House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Price Of Flour To Soar After Crop Failures - Cpi Basket Not At Risk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4787955.stm

Last Updated: Sunday, 13 August 2006,

06:54 GMT 07:54 UK

The rise in price is said to have a knock-on effect on small bakeries
Bread makers say poor crop harvests and rising energy costs are forcing a hike in the price of bread on the shelves.
Flour prices are set to increase among the biggest bread makers, leading to a rise of
two to four pence per loaf
Rank Hovis, which owns eight mills and ADM Milling, which has nine, are both pushing up the price per tonne.
The UK's recent heatwave in the south east has been blamed for causing poor wheat harvests this year, coupled with the high costs of fuel among producers.../
ADM managing director Ian Pinner said: "This is the third year that we have had to accept increased energy costs which are now 30% higher than in November 2005.
"In addition global wheat markets have moved up sharply in reaction to supply and demand figures showing world stocks to be the lowest for 25 years."
Experts said this would mean price hikes of around 15% to 20% for major flour users.

Add the cost of oil to fire the ovens and to deliver the bread and people may soon be driven to pinch a loaf rather than to pay for it out of their meagre funds after inflation has lightened their pockets. :o

Edited by Realistbear

Stange. I remember several years ago during the last similar such summer grain farmers in the South and East were reporting record yields. I guess it's globalisation for you. Our wheat is probably shipped to New Zealand and we buy ours from every corner of the globe.

What about the cost of energy to bake it and the cost of fuel to transport it?

Use you loaf :D

Cheers,

Tim.

Bugger, speed reading, RB already said this in his post. Sorry.

Edited by TimD

Flour prices are set to increase among the biggest bread makers, leading to a rise of
two to four pence per loaf

Bugger me - how will I ever afford to eat and pay my mortgage? Better sell my house! RB you may have finally identified the trigger for a HPC... :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

wonder if food is going to be stripped out of the CPI figures!!!!!

wake up and smell the coffee boys and girls,this is a good strong dose of espresso if you thought inflation was dead!!!!!

If they could make edible IPOD's then I guess we'd have a chance at keeping REAL inflation under wraps,but for the time being,just go with the flow and invest accordingly.

shares in energy/utilities/commodities are the way to go.