House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
#scoobydoo#

Immigrants Pushing Up Rental Costs Also...

I have just moved to a new location that I thought would be much cheaper to rent in than it actually is. The rental agency told me they had no problems renting out properties in this area as theirs strong demand. I think I have discovered why, it appears that theirs at least six people from some eastern European country living in the flat above me in shall we say a compact two bed flat. They seem to come and go at all hours probably doing shift work at a local factory.

So far I haven’t been disturbed too much, but I am concerned as to who these people are, do they have the right to be working here, are they criminals in there county of origin and does health and safety permit six (at the last count) adults to live in a flat designed for at most 2 adults and 2 small kids.

Since I have moved to this area coming from Manchester I have noted that their is a large population of Eastern Europeans here, so I am guessing many flats/houses are packed solid with them at inflated rental rates. So how is one UK born and bred person on a single salary supposed to afford a modest 1bed / joke of a second bedroom flat if prices are being even more inflated by immigrants legal or illegal willing to live in such conditions?

It is my concern that immigration isn’t just lowering the standard of living in this country a little but will eventually bring it to that experienced in the third world. Can I report this to the local council anonymously and have them evicted? I am pissed off with having to pay more for a flat so immigrants can come here steal our jobs (pay a decent wage and plenty of people in this country will do it), lower our pay and conditions and push up the price of accommodation, and put an even greater strain on our already beleaguered social, health and material resources.

Pissed of UK Passport holder... :ph34r:

PS And the best way to reduce carbon emissions in the UK is too reduce the population density to that of France!!!

IMO current immigration policy is there to surpress wage inflation - pure and simple

In the process our council taxes and rents have risen and a new BTL class is flourishing (ie inflation) - this is in additional to recent global energy prices

All this to surpress demand and keep inflation down by lowering our standard of living (ie wages)

It hasn't worked - real inflation is still rising

The reason - people are unconciously borrowing to make up the shortfall between their static wages and rising inflation - so GB/BOE have now had to raise IR to surpress demand

What a mess....

Edited by dnd

This whole immigration subject really winds me up. What is wrong with our politicians, they are either really stupid or this is a big plan to completely screw over the British worker.

No one wants to tackle the subject as they are too scared to be labelled xenophobic or racist. It's not racist to have a sensible immigration policy its just sensible. Letting 1 million people into the UK in the space of just 2 years is simply crazy.

British people can be proud of being one of the few countries in the world that is truly multi cultural. (That was until Blair decided start a Christian crusade with George bush.)

Nonsense, can't see thousands of immigrants wanting to rent shiny new 2 bed apartments at enough to cover the BTL mortgages...as for the "6 poles in 1 bed flat" argument.....yawn..

Are you thick, please try and get out of your ignorant south of Birmingham financial frame of reference (£4 to £5 an hour goes a hell of a lot further in the north as I am guessing many immigrants already know!). The new shiny 2 bed flats in Hull are about £500 to £600 per month rent for flats costing £100K to £120K. So that’s is approximately £100 per polish person, if they earn say £5 an hour on a 40hr week they earn £800 a month before tax if they pay it!!! They can easily afford this and probably have more spare cash left over at the end of each month than I do to which they can then bypass spending into our economy by sending it home to Poland.

Are you thick, please try and get out of your ignorant south of Birmingham financial frame of reference (£4 to £5 an hour goes a hell of a lot further in the north as I am guessing many immigrants already know!). The new shiny 2 bed flats in Hull are about £500 to £600 per month rent for flats costing £100K to £120K. So that’s is approximately £100 per polish person, if they earn say £5 an hour on a 40hr week they earn £800 a month before tax if they pay it!!! They can easily afford this and probably have more spare cash left over at the end of each month than I do to which they can then bypass spending into our economy by sending it home to Poland.

Firstly, impressive debut, Bravo! OK, presumably these same agents you speak of know of the new legislation in relation to multi-occupancy? Secondly, I was born in Kirkdale, not Knightsbridge B) Thirdly I don't buy into any of this 'Sun reader' bollex in relation to immigration...er..that's it :)

Are you thick

Five posts and already name calling...

It is my concern that immigration isn’t just lowering the standard of living in this country a little but will eventually bring it to that experienced in the third world.

A few years ago, I had real trouble getting a not-exorbitantly-expensive plumber/electrician, much like when I really did live in the third world.

Now, it's still not cheap, but it's much improved, due to our friendly local Hungarian.

That particular immigrant has improved the standard of living in this country.

Jonny Foreigner is not resonsible for all your problems in life.

Firstly, impressive debut, Bravo! OK, presumably these same agents you speak of know of the new legislation in relation to multi-occupancy? Secondly, I was born in Kirkdale, not Knightsbridge B) Thirdly I don't buy into any of this 'Sun reader' bollex in relation to immigration...er..that's it :)

Sorry for snapping but I am a bit pissed off at the moment, I got through five years of university just like I was told I should (wish I was a self employed plumber or electrician) and now have a good graduate job, which pays well above the national average, yet it will take me years to pay off my student debts and save enough to make a decent deposit on a house and be able to afford a fixed interest rate mortgage.

