House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
penguin

Dorset

its quite bad around here, all the houses seem to be going pretty damm quick, im renting at the moment and am desperate to get on the ladder but just cant get on it cus simply dont earn enough, im only on 12k a year!, i dont wanna leave this area cus its close to the coast, most famously the jurrasic coast, but most around here are going like 200k plus, ul be lucky to get change ffrom a 150k for a flat, altho i did see one for 90k, dorsets such a lovely place to live and im adimant i wont get forced out by high prices, im just saving like mad at the moment and hoping that one day these prices will tumble so can actually get a flat or house which is a realistic price, not sum way over the top price which unfortunatly people seem to be paying to live here.

its quite bad around here, all the houses seem to be going pretty damm quick, im renting at the moment and am desperate to get on the ladder but just cant get on it cus simply dont earn enough, im only on 12k a year!, i dont wanna leave this area cus its close to the coast, most famously the jurrasic coast, but most around here are going like 200k plus, ul be lucky to get change ffrom a 150k for a flat, altho i did see one for 90k, dorsets such a lovely place to live and im adimant i wont get forced out by high prices, im just saving like mad at the moment and hoping that one day these prices will tumble so can actually get a flat or house which is a realistic price, not sum way over the top price which unfortunatly people seem to be paying to live here.

i know what you mean.here on portland houses under £150.000 on gone within days

5 years ago average houses were 50 to 60 grand!!!

we too are saving like mad but dont seem to be anywhere near a depoist,plus the high rent doesnt help lol

Edited by smythsan

hello fellow dorset friend!

nice to see someone from my neck of the woods

i cant see prices dipping around here especially with the olympics in 2012

too true but how are we to get everyone on and of the island is going to be fun lol

iam just hoping interest rates rise again and that might stop all the buy to lets!!!

we are in private rented and get housing benefit of 63p a week dont know what i do

without that !!!!

what happens after the olympics will be interesting thats if we are around still for that

It's a London an coffin dodger thing- both these groups are flooding in and pricing locals out- I'm from Poole originally and I can't find anything decent and I ain't paying into some out of county BTLer's pension.

I'm amazed that places like Portland can command them sort of prices- has there been a massive increase in work in west dorset or what? Everytime I've been over to Dorchester, Weymouth way there is hardly any industry to speak of.

Double or tripple council tax for holiday homes and 2nd houses would help I recon.

It's a London an coffin dodger thing- both these groups are flooding in and pricing locals out- I'm from Poole originally and I can't find anything decent and I ain't paying into some out of county BTLer's pension.

I'm amazed that places like Portland can command them sort of prices- has there been a massive increase in work in west dorset or what? Everytime I've been over to Dorchester, Weymouth way there is hardly any industry to speak of.

Double or tripple council tax for holiday homes and 2nd houses would help I recon.

what about if you had to live in the location you wanted to buy in for a mininum of 5 years before??

i can see lots of reasons why this wouldnt work but its a idea???

it would make people buy a house for the reason it should be A HOME

:lol:

with the run up to the olympics i can just see themedia presenting portland as some kind of magical place tyo live and turn it into some kind of mega rich island, along way to go tho yet lol

That would be an idea- at least make people stop and think before buying.

What pi$$es me off is a lot of these second homers seem to be living in a parallel universe where having a job and earning money isn't an issue.

Dorset needs a strong economy and business- houses are too expensive for local wages and land is worth more if you build cr@ppy retirement flats. This means the pressure on commercial property is huge with a 2000sqft workshop type building going for £250,000+

London has it's own specific economy which is different to the rest of the country

hello sunseekers (pun intended)

I think th BTL market is doing ok a lot of students and foreign workers willing to pay the rents so properties are being sold

Got a lot of portugese, spanish, italian, polish etc in bournemouth and boscombe areas... who like the beaches

No hope for the FTB i conceed

Edited by notanewmember

Bournemouth University built a huge new halls of residence a few years back which soaks up a lot of the student demand.

There are a lot of foreign lanuguage students which do have an impact. Polish workers tend to command a below average wage so take up the bottom end of the market.

Outside these two groups supply of rental flats way exceeds demand. If you drive around Bournemouth the place is festooned with to let signs. From what I'm hearing rents are actually dropping due to oversupply.

Bournemouth & Poole rely on the Insurance and financial service industries for most employment- and a lot of these jobs are going overseas.

If you want to live in Boscombe then you can still find the odd reasonable place- but as any local will tell you there is a reason Boscombe is cheaper.

