House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bart of Darkness

Merry Christmas Everybody

Guest Bart of Darkness

Christmas arrives early in the Capital.

Link.

Christmas officially arrived in London on Tuesday as one retailer ignored the hot weather and got into the festive spirit.

Launching its 15,000 sq ft 'Christmas World', Harrods reminded customers they have only 139 shopping days left before December 25.

Only 139 shopping days left? And here's me typing this message when I could be out spending?

I can't quite work out whether this "story" reeks of desperation or not? Any thoughts?

Guest muttley

Only 139 shopping days left

Why are people still talking about "shopping days"? With shops open every day can't we just say "139 days left to Christmas"?

Christmas arrives early in the Capital.

Link.

Only 139 shopping days left? And here's me typing this message when I could be out spending?

I can't quite work out whether this "story" reeks of desperation or not? Any thoughts?

Who gives a toss, by Christmas the UK economy will be in free fall. Interest rates will have climbed steadily and little Timmy’s parents will be looking forward to Christmas in a squat because their house has been repossessed by the bank as Timmy’s dads meagre £25K salary wasn't enough to pay the £300K mortgage on their former council house!

Guest Bart of Darkness

Who gives a toss, by Christmas the UK economy will be in free fall. Interest rates will have climbed steadily and little Timmy’s parents will be looking forward to Christmas in a squat because their house has been repossessed by the bank as Timmy’s dads meagre £25K salary wasn't enough to pay the £300K mortgage on their former council house!

And a happy New Year to you as well. :)

We have all noticed that shops have perpetual "Sales" these days so no doubt Christmas starting in August is another attempt to get people to borrow more money and spend spend spend!

The problem is that discretionary spending must dry up as fuel bills skyrocket, council tax beats even Gordon's CPI by 100%, train fares hit highest in the world, and as IR hikes begin to pile on even more debt. Christmas for many this year might be restricted to the traditional orange, pair of socks and a bottle of Eau d' Miracle Economy from Woolworths.

BTW, Costco, my favourite shop of all time, usually have short windows in which to buy stuff. They also sell to small businesses which is why there is a long lead time on seasonal gear. The other nice thing about Costco is their company policy of paying higher wages than anyone else in the same business. Their stock price has suffered because of this as their bottom line is affected of course.

Edited by Realistbear

Realist, I agree. Costco is excellent. When you compare the price difference between Costco and the High Street the difference is outstanding. One example. I went into Costco the other day to purchase a 1gb memory card for my digital camera. Costco price £29.99. Argos price £59.99 for the same card. Jessops were even dearer. In other words a 100% mark up.

My wife loves the place. She bought a top there for £13.50. The exact same item was for sale in the High Street at £44.99.

As for Costco's bakery..............

Realist, I agree. Costco is excellent. When you compare the price difference between Costco and the High Street the difference is outstanding. One example. I went into Costco the other day to purchase a 1gb memory card for my digital camera. Costco price £29.99. Argos price £59.99 for the same card. Jessops were even dearer. In other words a 100% mark up.

My wife loves the place. She bought a top there for £13.50. The exact same item was for sale in the High Street at £44.99.

As for Costco's bakery..............

I use the one in Star City-Birmingham and about a year ago it was quite empty on a Saturday. Last tie I went it was packed! They do not advertise and rely on word-of-mouth which suggests that word is getting out. I think I might buy some shares in COST for a long term bet as they are just getting going in Europe.

The bread is fantastic. Their "one-day" bread is out of this world but you do have to eat it within 24hours as they do not use preservatives. We buy Olive Oil there also and it is about half price. Philipps 32 inch LCD HD for 704 pounds etc etc.

I also love the samples they give away--last time it was whole prawns cooked in garlic butter, pate on white toast, Parva Ham.... Didn't need lunch! Then to top it off you can buy a cuppa for 25p.