House Price Crash Forum

Static Homes

penguin

HOLA441

hi im desperate to get any kind of property i can just to call it my own place and not have to think that its a landlords, even if its a shoe box but affordability is obviously a big issue, im looking at getting a mobile home which is like bigger than where i live and its only like 25-35k and thats for like most static/mobile homes, anyone else got one? im worried that if i dont get one now then the prices on these will go up.

as prices on houses keep going up and people look for alternatives i fear that these are next on the list and im worried that all the prices on these will shoot up meaning i will miss out again on owning my own place, what peeps opinions? anybody got one they rent out? good return on it?

itl be in dorset alongside the jurrasic coast

regards

HOLA442

hi im desperate to get any kind of property i can just to call it my own place and not have to think that its a landlords, even if its a shoe box but affordability is obviously a big issue, im looking at getting a mobile home which is like bigger than where i live and its only like 25-35k and thats for like most static/mobile homes, anyone else got one? im worried that if i dont get one now then the prices on these will go up.

as prices on houses keep going up and people look for alternatives i fear that these are next on the list and im worried that all the prices on these will shoot up meaning i will miss out again on owning my own place, what peeps opinions? anybody got one they rent out? good return on it?

regards

Why buy a static home? I lived on a canal boat for 18 months in 1999/2000 and you can buy a very comfortable boat for about 30K. I sold that, lived overseas for a while and now live in a touring caravan. Paid 6K for it, has central heating, shower, cooker, fridge, an aircon and I have a lovely view. No need to worry about council tax, tv licence and all the other crap that goes with owning a static house. Costs me about £350 per month all in so I save around £1.5 to 2K per month. Touring caravans arn't a good investment though, I reckon mine will depreciate about 1k per year untill it is worth about 2 to 2.5K then it all depends on condition.

I wouldn't buy a house if they halved in value.

HOLA443
HOLA444

regards

If you were really a bear you would realise that property prices would be coming down as interest rates rise and the economy begins to fail. Why then would you consider a mobile home and at the same time state that you think the prices of mobile homes will be shooting up?

HOLA445

One word...don't do it.

I know that's three words but I had to get the message across. :D

The majority of the price of property is in the land. This you will be renting. A caravan (that is basically what it is) will deteriorate very quickly and when it no longer looks 'pretty' the owner of the land will ask you to remove it

Jurassic coast- excellent choice of location, I'm going there tomorrow for the umpteenth time, put the kettle on for me.

The canal boat is a better option imo but still not too good. Moving inland a bit will shave stacks off the price down there but may not help resale.

Good luck.

HOLA446
Guest grumpy-old-man

regards

is it just me....I think he is being sarcastic...re-read his post.

HOLA447
HOLA448

One word...don't do it.

I know that's three words but I had to get the message across. :D

The majority of the price of property is in the land. This you will be renting. A caravan (that is basically what it is) will deteriorate very quickly and when it no longer looks 'pretty' the owner of the land will ask you to remove it

Jurassic coast- excellent choice of location, I'm going there tomorrow for the umpteenth time, put the kettle on for me.

The canal boat is a better option imo but still not too good. Moving inland a bit will shave stacks off the price down there but may not help resale.

Good luck.

At least a canal boat won't be affected by global warming and rising sea levels!

Clangnuts

HOLA449

No need to worry about council tax, tv licence and all the other crap that goes with owning a static house.

I think you have to have a TV license whatever you live in. I read somewhere that even if you have one of those Sat-Navs with TV function in your car that you have to have a TV license, even if you don't have a TV in the house.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest grumpy-old-man

what are you getting at you grupy old git? sarcasm? do you need glasses? my post was a simple paragraph or two about purchasing a static home

sorry penguinsnow, didn't mean to offend if it was a genuine question :)

Also I wouldn't invest in any type of property at the moment, although I can't really comment as I don't know you exact situation.

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA4412

regards

You can buy a static home for around about £6000.00 but then you have to pay a site rent which can vary depending on where you want it. I lived in a static while I built my first house, it was fine and saved me ££££.

Narrow boats are also great but cost a lot more and you'll need to keep it maintained. I plumbed in a webasto oil fired heater on a friends boat a few months back and the boiler came in at over £1000.00 which is more expensive than a worcester.

The other option is to consider a kit home for example: http://www.skyehomes.co.uk/ which is the next step up while your living in your static...or http://www.channel4.com/4homes/diyandbuild.../kit_homes.html

HOLA4413

what are you getting at you grupy old git? sarcasm? do you need glasses? my post was a simple paragraph or two about purchasing a static home

Your paragraph is not so simple. You say you are a bear but you also say you are worried that even static caravans will increase too much in the future. Do you mean that the land they can be located on will increase or do you mean the caravan itself?

Have any of the replies here helped you reach a conclusion?

HOLA4414

regards

you don't opwn the land.. you have no rights to the land and the unit itself is cardboard ..

You won't get a mortgage.. even Northern Rock would laugh at you..