Once things start to bite all the BTL landlords who visited Bournemouth and thought "gosh, wouldn't it be nice to have a flat here and get someone else to pay the mortgage" will come unstuck.

I have a mate who's brother in law is a county court baliff in Bournemouth and 90% of his work at the moment is BTL repos.

Hang in there and bide your time :D

Thanks for the positives

They are about to build more luxurary apartments in front of boscombe pier - what now is the car park will be 1 bed and 2 bed and penthouses. A big orange sign says this. They sold the car park to fund redevelopment of the pier itself. It will be interesting to see if these flats will sell - hopefully they wont by the time they are erected

Edited by notanewmember

Thanks for the positives

They are about to build more luxurary apartments in front of boscombe pier - what now is the car park will be 1 bed and 2 bed and penthouses. A big orange sign says this. They sold the car park to fund redevelopment of the pier itself. It will be interesting to see if these flats will sell - hopefully they wont by the time they are erected

theres also new luxuery apartments being built in fortuneswell on portland

over 300 flats are being built prices ranging from £165.000

great when the average wage is cr*p, single parents are on the up(not fault of anybodys) and most people are on the national wage

have to stop feeding the kids for a couple of years and might get a dopoist together lol

Yep, Dorset is an average economy paying average wages- the further West you go the worse it gets. Whatever jobs are available have been got with gov incentives- especially Portland way.

So, for locals it looks like we're going back to the 19th century- renting from absent landlords- mainly from that there London.

Even if people actually buy an move lock stock from London they're in for a dissapointment- if you have to find work here you won't find many jobs paying the wages you'd need to fund big house prices.

The situation in barmy and can't go on- the obvious question is where are the wages to pay big mortgages?- there aren't any so things must change.

It's a London and coffin dodger thing- both these groups are flooding in and pricing locals out- I'm from Poole originally and I can't find anything decent and I ain't paying into some out of county BTLer's pension.

Hi Dorset people , just to let you know we are STR , and will be eventually moving to Ferndown within 2 years , so thats more London people moving down :) , had this place marked out a few years ago , it will be onto the estate that Wollaton Road goes around built about 40 years ago , so NOT modern new build rubbish , houses we're interested in are between 260k -280k , they have dropped in the last couple of years { nethouseprice. com }, i'll wait till there at least under 250k {1% stamp duty then } then i'll start to be interested . Oh , and your love this bit , we're not to worried about jobs as we're CASH buyers , so vendors will be falling over themselves to please us , a number of people we know have already moved down to the Bournemouth area over the last few years so we won't be alone .

People have always moved out of the big cities/towns to go west or elsewhere , but the reason why so many more are doing this now is because the areas they grew up in like me are just sh1t , packed with immigrants and foreign speaking people , crime is every where , no where to go unless you drive out , my eldest is 7 she now has 4 children in her class that can't speak english , THAT IS IN HER CLASS ALONE , the whole class is very ethnic AS IT IS , no more nativity plays at this school , guess why ?,go to your local GP and it's full of immigrants or chav sh1t sitting in the waiting room , the hospital should be known as the Commonwealth Hospital , i've always had ethnic friends but it's a question of balance and it's out of control , even my ethnic friends can sense the tension , so we move out , oh and before you say there are bad bits down here i know Boscombe is a dump , very sad that , and a couple of estates in Poole are not to clever , Ferndown has the Tricketts cross area but thats a lot private ownend now , but we're not snobs anyway my mrs comes from a large family who still live on a council estate up here .

You also might like to know that up here in OUTER North London , the place is flooded with new flats at stewwwpid prices , and there not selling very well , whilst others have To Let signs outside for weeks on end :lol: , and guess what there building even more , also FTB'ers are sadly priced out here to , it's the same here people might earn more but the properties cost that much more , hence they are unaffordable for them as well , but the good news is that despite all the spin it's a dead market around here , and only just enough houses are selling to keep the EA's ticking over , many are selling for less than they would of 2 years , but it's not a crash yet more of a slipage

Edited by grey shark

Hi Dorset people , just to let you know we are STR , and will be eventually moving to Ferndown within 2 years , so thats more London people moving down :) , had this place marked out a few years ago , it will be onto the estate that Wollaton Road goes around built about 40 years ago , so NOT modern new build rubbish , houses we're interested in are between 260k -280k , they have dropped in the last couple of years { nethouseprice. com }, i'll wait till there at least under 250k {1% stamp duty then } then i'll start to be interested . Oh , and your love this bit , we're not to worried about jobs as we're CASH buyers , so vendors will be falling over themselves to please us , a number of people we know have already moved down to the Bournemouth area over the last few years so we won't be alone .

