House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TimD

Roger Bootles Last Column For Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...13/ccecag13.xml

"The American housing market looks to be turning. As our first chart shows, the number of unsold homes hanging over the market has shot up. And the housing market poses more of a threat to the US economy than ours does to the British economy, as increases in housing wealth have been the leading support for consumer spending."

What planet is he living on?

Cheers,

Tim.

"The American housing market looks to be turning. As our first chart shows, the number of unsold homes hanging over the market has shot up. And the housing market poses more of a threat to the US economy than ours does to the British economy, as increases in housing wealth have been the leading support for consumer spending."

Cheers,

Tim.

It all depends. If the energy shock is not going to be passed on into general inflation, the MPC should stay pat and just put up with the temporary spike in inflation.

By contrast, if higher energy prices might be passed on to other prices, and particularly into wages, then it should tighten to prevent inflation becoming ingrained.

In the UK, there is currently little sign of this more generalised inflation.

Errr, does he live a life. Is it not just energy causing inflation and I don't think any of its going to be temporary anyway.

Gas prices UP, Electricity prices UP, Pertrol prices UP, Passports UP, Postage costs about to go up (Pricing in proportion), Record Council Tax rises on the cards by the look of it using.....I'm sure there are other that can add many more.

I don't know how respected this guy is, but that paragraph just seems like total nonesense.

On the issue of USA/UK MEW, is there anyway to get comparitive figures for the % of MEW taken compared to GDP over the last 2 years?

AFP

On the issue of USA/UK MEW, is there anyway to get comparitive figures for the % of MEW taken compared to GDP over the last 2 years?

AFP

About the US:

Our second graph displays net lending (= net borrowing) as a percent of GDP, which did increase from 17% in 2000 to over 27% in 2005 as Kucewicz’s discussion notes

from a blog by Angry Bear

Can't find anything yet about the UK

Cheers,

Tim.

Roger Bootle´s economic analyses are akin to reading something like Noddy´s Guide to Quantum Physics

I'm sorry to see this guy go.

Every week I bought the Telegraph so that I could read his column....and then prepare to do the exact opposite of whatever he said. And its worked so far.

The guy is a muppet, good riddance.

"The economy depends about as much on economists as the weather does on weather forecasters"

I'm sorry to see this guy go.

Every week I bought the Telegraph so that I could read his column....and then prepare to do the exact opposite of whatever he said. And its worked so far.

The guy is a muppet, good riddance.

"The economy depends about as much on economists as the weather does on weather forecasters"

Well said Needle. You beat me to the punch :D

Funny, a couple of years ago Bootle was a hero to many HPC-ers. Now by contrast, 'we' can't abide him. Nothing personal Rog mate, but you're a terrible economist.

Funny, a couple of years ago Bootle was a hero to many HPC-ers. Now by contrast, 'we' can't abide him. Nothing personal Rog mate, but you're a terrible economist.

Actually, I kinda like him... :ph34r:

Hi Shermanator,

You're right, it is funny! :)

In fact, it's hilarious - Capital Economics comes top of the poll in terms of economic forecasting according tp the Sunday Times, and as you've probably guessed, you can read more here: http://www.capitaleconomics.com/aboutus/in_the_press.php

Some light reading for you to enjoy, maybe? :D

HTH

Cheers

KF

Edited by KentishFella

Hi Shermanator,

You're right, it is funny! :)

In fact, it's hilarious - Capital Economics comes top of the poll in terms of economic forecasting according tp the Sunday Times, and as you've probably guessed, you can read more here: http://www.capitaleconomics.com/aboutus/in_the_press.php

Some light reading for you to enjoy, maybe? :D

poor old Roger!!!!...don't give him so much grief!!!

He was actually Uber-bearish if you remember rightly,he thought that IR's would have to be massively cut because of a collapsing consumer.

HE WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!......we HAVE got collapsing consumers!!!....He just didn't put the rest of the global economy in the picture!!!!......slight case of tunnel-vision,that's all!!!

Instead,what we have is a GLOBAL cycle of inflation,so rising IR's,utility bills and so on all round,which would prohibit the rate cuts he forecast.The only way is UP ...........baby,...for you and me now....(to the sound of yazz+plastic population!)