreciation over the next 5 years which makes up for the 28 mpg consumption. SLs start off very expensive, drop sharply for about 5 years, level off a little and slow depreciate for a few years and then start to appreciate if they are immaculate. Right now early 90's is a good place on the curve. :)

So it is true that the profligacy of the young today is preventing them buying houses.

When I was saving to buy my first property I didn't have a car, walked whenever and wherever I could. Hardly ever went out. Didn't buy clothes, records, videos etc. Only took 3 years.

I'm sadly disappointed that so many on here are wasting money on non-essentials rather than being responsible adults.

LOL, Nicely written sarcasm :D

The problem is there is people who probably believe this.

I've had many of those. Great fun but too expensive to run these days, struggle to get more than 25mpg.

I'm interested to know which particular part of the overall ownership experience is 'fun'?

Is it the 6 hours of deafening noise while travelling down to Newquay at 40mph?

Waiting around in a pissy lay by for the RAC to put the pivot pin back in the fuel pump?

Or is it when all the body filler falls out as you go over the camp site speed bumps?

I'm interested to know which particular part of the overall ownership experience is 'fun'?

Isn't it the part where you pick up hippy chicks and shag their brains out in a lay-by?

Isn't it the part where you pick up hippy chicks and shag their brains out in a lay-by?

That's what he said you when you handed over the wad of fifties?

Is it the 6 hours of deafening noise while travelling down to Newquay at 40mph?

Waiting around in a pissy lay by for the RAC to put the pivot pin back in the fuel pump?

Or is it when all the body filler falls out as you go over the camp site speed bumps?

Well actually the one I had in OZ was a 2 litre injection model that we never got in the UK. That had no problem exceeding 40mph. I cruised around France/Italy in a standard 1.6 and that had no problem cruising at 65mph and isn't noisey as the engine is in the rear.

There is just something about the sound of a flat 4 engine, sitting up front, big bus style steering wheel, not being in a hurry. A lot of fun.

You've bought a Ford diesel, mate - you're hardly living the rock 'n' roll dream :P

Hey I've got a Focus 2.0L TDCI as well - it has a wicked amount of acceleration which leaves others in the shade, and is more fun to drive than many so called "sports cars"....

Hey I've got a Focus 2.0L TDCI as well - it has a wicked amount of acceleration which leaves others in the shade, and is more fun to drive than many so called "sports cars"....

Yeah, but you still look like a rep :P

(Although to be fair, you probably have a point - I don't doubt a 2.0 Focus would out accelerate and out handle my Mazda "roadster")

If we're poking fun at each others' cars, I'd like to say that I mock everyone who owns a car for more than a week or so. Peasants.

Hmm, its tricky walking 450 miles a week

It gets me from A to B and reasonably cheaply. Should also last at least 10 years, thats enough for me.