House Price Crash Forum

We Are The Optimists

HOLA441

Posters on this forum are often called 'doomsayers'. But most of them just believe in cycles up, down, and up - not doom. The understanding of cycles means assurance that further booms will come, no matter how steep a collapse.

I am very optimistic about conditions in a decade or so - super-optimistic in fact. To be pessimistic about the coming bust is like a child being upset that it's got to go to bed, not understanding that that's a prerequisite for a bright, cheery morning.

It's not pessimism or optimism - it's relaxed, cheerful acceptance. It's wisdom.

Fine words, nothing like a beautiful sunny morning to raise the spirits. Hurrah I say.

HOLA442
Guest X-QUORK

Good point Durch. Too often on this site the bulls try to portray themselves as optimistic go-getters, and bears as deeply gloomy losers too afraid to take that big step onto the Ladder To Happiness And Wealth®.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Like beauty, doom is in the eye of the beholder. The idea of houses becoming affordable again must fill many hearts with joy. Although it may not be so fun for homeowners who thought they had got something for nothing.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Excellent! A fine portrayal of the HPC mind set.

Far from wanting to see home owners on their knees, eyes red with bitter tears of rage and faces contorted with fear and agony, desperately trying to decide whether to chop off their own head with a blunt umbrella or just leap off of the garden shed, face first, on to an upturned rake, we are but a peaceful group who only want to see a bit of common sense and proportionality on the behalf of the media / banks / EA’s.

BTL landlords on the other hand; first against the wall when the revolution comes if you ask me. They and their bank managers – that’ll teach you to ‘profit’ while really decent hard working folk descend in to self loathing and pity at their inability to buy a home to live in.

Live in! What a concept!

Imagine a world where being a land lord was something done by a small group of professionals (as renting is a must in some circumstances), and that the rest of the homes in the UK were full of people who really lived there!

Imagine the flowers in the gardens (and not the low maintenance gravel); imagine the pride when the next set of curtains go up (not even a hint of magnolia!); imagine the sudden and spontaneous changes being brought to your street someone decides to paint their home a new colour (with out having to write, in triplicate and with a legally binding schedule of works, to your land lord who couldn’t give too hoots anyhow, because they have only visited the street once). Imagine!

Bring on the correction! Let the slump redress the balance! There will be tears before bedtime, and many ‘asset rich’ will feel duped, but the children will still be happy, and we can be happy for them knowing that when they grow up they won’t have to move to Dudley.

And breathe….

OD

HOLA448

The BBC seems to enjoy using the phrase 'boom or gloom'. But boom is gloom for anyone trying to get on, or move up, the property ladder. The only ones who benefit from boom are the few who are downsizing, STRing or leaving the counrty... oh, and property investors, but they don't count as homes are nothing more than a specualtive vehicle to them.

No, I feel no joy seeing prices rise yet further, but prices faling to a level wher I too could afford a home... now that's real cause for celebration.

HOLA449
Guest grumpy-old-man

Posters on this forum are often called 'doomsayers'. But most of them just believe in cycles up, down, and up - not doom. The understanding of cycles means assurance that further booms will come, no matter how steep a collapse.

I am very optimistic about conditions in a decade or so - super-optimistic in fact. To be pessimistic about the coming bust is like a child being upset that it's got to go to bed, not understanding that that's a prerequisite for a bright, cheery morning.

It's not pessimism or optimism - it's relaxed, cheerful acceptance. It's wisdom.

careful now, you will be giving us bears a good name ;)

what's the bet the average age of a bull on here is 25 & the average age of a bear is 40.....& that 15 year difference of life experience is priceless.

disclaimer: all stats provided by GOM Ltd

HOLA4410

"Experts" believe prices are going to go up; "doomsters" believe prices are going to go down. Basic press manipulation/VI propaganda.

To be fair, lots of 'experts' predicted falls that didn't happen, so the media might feel justified in not calling them experts any more. Things will change when prices fall, then we will have experts predicting further falls and 'optimists' predicting a turnaround.

