House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TwinkleToes

Estate Agents Windows

Extremely new to this forum, enjoyed reading whats been posted .... but it's struck me that all you need to do to find out what is happening regarding the housing market is look in an EA's window.

I looked in one yesterday and saw on many of the houses for sale:

- price reduction

- 3% stamp duty paid

- 50% house share

- back on the market

etc. etc.

Everyday I walk past this EA and everyday seems there is more offers going on to houses to attract attention. I think that says it all really. EA's seem to know whats coming and are trying to get buyers in now with all these offers....? what do you think?

Anyone else seeing this?

I had some bad luck and had to sell my house a couple of years ago, and I am now renting, made a bit of cash to see me through, but on hind sight it may not have been a bad thing really, looking to buy again in a couple of years ago, so I am keenly watching what is happening and hoping that prices will be eith re-adjusted to sensible affordable levels, or a HPC.

In my area a large new development of smallish linked houses and flats has just put up FOR RENT signs! The builder got zero sales and now has to rent them.

IMO, a major indicator is when the For Sale OR rent signs start to appear.

In my area a large new development of smallish linked houses and flats has just put up FOR RENT signs! The builder got zero sales and now has to rent them.

Like this place. Although not a new development, what does this tell you?

Rent - http://www.homesonview.co.uk/hov/BOYDCOLC/BCP01303.htm

Buy - http://www.homesonview.co.uk/Scripts/FullD...PropID=BCP02478

i always have a peep into the window and for the last year they have been empty of people.

i always look at the prices in the window and let them see a slight sneer, before i walk away sometimes shaking my head.

the prices are laughable.

In my area a couple of houses are 'for sale'/'for rent' both. Owners are trying their luck everywhere

In my area a couple of houses are 'for sale'/'for rent' both. Owners are trying their luck everywhere

Seen a few around myself, can't say I can see the point. Who would want to rent a house knowing that the owner wants to sell asap, just going to be aggro with buyers looking around etc.

i always have a peep into the window and for the last year they have been empty of people.

i always look at the prices in the window and let them see a slight sneer, before i walk away sometimes shaking my head.

the prices are laughable.

Thats not very nice Fred , but just the sort of thing i would do , some pleasing posts on this thread :)

I have been studying the local (SE18) prices for a few months now in great detail, and I have seen next to nothing selling except the real low end stuff, sub 200k.

There was an obscene boost in asking prices around 4 months back, synchronized across all the agents.

And whatever they were trying to achieve has seriously backfired.

I will continue window shopping, and avoiding the tumbleweeds.

A local estate agent now has a three for two offer. What this means is a three bedroom house for the price of a two bedroom house. However, they fail to state the exact point in time where a typical two bedroom house was priced the same as the three bedroom houses that are offered as three for two.

In one of the areas I watch (prime BTL) you can see the same two bed terraces back on the market either every 6 months or every 12 months as the vendor decides to try their luck (e.g. "If I can get £179k for it, I'll sell it") - I presume they then get a tenant, and then another 6 months later back it comes for sale again... and again...

One estate is hardly representative of the country but this does not suggest to me that these people are "in it for the long term".

The effect it has is to raise the average asking price quite radically, since these vendors are just "fishing". Nobody actually buys the properties, they then buy instead the ones which are for sale 30k cheaper (at market value). Looks good on the Rightmove stats though: I could easily see how that area would have an average asking price of £190k but an average selling price of £155k since it is so widespread.

Guest muttley

Which area Mark? I think we're neighbours, aren't we?

Did you notice that they have started building on the Whitegate Dr site?

Which area Mark? I think we're neighbours, aren't we?

The scum of the Earth area we used to live in: CM17 (Church Langley, in Harlow, Essex - prime London commuter location)

We live just off the Bispham road near to Warbreck Hill Road.

I saw that: it appears to have been bought by another company now. The empty plot up the road where the bridge crosses next to the biscuit factory doesn't seem to be seeing much action.

I act for a number of property developers and sales of new homes are certainly falling. The classic developer's trick to sell a house is to pay the Stamp Duty (now called SDLT by the way) and offer carpets etc. The reason the developer does this is to keep the headline price the same but this has the effect of skewing the average house price figures for new homes because the actual deal is usually 3 or 4% lower than the figure the Land Registry reports.

I have noticed estate agents in my area (wimbledon) at work at 7 o'clock in the morning when I'm on my way to work! And again at 8-8.30 at night there are still EAs in the office. I walk past them everyday on the way to and from work and they never used to work so early or late. I assume most EAs rely on commission, so it seems they are having to work a lot harder to make some money.

Guest muttley

I saw that: it appears to have been bought by another company now. The empty plot up the road where the bridge crosses next to the biscuit factory doesn't seem to be seeing much action.

Warbreck Gardens! I hadn't noticed that until tonight. Next to a railway line and opposite a biscuit factory. No wonder there's no interest.