People have always moved out of the big cities/towns to go west or elsewhere , but the reason why so many more are doing this now is because the areas they grew up in like me are just sh1t , packed with immigrants and foreign speaking people , crime is every where , no where to go unless you drive out , my eldest is 7 she now has 4 children in her class that can't speak english , THAT IS IN HER CLASS ALONE , the whole class is very ethnic AS IT IS , no more nativity plays at this school , guess why ?,go to your local GP and it's full of immigrants or chav sh1t sitting in the waiting room , the hospital should be known as the Commonwealth Hospital , i've always had ethnic friends but it's a question of balance and it's out of control , even my ethnic friends can sense the tension , so we move out , oh and before you say there are bad bits down here i know Boscombe is a dump , very sad that , and a couple of estates in Poole are not to clever , Ferndown has the Tricketts cross area but thats a lot private ownend now , but we're not snobs anyway my mrs comes from a large family who still live on a council estate up here .

You also might like to know that up here in OUTER North London , the place is flooded with new flats at stewwwpid prices , and there not selling very well , whilst others have To Let signs outside for weeks on end :lol: , and guess what there building even more , also FTB'ers are sadly priced out here to , it's the same here people might earn more but the properties cost that much more , hence they are unaffordable for them as well , but the good news is that despite all the spin it's a dead market around here , and only just enough houses are selling to keep the EA's ticking over , many are selling for less than they would of 2 years , but it's not a crash yet more of a slipage

good luck to you and your family

we moved to the south from leicester 11 years ago and never looked back

i know exactly were your coming from (thats why we moved)

you are also buying a family home,not half a dozen 2 beds to let out

i hope your move goes well

all the best

Small world. Myself and wife and 2 young children are also planning to move to the SW for the very same reasons. Everything is so f**ked up where we are that school costs alone will run us 20k a year plus the immigrants and crime etc. We were going to take a pay cut and new jobs but now my company will let me telecomute so no problem. Lots of others I know are trying all they can to do this same thing so I think this area will hold its own or maybe even go up............................

What can I say..... I'm thrilled :angry:

Still it's my fault silly me I thought I might be able to afford to live in the area I was born in and where all my family and friends are. Been in the Ferndown area all my life.

You'll love this bit- waiting for prices in Ferndown to drop so you can save your stamp duty will never happen. In fact 250 grand isn't going to get you anywhere decent for very much longer. <_< Most decent places need a 3 in front of the 50 not a 2.

Still you could always try Tricketts Cross- which by the way is still mostly council or HA owned- the people living there haven't suddenly become minted- when I was a kid all the poorer kids lived in Tricketts- and guess what- their Mum's and Dad's still do.

Still it's my fault silly me I thought I might be able to afford to live in the area I was born in and where all my family and friends are. Been in the Ferndown area all my life.

Its the other way around with me, can afford to still live in the place I was born but the place isn't the same anymore and resembles a third world these days..........................

What can I say..... I'm thrilled :angry:

You'll love this bit- waiting for prices in Ferndown to drop so you can save your stamp duty will never happen. In fact 250 grand isn't going to get you anywhere decent for very much longer. <_< Most decent places need a 3 in front of the 50 not a 2.

Still you could always try Tricketts Cross- which by the way is still mostly council or HA owned- the people living there haven't suddenly become minted- when I was a kid all the poorer kids lived in Tricketts- and guess what- their Mum's and Dad's still do.

Sun n sea ,

having read your earlier posts on this thread it's clear your angry and bitter but thats understandable given the current housing climate and your situation , i tried to explain earlier why we and others are leaving the towns and cities , 2 others followed with similar tales , but your not INTERESTED or don't UNDERSTAND , i'm truly sorry you can't find a place to buy , but it's exactly the same for FTB 'ers in London or indeed any where in the country VERY FEW CAN AFFORD TO BUY , as for saving a few quid on the stamp duty thats just a psycological buying point in my mind as it would be in others minds , and despite what you write about prices , the area we're interested in as i wrote earlier sell for 260k - 280k , the average discount is about 15k whilst other vendors are doing deals with the stamp duty check them out on Rightmove , Ferndown , NOT new build , 4 bed detached with garage put in price of 250 -290 and your see at least 10 come up { there always is } some are under offer whilst some have been on all year , as for Tricketts cross over two thirds of that is privately ownend i've been reliably informed so there are a lot of triers living there , i've driven round it enough as well { turn left at the chip shop on Turbary road } that estate is paradise compared to some round here , although i except there will be probably be a scum element living there , but those not so well off have to live somewhere but just cos they havn't got much doesn't mean there rubbish , i come from low grade stock myself , no privelaged background here , anyway Tricketts is almost 2 miles away from where i'm looking .