Birds are happy to see worms suffer. I am glad the dinosaurs were wiped out by an asteroid.

Actually, current theory says that bird-like dinosaurs survived and their descendants now fill the skies (and scoff worms).

HOLA4411

what's the bet the average age of a bull on here is 25 & the average age of a bear is 40.....& that 15 year difference of life experience is priceless.

I find I get more bullish the older I get.

My life experience has generally shown that those who simply 'do' tend to have prospered far better than the wait and see crowd.

Good point Durch. Too often on this site the bulls try to portray themselves as optimistic go-getters, and bears as deeply gloomy losers too afraid to take that big step onto the Ladder To Happiness And Wealth®.

There exists a proportion of property bears that fail to regocnise they are out and out pessimists.

They couldnt bring themselves to buy 3 years ago. There is no way they will buy if we get a deep recession. The all pervading gloom will be too much for them to overcome. They will simply not be able to see light at the end of the tunnel.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest grumpy-old-man

I find I get more bullish the older I get.

My life experience has generally shown that those who simply 'do' tend to have prospered far better than the wait and see crowd.

There exists a proportion of property bears that fail to regocnise they are out and out pessimists.

They couldnt bring themselves to buy 3 years ago. There is no way they will buy if we get a deep recession. The all pervading gloom will be too much for them to overcome. They will simply not be able to see light at the end of the tunnel.

theres always one isn't there :rolleyes:

I get your point about the "wait & see" crowd, I have always been a person who gambled in life & my wife tends to be more hesitant than me, probably why we get on so well.

But in times like this where it must be very obvious we are in a HPC & a major recession awaits round the corner, you don't have to be a bear to choose not to buy, just an intelligent bull ;)

HOLA4414

I think Dogbox is confusing a "property bear" with a downright pessimist... :lol:

But I do think there are both on this site... ;)

I'm very bearish on property - but bullish on other things: gold being one.

Now is just a bad time to buy property - why buy a house now, when it it much more likely you will be able to take the same house in a few years for substantially less?

HOLA4415
Guest grumpy-old-man

I think Dogbox is confusing a "property bear" with a downright pessimist... :lol:

But I do think there are both on this site... ;)

I'm very bearish on property - but bullish on other things: gold being one.

Now is just a bad time to buy property - why buy a house now, when it it much more likely you will be able to take the same house in a few years for substantially less?

apparantly classed as an EMO now-a-days ;) they are a GOTH that's very depressed (the benefit of teenagers in the house).

We didn't have this classification of people did we in the 80's ?

you were either PUNK/, SKA or NEW ROMANTIC.......I can't remember anyone being depressed can you ?

I was NEW ROMANTIC btw, looking back now I didn't realise how gay it all looked :o no offence intended as I am not homophobic & as support for the other side I am wearing a pink shirt this very minute ;)

WORLD'S GONE PC MAD :blink:

Edited by grumpy-old-man

HOLA4416

I think you can be optimistic and say that the German army will be crushed, even if the German army aren't happy about it.

the feelings of the GA are irrelevant to a discussion about your optimism in opposing them.

but its a useful analogy 'cos as far as general opinion goes, we the good people of HPC, are "the Germans".

HOLA4417

apparantly classed as an EMO now-a-days ;) they are a GOTH that's very depressed (the benefit of teenagers in the house).

We didn't have this classification of people did we in the 80's ?

you were either PUNK/, SKA or NEW ROMANTIC.......I can't remember anyone being depressed can you ?

I was NEW ROMANTIC btw, looking back now I didn't realise how gay it all looked :o no offence intended as I am not homophobic & as support for the other side I am wearing a pink shirt this very minute ;)

WORLD'S GONE PC MAD :blink:

OK - I'll put my hand up - I had definite new romantic leanings... and yes it did look extremely gay! Around that time I realised I was gay so that look had to go. Had no problem at all being a poof, but certainly didn't want to look like one! :lol: