House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Reuters Photo Doctoring Scandal

Anyone who believes what they see in the papers in the Photoshop era is deluding themselves: I remember a few years ago seeing a comparison of the same photo printed in several papers, showing what they'd removed from it.

Mind you, another view from a colleague:

'This is from an ultra right-wing US blog though innit, this whole ‘reuters are unfairly targetting israel’ thing is nonsense being happily spread by the rabidly pro-Israel conservatives of the US to try and counter the continuous news of Israeli war crimes coming out of Lebanon – the only thing of note was a ( very badly) photoshopped image which only served to make an existing explosion in a residential area look bigger, though this was no doubt a misguided attempt to make his photo more saleable (he was a freelancer, not a reuters staff photographer) - the other ‘hoaxes’ are fallacies. The simple facts on the ground are that a least a thousand Lebanese civilians, a third of them children, have been killed by so-called ‘precision’ munitions such as cluster and incendiary bombs, hundreds of civilian infrastructure locations such as power stations, schools, hospitals and bridges have been destroyed, and half a million people have been forced out of their homes by an Israeli assault on a few thousand Lebanese guerrillas. (Israeli civilian casualties number about 30 by the way, which while harsh is not much in comparison – in fact many more Israeli soldiers than Israeli civilians have died in the current conflict, while for Lebanese it is by far the other way around). So no, I wouldn’t say one badly photoshopped image represents the media ‘pulling the wool’ over our eyes...'

Photos have been manipulated since photography was invented, the idea from that webpage that Routers is involved in some kind of conspiracy with hezobolla is just laughable.

In 1997 shortly after the Labour party victory I was photographed with some friends dancing at a music festival in Finsbury park, London. We were very surprised to find ourselves in the daliy telegraph the next day illustrating the story "Loonie left let off the leash". The image caption said something like "Labour supporters celebrate election victory".

W*nkers!!!

Also, don't forget that you don't even need to doctor newspaper images to change what they say. Remember the famous 'happy Iraqui crowds toppling Saddam's statue' photo which later turned out to be a few dozen people and a load of US squaddies... looks great in closeup, but really pathetic in the wide shots that were released later.

Mind you, another view from a colleague:

'This is from an ultra right-wing US blog though innit, this whole ‘reuters are unfairly targetting israel’ thing is nonsense being happily spread by the rabidly pro-Israel conservatives of the US to try and counter the continuous news of Israeli war crimes coming out of Lebanon – the only thing of note was a ( very badly) photoshopped image which only served to make an existing explosion in a residential area look bigger, though this was no doubt a misguided attempt to make his photo more saleable (he was a freelancer, not a reuters staff photographer) - the other ‘hoaxes’ are fallacies. The simple facts on the ground are that a least a thousand Lebanese civilians, a third of them children, have been killed by so-called ‘precision’ munitions such as cluster and incendiary bombs, hundreds of civilian infrastructure locations such as power stations, schools, hospitals and bridges have been destroyed, and half a million people have been forced out of their homes by an Israeli assault on a few thousand Lebanese guerrillas. (Israeli civilian casualties number about 30 by the way, which while harsh is not much in comparison – in fact many more Israeli soldiers than Israeli civilians have died in the current conflict, while for Lebanese it is by far the other way around). So no, I wouldn’t say one badly photoshopped image represents the media ‘pulling the wool’ over our eyes...'

I think your colleague is bang on the money here. Personally I don't give a stuff whether some of the images were staged. The fact is that the 'actor' depicted in one of the photos was holding a dead child. Whether or not he is an actor is largely irrelvant, the fact is that this kid is dead. Just checked out the link for this expose, the website is simply a Jewish resource site which propogates hatred and antagonism of Muslims. The lates addition being massive series images of the prophet Muhammad. Undoubtedly intended to cause offence and outrage. Personally I'm agnostic so no axe to grind here.

Awesome info fellas.

if you think the nice powerful industries (govt and power) are on our side seriously vomit on this.

selling aids infected blood to France, Spain and Japan.

http://prisonplanet.com/articles/july2006/120706Bayer.htm

I'll not comment on the media coverage.

I want to but I'd be banned from the site.

Edited by music man