Please can you tell me if you have any information on the multi-occupancy legislation to save me the hassle of drudging through google so that I can use it as ammunition when I contact the council?

Cheers

Five posts and already name calling...

A few years ago, I had real trouble getting a not-exorbitantly-expensive plumber/electrician, much like when I really did live in the third world.

Now, it's still not cheap, but it's much improved, due to our friendly local Hungarian.

That particular immigrant has improved the standard of living in this country.

Jonny Foreigner is not resonsible for all your problems in life.

It is the fault of this government and previous ones that we have bred and educated an inept popultation of people not able to carry out the most basic plumbing or electrical job. The reason tradesmen can charge so much is that the general population are so unwilling to get the finger out and do it ourselves. Yes you need to be Part P qaulified to do electrcial work but you can still do a lot of minor jobs yourself that are not coverered by Part P. As for plumbing a good book on the subject, a £20 toolkit from Argos and a visit to youe local plumb centre you can do almost any job yourself.

Do you think the friendly local Hungarian has lots of certificates and training, my **** if he does. Check his van for a copy of the readers digest book of DIY!!!

Sorry for snapping but I am a bit pissed off at the moment, I got through five years of university just like I was told I should (wish I was a self employed plumber or electrician) and now have a good graduate job, which pays well above the national average, yet it will take me years to pay off my student debts and save enough to make a decent deposit on a house and be able to afford a fixed interest rate mortgage.

Me too. Life is hard. I blame foreigners.

Do you think the friendly local Hungarian has lots of certificates and training, my **** if he does. Check his van for a copy of the readers digest book of DIY!!!

All I know is that I have neither the time not the inclination to do myself and that when he repairs something it stays repaired.

I couldn't care less how many certificates or how much training he need to become competent, but competent he is.

In London some councils will pay the going rate (or close) to place asylum seekers and other people on benefits in housing. Landlords love this as its guaranteed money! My ex girlfriend has a flat in W14 (Kensington) she paid 380k for it. Above her in a similar flat is a single mother asylum seeker and her child who allegedly had to flea their country all the way to England (funny how they didn't stop in any other European country on the way).

So my ex pays 1800 a month on her mortgage and studied for years to become a lawyer, works really hard and had to save for many years for a down payment.

Asylum seeker breaks the law (not going to the first safe country) comes to England for easy money, doesn't work and still can afford to live in the same building!

I guess the liberals call this fair?

Why does the fact that someone is East European make people assume they might be criminals? That's just xenophobic nonsense. I can't believe some of the tosh written about immigration on here. I appreciate that immigration may push up demand for housing but if it's also keeping wages down surely that's anti-inflationary to some extent? And ditto the point about plumbers. Not so long back people were retraining as plumbers because shortages made the wages so high.

Without claiming to be an expert, surely there are far more important factors pushing up housing costs than immigration (EG low interest rates, easy lending, greed, buy-to-let, people who think house prices will rise for ever, Brits' obsession with property ownership, silly newspaper stories, TV shows etc etc etc)

Without claiming to be an expert, surely there are far more important factors pushing up housing costs than immigration (EG low interest rates, easy lending, greed, buy-to-let, people who think house prices will rise for ever, Brits' obsession with property ownership, silly newspaper stories, TV shows etc etc etc)

I think those are all important factors for sure and immigration is another one to also consider on top. It definitly can't be dismissed as not having some kind of impact.

#scoobydoo#,

I'm with you.

Some people better be careful what work is done. One visit from the insurance claims assessor and finding out that controlled work has not been done by a registered/insured tradesperson and you can waive your claim or at the worst your house equity goodbye.

There are too ways trades can go now - either more controlled, more costs, more training, more certification, more insurance, taxed and legit - all with its associated pass-through cost; or black market, cash in hand and the homeowner knackered or the landlord in front of the beak if something goes wrong.

Rents have certainly edged up a touch in the last year or so after being static for several years. Not dramatic - just everything seems to be on for 800PCM that might have been 750 a year ago. Still, there still seems to be plenty of stuff that's 'to let' for several months so maybe the actual price you might pay hasn't risen that much.

However, family terraces are often being snapped up to be turned into overcrowded HMOs to cope with demand from people who can't afford normal rentals. Not just Eastern Europeans as many people on local wages can't afford to rent their own one bed flat but NuEU pressure has certainly been the driving force. Before the nuEU, lots of priced out young professionals were buying up these working class homes - the shortest bit of 'gentrification' ever as areas are fast becoming bedsitland.

By becoming a slumlord, a landlord can take a house that would rent for, say, 800PCM on the normal rental market, overcrowd it into five bedsits and rent each one for 350 quid.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

CrashedOutAndBurned

However, family terraces are often being snapped up to be turned into overcrowded HMOs to cope with demand from people who can't afford normal rentals. Not just Eastern Europeans as many people on local wages can't afford to rent their own one bed flat, but NuEU pressure has certainly been the driving force.