Ferndown has 8 estate agents , as i'm surrrre you know and they just love a CASH buyer , even more so at the moment , they won't care if your from London , Iraq , Somalia or even Tricketts cross :lol: , the colour of your money is all there interested in , maybe there the scum elemant i just mentionend , i wonder if there still be 8 agents in a couple of years time , as you can read i've done my research ............OK .

Oh , before i forget your gonna love this bit , i could on my kids lives buy 3 of those above mentionend houses for cash , as for the saving of the stamp duty it's peanuts i just don't want to be ripped off by the government it sorta leaves a bad taste in yer mouth 2.5k is ok but giving them b@rstards 7.5k + is robbery . I'm going to the Ferndown area at the end of the month for the umpteenth time , i know exactly what will be there and what i'll find , i'll let you know how we get on . Finally lets both hope for a housing correction and get things back to a fair playing field , even if we do have differant agenda's but our cause is just the same .

SMTYHSAN , thanx for your supportive words , many , many, many others feel the same .

WHITE RABBIT , i read your posts last week against the politically correct Wrongmove , you were 100% correct thats why he failed to answer you . I think ? he works in a university if thats the case then he's at a higher risk of being detached from the real world anyway :lol: .

http://www.thisisbournemouth.co.uk/search/...ng_timebomb.php

HOUSING TIMEBOMB

POOLE is facing a housing crisis after being named the most unaffordable place in the UK to buy a home

Property prices are 12.4 times the local income, says a new report ranking house prices by local authority area.

THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD: It is feared key workers' like nurses, teachers and council staff will be forced to desert Poole for more affordable areas

Gemma Gaughan, 21, of Ringwod Road, said: "We can only just afford to rent a place.

Storing up problems for the future??? Its already happening.

Edited by notanewmember

hence

http://www.thisisbournemouth.co.uk/search/...in_by_plane.php

Migrant workers are flocking in by plane

SCORES of workers from Scotland and northern England are flying into Bournemouth Airport each week to combat a chronic shortage of labour in Poole.

Unfortunately she added that the knock-on effect for the local economy is that much of the income generated through wages is not being spent in the borough, but is going outside the region.

Crazy situation huh?

Who says I'm bitter?

I'm talking about an area I've lived in all my life. I do know there are 8 estate agents in Ferndown but over 50% of these are new guys jumping on the bandwagon. If you take the Wellstead and Wellstead the one where the post office used to be- across the road from that was Pearsons who went bust as the market wasn't shifting.

I never said there was scum at tricketts- I know loads of people who live in tricketts and have done for generations- just hard working local people surviving on local wages.

I do realise that London is a $hite hole- if you ask me it always has been- I hate the place.

If you could buy three houses in Ferndown then I'm sure someone will bite your hand off- no doubt. I know someone with a plot of land for sale up near Amesford road if you're interested.

If roles were reversed and I moved the other way and priced you and yours out would you be happy? would you? Of course you wouldn't. That's why I'm not happy. I like it here and all my family and mates are here, my business is based here, I want to stay living here.

If the situation carries on a lot of local people are going to be seriously unhappy- once you get settled here with your kids you'll probably take the same view.

When people can't afford to buy homes where their roots are it's a seriously bad thing.

The situation is endemic accross dorset, Local people are priced out - its on a massive scale. Not just buying, but renting a decent place.

I know people all accross poole, westbourne, christchurch, bournemouth, new milton, ringwood, barton on sea. Lots of young people cannot afford places of there own. They are either living with parents, or paying extortionate rents for small 1 bed flat places (2 sharing).

The rich have got richer, and the working class just got beaten down even further.

Edited by notanewmember

Yeah, and that blows a fecking big hole into HMS Buy to Let- as notanewmember says you can ask what you like for your rental property but lots of local people can't afford to rent let alone buy.

Average wages are quoted at 20 grand but if you actually look in the jobs section of the Bournemouth Evening Echo on a thursday you will find a huge percentage of jobs paying a lot less than this.

Somethings got to give!!