House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Retail Sector Booms

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,18...c=ticker-103704

UK retail sales strengthened in July, boosted by high demand for food and drink during the hot weather, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said today.

Sales increased by 3.4% on a like-for-like basis from 2.3% in June.

so this will be the July compared against the one just after terror attacks when people were not going in to central London unless they had to and against a World Cup June..... - can I claim that September will show a big rise in spending against September 1939....

Guest X-QUORK

Sales increased by 3.4% on a like-for-like basis from 2.3% in June.

Looks clear enough to me Rachman.

its always explained by some one off occurence

to hot

world cup

what will next months be?

"High sales were a result of unusual UFO activity over London, and we are sure that sales will tail off in coming months."

Theres only one answer hike those rates :D

Good - this means people are NOT cutting back spending - as I predicted (all hail me!!)

Looks like IR will have to rise or they'll fiddle the CPI again and let inflation climb further...

Edited by dnd

My retail clients have never had it so good - just visited one - a clothing retailer - this morning - couldn't get the stock up on the shelves quick enough as it was packed with mainly young people spending like there was no tomorrow - one lady spend £480 on a couple of [rather horrible] jackets and purchases were usually in the hundreds of pounds - shocked! This was in a poorish part of South Wales for goodness sake - not exactly awash with money!

so this will be the July compared against the one just after terror attacks when people were not going in to central London unless they had to and against a World Cup June..... - can I claim that September will show a big rise in spending against September 1939....

I thought the world-cup boosted UK retail spending?

"Has the World Cup effect saved the high street after all?

It certainly seems like it has made a difference, at least. Comet owner Kesa Electricals saw sales jump 11.3% in its first-half. Like-for-like sales - that is, excluding new or refurbished stores - at Comet rose 8.6% in the six months to July 18th. Sales were boosted mainly by strong demand for flat-screen TVs in the run-up to the football tournament." (from article on FirstRung)

Edited by gruffydd

My retail clients have never had it so good - just visited one - a clothing retailer - this morning - couldn't get the stock up on the shelves quick enough as it was packed with mainly young people spending like there was no tomorrow - one lady spend £480 on a couple of [rather horrible] jackets and purchases were usually in the hundreds of pounds - shocked!

Yep, well they would, it's the new winter season stuff coming in - you have to get it quick nowadays or it's all gone...

Nope, haven't put in the Winter ranges yet -

Will be interested to see what happens when they do in a couple of weeks.

G

World Cup supports retail sales

Beer and food sales increased during the World Cup

World Cup-led sales of beer, snacks and sportswear helped to maintain UK retail sales growth in June, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC).

Like-for-like sales in June - which strip out the effect of new store openings - were up 2.3% on a year ago. (BBC)

Well, that hundred-plus billion pounds of new money every year has to go _somewhere_.

Good news though: there's clearly plenty of justification for more interest rate increases.

Nope, haven't put in the Winter ranges yet -

Ahh, that'll be summer sale stuff then - that's why the jackets were horrible....

Good news though: there's clearly plenty of justification for more interest rate increases.

stressing the plural... increases :D

that should certainly sort out the men from the boys, so to speak. A few judicious IR hikes should cut through the bluff, spin, and bluster. Then we'll see just how robust things really are

My retail clients have never had it so good - just visited one - a clothing retailer - this morning - couldn't get the stock up on the shelves quick enough as it was packed with mainly young people spending like there was no tomorrow - one lady spend £480 on a couple of [rather horrible] jackets and purchases were usually in the hundreds of pounds - shocked! This was in a poorish part of South Wales for goodness sake - not exactly awash with money!

I thought the world-cup boosted UK retail spending?

"Has the World Cup effect saved the high street after all?

It certainly seems like it has made a difference, at least. Comet owner Kesa Electricals saw sales jump 11.3% in its first-half. Like-for-like sales - that is, excluding new or refurbished stores - at Comet rose 8.6% in the six months to July 18th. Sales were boosted mainly by strong demand for flat-screen TVs in the run-up to the football tournament." (from article on FirstRung)

Oh please!!!!!!

....look at the likes of Kesa and DSG.They have rather large stakes in eastern europe and asia,where booming economies can more than offset the downturn in domestic spending.You need to look a little closer to home at some of the pure UK-consumer chains,not some multinational mammoth.

you'll find the picture is none too rosy if you strip out overseas earnings.

Let's face it,if people think they can get out of paying the debts they have built up by going bankrupt or doing an IVA,maybe a fair few are doing just that.Spending like there is no tomorrow and letting someone else pick up the tab.Don't these companies who write off debts get tax relief,I think I was reading somewhere.So where is that money coming from?