Only since 2004, prior to that the main driving force was student BTL, again same taxonomy - HMO with high density letting/overcrowding.

Just to make a point of reference many of the developers (even the big listed ones) pay various sorts immigrants included at £25 a day cash in hand for labouring on the sites. This is one method of quelling development costs hence generating larger profits.

The labourer pays no tax, no national insurance and in some cases even claims benefits, if you need proof go register as unemployed in Salford (Manchester) or some other similarly depressed area with high unemployment and huge new build developments. Get talking to some of the folks in the jobcentres tell them your looking for building work as a tradesman, see what happens.

Rut…..

Firstly, impressive debut, Bravo! OK, presumably these same agents you speak of know of the new legislation in relation to multi-occupancy?

What do you think these immigrants give a dam about red tape.

they will trash the place if you push them and then move on to the next one

Blair want's to see the "River of blood" come true i thinks as everyone i speak too is sick to the back teeth of blair flooding the country with more immigrants taking our jobs.

I have just moved to a new location that I thought would be much cheaper to rent in than it actually is. The rental agency told me they had no problems renting out properties in this area as theirs strong demand. I think I have discovered why, it appears that theirs at least six people from some eastern European country living in the flat above me in shall we say a compact two bed flat. They seem to come and go at all hours probably doing shift work at a local factory.

So far I haven’t been disturbed too much, but I am concerned as to who these people are, do they have the right to be working here, are they criminals in there county of origin and does health and safety permit six (at the last count) adults to live in a flat designed for at most 2 adults and 2 small kids.

Since I have moved to this area coming from Manchester I have noted that their is a large population of Eastern Europeans here, so I am guessing many flats/houses are packed solid with them at inflated rental rates. So how is one UK born and bred person on a single salary supposed to afford a modest 1bed / joke of a second bedroom flat if prices are being even more inflated by immigrants legal or illegal willing to live in such conditions?

It is my concern that immigration isn’t just lowering the standard of living in this country a little but will eventually bring it to that experienced in the third world. Can I report this to the local council anonymously and have them evicted? I am pissed off with having to pay more for a flat so immigrants can come here steal our jobs (pay a decent wage and plenty of people in this country will do it), lower our pay and conditions and push up the price of accommodation, and put an even greater strain on our already beleaguered social, health and material resources.

Pissed of UK Passport holder... :ph34r:

[size=2]PS And the best way to reduce carbon emissions in the UK is too reduce the population density to that of France!!!

[/size]

If we had the population density of France many problems could be solved

*Total carbon emission would be reduced over 50%

*Alternative energy solutions would be viable for 100% of needs

*Congestion would be a thing of the past

*More space could be allocated to recreational needs

*Wildlife and habitates could be allowed to flourish (we are not the only species on this planet)

*waste would be reduced

*Infrastructure could be improved with less demand on basic requirements

*Less demands on housing

*It would be possible to have a self sustaining economy (food production per head etc)

It would impact on most of the problems we face today

Yes you are correct immigration has been the major reason for increasing costs in basic infastructural needs including rental costs and the price of dwellings. Without this recent influx supply would have been greater than demand (very basic economics) so prices would have stayed the same/ fallen

[size=2]Bucephalus

Me too. Life is hard. I blame foreigners.[/size]

I understand your frustration but can you blame anyone wishing to make a "better" life for themselves in the UK? It is the Government who has the power to control immigration, so the blame lies squarely on their shoulders. Unfortunately this influx will cause more such reteric and worse (even if said with sarcasm or in jest)

Edited by Flat Bear

[/size][/b]

I understand your frustration but can you blame anyone wishing to make a "better" life for themselves in the UK? It is the Government who has the power to control immigration, so the blame lies squarely on their shoulders. Unfortunately this influx will cause more such reteric and worse (even if said with sarcasm or in jest)

This is exactly the point and you can't blame the immigrants I would do the same.

You can however blame the government however. I was listening to 5 Live a few months back and a guy was talking about Eastern Europeans queuing up in large numbers and some soup kitchen in London. The guy was arguing about the pressure put on councils etc. A labour guy retorted and said he had seen no 'black' people queuing up in said area and the guy was being racist. Where he got the idea of black people queing up I have no idea.

This just sums up what some people are like in the Labour Party they are the racist ones who haven't got a clue. I am far more integrated, liberal than they will ever be, I don't care where people are from. But I do want a country that is not to crowded, that has a nice environment and where I can afford housing, transport etc

[size=2]Bucephalus

Me too. Life is hard. I blame foreigners.[/size]

I don't actually blame foreigners. Read my posts!

Some people better be careful what work is done. One visit from the insurance claims assessor and finding out that controlled work has not been done by a registered/insured tradesperson and you can waive your claim or at the worst your house equity goodbye.

If by some people you mean me, don't worry: it was all done legally with adequate registration and insurance.

And non-registerted non-insured tradespeople did not appear overnight with the arrival of the former communist countires in te EU: plenty of plucky Brits thought of doing that on their own years ago!