House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Clueless_Academic

Forum Psychology ?

Hello fellow HPC members -

I must admit I,ve been a member here for longer than I can remember !

In the past 5 years interest rates have been low, stock markets & property prices have risen - not rocket science I'm sure you'd agree - its all happened before.

A factor which you should bear in mind is the price of oil which has also risen in tandem with house & stock market prices - oil (or energy) is the key 'motor' of Capitalism - without it there would be no growth.

If oil stays high then there must be more money in circulation to pay for it + hence asset prices will remain high

Perhaps we can safely say that prices are 'pegged' at these levels from now on - there has been a shift in Global Asset prices. A house which cost £500 in 1930 now costs £250k - that's the type of shift I mean - do HPC members assume houses will reduce back to 1930's levels - as long as oil is scarce then asset prices must remain high.

Maybe we will see hyperinflation or stagflation because our governments will need to maintain their economic systems by keeping the system 'liquid' with more money so we can all consume products & services and hence 'recycle' our labour back into the economy.

However, I do feel that the wheels will eventually fall off when high oil prices prevent further economic growth - when this will happen I don't know. Peak Oil is a factor which you should all consider -

Also, this effect will probably be coupled with environmental degredation, causing crop failures, population shifts, etc., within the next 50 years.

All in all I feel that we won't be able to extrapolate past events into the future from now on as our total economic system will be subject to immense changes within the next generation.

Perhaps the 'Golden Age' is over and we were all lucky to have lived in the most prosperous times humanity has ever known and now we may have to brace ourselves for a dystopian future in an imaginary place or state in where the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.

Sorry to be pessimistic or should I say realistic ??

If oil stays high then there must be more money in circulation to pay for it + hence asset prices will remain high

LOL.

America has high oil prices, with petrol prices more than doubling in the last few years: and it also has a house price crash gaining momentum as we speak. You see, when the price of essential things goes up, people have less money left to waste on non-essentials, like mortgage payments.

Stil, with thinking like yours, you might have a bright future at the Treasury.

LOL.

America has high oil prices, with petrol prices more than doubling in the last few years: and it also has a house price crash gaining momentum as we speak. You see, when the price of essential things goes up, people have less money left to waste on non-essentials, like mortgage payments.

Stil, with thinking like yours, you might have a bright future at the Treasury.

No, I don't want a job at the treasury - unless I could look after the gold reserves and relocate to Switzerland !

I agree that the system is at the point of crashing - how & when I don't know - perhaps inflationary - but my view is that once this bubble bursts it isn't going to reinflate - hence the dystopian future for us all !

hence the dystopian future for us all !

Personally I'm quite looking forward to living a 'Mad Max' lifestyle. Gotta be more fun than working in an office, and you won't have to worry about saving for a pension.

Personally I'm quite looking forward to living a 'Mad Max' lifestyle. Gotta be more fun than working in an office, and you won't have to worry about saving for a pension.

I take it you've read James Kunstler's "Long Emergency"? Nice description of a post-oil world, if very US-centred.

Pretty terrifying to live through (if you can) but I would imagine life for those that remain would be a whole lot more honest than the ******** that surrounds us today.

On a tangent, I had a an odd daydream yesterday thinking that maybe the "terror threat" had been cooked up by radical greens trying to battle against the lunacy of escalating air travel. But no, it looks like the usual suspects are being fingered. When are people going to learn that religion is dead? Come and join us in the 21st century guys and we can fight for something that *actually exists* !

f ckin A. Cant wait. Bring it on. Real life, real living back again. Catching your dinner. Being chased by gangs of marauding shaven headed motorcyclists(scots probably). Driving around in a V8, eating tinned dogfood. I have myself prepared for the comong dystopia, and will be ahead of the game, by burying some guns, plenty of ammo, rabbit snares and tins of dog food in a sealed box up in Kielder forest. Hopefully those wolves in Kingussie in the Cairngorms escape too just to add to the excitment.

Hello fellow HPC members -

In the past 5 years interest rates have been low, stock markets & property prices have risen - not rocket science I'm sure you'd agree - its all happened before.

A factor which you should bear in mind is the price of oil which has also risen in tandem with house & stock market prices - oil (or energy) is the key 'motor' of Capitalism - without it there would be no growth.

Perhaps we can safely say that prices are 'pegged' at these levels from now on - there has been a shift in Global Asset prices. A house which cost £500 in 1930 now costs £250k - that's the type of shift I mean - do HPC members assume houses will reduce back to 1930's levels - as long as oil is scarce then asset prices must remain high.

Maybe we will see hyperinflation or stagflation because our governments will need to maintain their economic systems by keeping the system 'liquid' with more money so we can all consume products & services and hence 'recycle' our labour back into the economy.

However, I do feel that the wheels will eventually fall off when high oil prices prevent further economic growth - when this will happen I don't know. Peak Oil is a factor which you should all consider -

Also, this effect will probably be coupled with environmental degredation, causing crop failures, population shifts, etc., within the next 50 years.

All in all I feel that we won't be able to extrapolate past events into the future from now on as our total economic system will be subject to immense changes within the next generation.

Perhaps the 'Golden Age' is over and we were all lucky to have lived in the most prosperous times humanity has ever known and now we may have to brace ourselves for a dystopian future in an imaginary place or state in where the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.

Sorry to be pessimistic or should I say realistic ??

14th MAY 05 (the board doesnt give an exact time)

:huh: Now you really do live up to your name

:lol::lol:

2+2=5